cheapest rims you'll get

rich if you do decide to do this let me know and i can buy a set of your rims from you for slicks.

Just in case anybody is considering getting these black wheels that are really cheap, they should know they are Steel wheels made for trucks and trailers and are VERY VERY HEAVY.

Just something to consider, as most people are trying to look good AND go fast.

Just in case anybody is considering getting these black wheels that are really cheap, they should know they are Steel wheels made for trucks and trailers and are VERY VERY HEAVY.

Just something to consider, as most people are trying to look good AND go fast.

Actually, Chevy High Performance just did a test with different weight wheels at the strip and the car ran equal times wth different weight rims! I bought billet steel!

Actually, Chevy High Performance just did a test with different weight wheels at the strip and the car ran equal times wth different weight rims! I bought billet steel!

Really? What was the weight difference?

I really cant be sure off the top of my head but I couldnt believe it either! I would think that more weight either way would put more load on the motor which in turn would slow your time?!

There was an article a done by Car Craft (I think) a while back with the same test, how much a difference light-weight wheels really make, and when compared to heavy steel wheels it was hardly worth any E.T. or MPH at the track. The rims on my car now are steel and I only felt okay about buying them after reading that article. Besides, the stock rims are heavy too, so it's not like your car would be any slower if you switched to different steel rims.

Managed to find that article, here's the results they had during their test...

Total weight reduction = 82.08 lbs.
Total performance gain = -0.111 sec, +1.12 mph

Light Wheels Vs Heavy Wheels - Wheel Tech - Comparison - Car Craft

Not worth it in my opinion. If you like a certain set of steel wheels, get them!

This is a good example of how hype can spread through a car community. Get a handful of people preaching about how aluminum wheels and less unsprung weight will shave seconds off of your track time, and suddenly everyone hates steel wheels. Thankfully there are publications like Car Craft to actually test these theories and get true results.

If your car spends most of its life at the track and 1mph or one tenth of a second means the world to you, then maybe the extra expense of lighter wheels is worth it to you. Other than that...

I think that is a pretty good change. At a certain point it get real expensive for those type of gains. Kind of depends on where you are. If your are turning 15's then don't bother with wheels. If you are turning 11's or better then it's a good deal.

I think that is a pretty good change. At a certain point it get real expensive for those type of gains. Kind of depends on where you are. If your are turning 15's then don't bother with wheels. If you are turning 11's or better then it's a good deal.

True, depends on where you're at with modding the car. If you're nearly stock, I'd say you can pick up a tenth of a second with some go-fast parts, and if you want a set of steel wheels, go for it. If you've destroyed your wallet on all the go-fast parts you can find and still want to go faster, then maybe .1seconds with lighter wheels is worth it.

But for the most part I see a lot of street-car owners worried that they shouldn't buy a set of steel wheels that they like and in their case it isn't really a problem.

Yeah a tenth and a mile an hour is pretty damn good. How fast was the car they were testing???

Its not that much, but hey, I have seen people do all kinds of strange things to pick up that extra tenth.

If you were running 11.0s and you got new rims and ran 10.90s, I bet you would think it were worth it!

Yeah a tenth and a mile an hour is pretty damn good. How fast was the car they were testing???

Its not that much, but hey, I have seen people do all kinds of strange things to pick up that extra tenth.

If you were running 11.0s and you got new rims and ran 10.90s, I bet you would think it were worth it!

The linked article had the car running low 12's 12.0-12.1.

what about if you needed to mount slicks on some cheap rims. the quicker times with the slicks would far outweigh the extra weight of the steel wheels slowing you down. 1 second gained with slicks - .1 lost with heavy steel wheels = .9 gained total. not a bad gain on total e.t. Is my estimate of 1 sec accurate with the addition of slicks? If it is, I guess 12's aren't far away.