Changing lower engine bearings while engine is still in the car.

Originally posted by bsdlinux
Update:

Anyone know where I can pick up a new oil pickup?

Also been checking the bearings , look good so far.

I just bought the "oil screen" (which is the "pickup") from O'Reilly and another from AutoZone, (long story), but it appears to be the right one. You have to explain to the the folks behind the counter, exactly what it is you're looking for, as they will try to give you an oil filter... Idiots!!!:rolleyes:
This piece doesn't look exactly the same on the screen portion, but I had my machinist look at it, and he said it was perfectly adequate. It was about $6.
Just make sure they give you the piece for VIN code 7.

pickup still available

i know this a day late and a dollar short but gm still had the pick-up as of december 2002. just picked mine up. not saying they won't discontinue it any day now like the cam sensor but i was just able to get a new one. hope this helps someone. so what was the verdict with the bearing swap? did the knock go away? i was thining of doing this myself and was wondering the outcome. :confused:

I haven't finished yet, you know the Holidays.:D

However I did check the bearings and they were no damaged. So most of my problem was from the pick-up being clogged. Going to need to get a good oil pressure gauge and another oil pump spring assembly just to make sure.;)

the stock pu has not been discontinued as I purchased one recently from GM parts direct. It is the best too use as it has the bypass in it. sorry I can't find the part number as the box is at home..... let me know later if you need it HTH

i agree with vader 87. why you guy's changing bearings all
the time. There has to be a different reason. Because i only
hear of this with some buick folk only.
what did the bearing look like when removed.
maybe clearance issues.