Charlie got a couple questions

st1nger

This question is long and drawn out so bear with Just to get this out of way not converting my 83 ttype love what I got but have some ?

1st hot 84/85 are throttle body sfi meaning fuel injected throttle body

2nd 86/87 are fuel injected via injector

3rd 84/85 are regulary cooled

4th 86/87 are intercooled via hot exhaust be drawn thru cooler
and injected thru turbo back to intake

5th the intercooler accepts hot exhaust pulled thru cooled "radiator
action" and drawn into turbo and forced back into intake

6th has any one rerouted and put an intercooler on a carb/turbo motor

7th the intake on a 3.8 turbo sfi or injected 84-87 what is the difference if any between GNintake and intake on v6 3800 TPI park ave or a 3800 supercharge

strickly speaking intake manifold/ fuel rail /ecm /chip/injectors

8th saw that 83 indy buick v6 duel turbo is it carbed throttle body or
fuel injected that thing was awsome

not an engineer but trying to understand all the differences, after 83 comes out of rehab want to get another GN or ttype for the other half have a lot of questions so no better place to ask them I hope sound pretty lame but Iam a geek with skills so have to understand first then adjust

82/83 are hard to find so nexted best thing

This question is long and drawn out so bear with Just to get this out of way not converting my 83 ttype love what I got but have some ?

1st hot 84/85 are throttle body sfi meaning fuel injected throttle body

No, the 84-87 have all got SFI (sequential port fuel injection) and not throttle body injection.

2nd 86/87 are fuel injected via injector

Same design as 84-85 but have a slightly different intake system.

3rd 84/85 are regulary cooled

By "cooling do you mean the radiator?

4th 86/87 are intercooled via hot exhaust be drawn thru cooler
and injected thru turbo back to intake

Intercooling is done between the intake side of the turbo and the intake. It has nothing to do with the exhaust system. What it does is to cool the intake air before the fuel is added so the air is more dense allowing for more timing and fuel to be added.

5th the intercooler accepts hot exhaust pulled thru cooled "radiator
action" and drawn into turbo and forced back into intake

See above.

6th has any one rerouted and put an intercooler on a carb/turbo motor

You can't intercool a draw through system because you have air and fuel in the intake charge at the same time. This would cause a change of state and allow the fuel to condense and drop out of the air resulting in puddles in the intake which can be dangerous.

7th the intake on a 3.8 turbo sfi or injected 84-87 what is the difference if any between GNintake and intake on v6 3800 TPI park ave or a 3800 supercharge

strickly speaking intake manifold/ fuel rail /ecm /chip/injectors

The block and heads were revised on the FWD engines after 86 and the heads will physically bolt on but there is no intake out there that is made to fit. It would have to be made from scratch. This has to do with what's called "on center" and "off center" engines. The stock RWD engine is an "off center" which means that the center line of piston bore is off set slightly to the crank throw for the rod. The FWD engines revised this to "on center"

8th saw that 83 indy buick v6 duel turbo is it carbed throttle body or
fuel injected that thing was awsome

not an engineer but trying to understand all the differences, after 83 comes out of rehab want to get another GN or ttype for the other half have a lot of questions so no better place to ask them I hope sound pretty lame but Iam a geek with skills so have to understand first then adjust

82/83 are hard to find so nexted best thing

The indy car was a Stage II engine and is a one off experiment. It is SFI and doesn't have an intercooler. Just imagine what it would've produced if they had put an intercooler on it.:biggrin:

All my replies are in red which made it easier to tell you what you wanted to know.:smile:

so 84-87 all are fuel injected

the turbo draws hot or cold air into the intake where fuel is injected depend on year

so sfi 3.8 motors on other buicks/gm car 84-86 are on center "bottom end"
our motors are off center

the park ave fwd 84-86 is 3.8 sfi the intake looks the same as 84-85 rwd

so sfi turbo == air in up pipe to turbo ,turbo to intake, intake mix with fuel in camber we go fast

sfi 86/87 air in up pipe drawn thru intercooler "colder air"up to turbo,turbo to intake intake to chamber we go faster yet

stage two motor has no open intake strickly thru turbo?

the wildest part about that indy motor none of the clutter and junk in engine compartment

wonder what kind of mpg the indy motor gets

educating myself or trying to somwhat!!!! hear all the arguments on hot air /intercooled of course the 1st and best CT sorry just like these cars class and speed and one better that so many forget we have and own what so many would like to have

The first on center design is the Stage II blocks but the first on center production block is in 90 FWD. All the other blocks are off center, but there's differences in the heads and port configuration.

The 84-86 (?) FWD engines use the same as the RWD blocks when it comes to the heads, but the intake has to be mounted with the throttle body facing the firewall. The cooling passeges are at the wrong end so the water outlet will be at the firewall as well.

You have to understand that clean air comes into the turbo and as it's compressed it heats up. That's why the 84-85 cars are called hot air. The intercooler was added to cool the compressed air down which give the engine closer to ambient air temp which makes more power.

The major difference in the C/T cars and the HA SFI cars is that the fuel is already mixed in with the air when goes through the turbo on the C/T cars. There are advantages and disadvantages to this system. The turbo acts like a giant blender and can blend the fuel better into the air, but it also heats it up. The advantage here is that if you use an alchohol based fuel like E-85 then it will cool the air as it goes through the turbo.

On the HA SFI cars the fuel is added right at the intake port of the head so the only place fuel is in the engine is the head and a vey small portion of the intake. If you add alky to a HA SFI car it has to be either before the turbo (best design but has issues) or after the turbo, which is the most common, or convert to E-85.

The indy engine was a methonol powered car so as far as gas mileage I'm sure it wasn't that good since it takes twice the alky as it does gas to produce the same amount of power. Stociometric ration for gas is 14.7-1 and methonal is 7-1 roughly. Ethonol is closer to gas but it still take more to produce the same amount of power.

?

so if you took an 81-83 block c/t block 8445 head you could put 84-85 3800 sfi intake on that block and the water ports and air thottle would be forward

the 3800 sfi park ave air intake faces forward

Have fully built long block out of 81/82 ct forged pistons dot 3 rods .30 over,heads redone has eldabrock alum high rise intake"will never use" was built to run in a sprint car

was looking at what it would take to make hot air car motor intake wise

realize ecm
hot air body
wire harness
basic accessorys

fuel rail
proper injectors

look forward to nexted project looking at options

We're gonna try this again. Where the water outlet in the RWD intake is located is the front. The FWD intake has the same water inlet on the intake but the outlet is at the rear of the intake. The water runs from one end of the intake to the other under the intake. If you turn the intake around then the water won't flow through the heads but through the block and the back of the heads to the intake. No cooling will happen in the heads.

ok ok I get it out let for cooling is different got it, if i see it or read it I catch on
Thanks for baring with the dum ? just getting head around ct.hot air/intercooled

Kinda went through same process with body work!!! No expert but my friends that are seem to think after a million ?????? I figured it out

You seem to use a lot of common sense in your projects I look at the experts to gain insight Thanks for the info I know you get 100's of questions all the time again thank you for your time

Common sense is the key to most projects if you want them to succeed. I've got almost 30 years of working on cars under my belt now and one of he biggest things I tell people is make sure to use the KISS method.

Keep it simple stupid.:biggrin:

Research and knowledge are your friend and to be honest I still have a lot to learn, but I do a lot of research on what works and what doesn't. I've revised my plans more than once now because after doing even more research I found that the benifits of one thing isn't always worth it in the end.:smile:

And as far as dumb questions, the only one that is dumb is the one that isn't asked.:biggrin:

thanks charlie, so on the up take, but hell on wheels after grasping concept or at least that what I am told. Of course I just think it if your going to do it, do it right the first time less time less cost and a whole lot less gray hair. Thanks again