changing oil ?

iwantatta

I'm changing the oil for the first time on this car and was wondering about starting up the car after changing it.

I read on gntype.org that an orange wire needs to be disconnected and then the engine cranked over for 30-45 seconds to build oil pressure and prevent the car starting up with dry bearings.

Where exactly is this wire? I don't see an orange wire by the battery. Can i just disconnect the battery. Thanks.

Umm, I dont think that will work for ya!!

Gotta have power to turn the car over, so leave the battery connected. There is an orange wire that runs from the positive terminal back to the firewall, trace it back from the battery and you will find the plug.

HTH

Either You fill the oilpump with vaseline or You use a primeshaft and prime up the oilpressure. If You prime the oil, You need to set the camsensor as that´s where You prime it.

Hope this makes sense, just came home from my neighbour and a couple of beers/whiskey...

Thanks. I found it.

I've never done that on my other cars. It feels kind of strange sitting there cranking your car for 30sec and not having it start.

Otherwise, the oil is pretty easy to change on this thing. Especially the filter.

Originally posted by Bird of Prey
never heard of any bull**** like this!?

Me neither. I guess they're just trying to keep these secrets from us. I'll definatley have to do this since the car has been sitting also and I'll be doing the rear main seal so everything will be dry.

Could you get a picture of where the wire is connected at. I think this would be a good thread to be in the TTA FAQ if it really does harm it that much not to perform this when doing an oil change. I know I would have definatley liked to have known this before now.

never heard of anything like this, and yes, i changed oil on a lot of cars.

but when it's mentionned here i'm supposed to do that next time... strange

matt

edit: understand it now. ;)

This is an entertaining thread :)

I'm sure Lunkan thought you had just overhauled your engine. If you did, then that is one way to get the oil pressure up for the first time, but, not for an oil change.... Or, maybe you just feel like putting vaseline everywhere after a couple beers and whiskey ;)

This procedure (cranking the engine to raise oil pressure before allowing an engine startart) is not unique to our cars. Some people like to have oil pressure before allowing the engine to fire after an oil change.

Personally, I like to change the oil when the engine is up to temperature, and, like to put as much oil in the filter as I can before installation. That way, the bearings have warm oil in there before the engine turns again. After an oil change, it takes my TTA less than a heart beat or two before the oil pressure light goes out.

The wire mentioned in the GNTTYPE.org article, is easy to find. It courses downward from the battery terminal closest to the radiator. You'll see a bulge in the wire (that is the connector), that is where you unplug it. I think mine is black.

:)

I'm glad it had nothing to do with the cam sensor. I don't think i even know where that is at yet.

Hopefully this thread does not scare people on how to do an oil change ;). Especially if your doing it for the first time.

yea - for your basic oil change - just prime the filter. i've never heard of priming the engine unless you just did a rebuild.

I wonder why GNtype.org has it as part of their spring cleaning section.

Nowhere in there does it talk about rebuilding an engine. This could be very confusing for newbies like me.

ROTFL

Sometimes You´d better let the PC be when You´ve been drinking.

I only saw "cranking the for 30-45 seconds to build oil pressure", but the proceedure is after a rebuild. I´m sorry for the confusion. I´m crawling back to my vasseline jar now :p

Hi,
I would highly advise priming the system before startup. Yeah, the connector is in the place the other folks have mentioned. The motor will rattle like hell before building oil pressure if it hasn't been started in a while,even if you fill the filter, and that can't be good for the bearings!

Originally posted by iwantatta
I wonder why GNtype.org has it as part of their spring cleaning section.

Nowhere in there does it talk about rebuilding an engine. This could be very confusing for newbies like me.

That is why we have RAZOR check us out every day or so: That way, we'll know just what to do....Using Stock parts of course ;)