Changing combo to include Turbo... advice

benoitthegr8

Sociopathic TR Ownership
Ran a thread a few days back in the General tech section and didn't get allot of feedback... I figured I'd try here, see original thread below if interested.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/315323-some-advice-supporting-mods.html

Long story short I'm changing combos, I'm changing to a CPT-66BB. Looking at if the injectors (60lb), converter(3200 stall), and I/C will suffice. I'm thinking FMIC, but not sure which one to get.

BTW, the car is the Grey-T in my sig... thanks.

The injectors and intercooler will be fine but that turbo works best with a 3400-3600 stall from what jack cotton had told me when i was thinking about buying one a while back. If you decide to go front mount the people that i've spoken with who have rjc's really like it.
Hope this helps a little.

My advise would be to run the 6665 t netics and use a stock location Precision intercooler, and sell the AC converter and get a 9.5" PTC. Use a dual nozzle over 23-24psi.

My advise would be to run the 6665 t netics and use a stock location Precision intercooler, and sell the AC converter and get a 9.5" PTC. Use a dual nozzle over 23-24psi.

Bison, weren't you running a 66 a while back well into the low 10's? was wondering how much boost you were pushing? I've got one of Dusty's converters in my other car, what stall do you think for my setup 3000-3200?

Ben

Bison, weren't you running a 66 a while back well into the low 10's? was wondering how much boost you were pushing? I've got one of Dusty's converters in my other car, what stall do you think for my setup 3000-3200?

Ben

Ive gone 114mph in the eighth with a t-netics 6680. I was back pressure limited to 26psi.Ill be running it again this year and looking for 9.60's at that boost level. I went 10.29 with a tired iron headed engine@28.5psi and crappy 1.59 60'. If your going to run a 9.5" PTC call Dusty and order the same one i just ordered last week if your running aluminum heads and 220+ duration with the 6680 or 6668. It should be around 3200 at zero boost/vacuum with a good tune down low. The 6665 will work with a couple hundred less stall speed at zero boost/vacuum. Dusty will be able to spec the converter precisely if you give him your info. You can run the 60lb injectors out if you turn it up enough.

Ive gone 114mph in the eighth with a t-netics 6680. I was back pressure limited to 26psi.Ill be running it again this year and looking for 9.60's at that boost level. I went 10.29 with a tired iron headed engine@28.5psi and crappy 1.59 60'. If your going to run a 9.5" PTC call Dusty and order the same one i just ordered last week if your running aluminum heads and 220+ duration with the 6680 or 6668. It should be around 3200 at zero boost/vacuum with a good tune down low. The 6665 will work with a couple hundred less stall speed at zero boost/vacuum. Dusty will be able to spec the converter precisely if you give him your info. You can run the 60lb injectors out if you turn it up enough.

I called Jack yesterday and ordered 6665, got a good price only paid a few hundred more then some of these guys are asking for used CPT-66BB:confused: we ended up talking guns longer than we talked cars... :D I think I'm going to only address the turbo/converter, then when the engine come out next year I'll look at doing some other things. I don't see going much above 22-24 pounds of boost due to injectors and I'm too sure if I want to run dual nozzel alky just yet, the motor has the stock bottom end :eek: what boost level do you tink this turbo really wakes up at? thanks for the heads up... :D

I called Jack yesterday and ordered 6665, got a good price only paid a few hundred more then some of these guys are asking for used CPT-66BB:confused: we ended up talking guns longer than we talked cars... :D I think I'm going to only address the turbo/converter, then when the engine come out next year I'll look at doing some other things. I don't see going much above 22-24 pounds of boost due to injectors and I'm too sure if I want to run dual nozzel alky just yet, the motor has the stock bottom end :eek: what boost level do you tink this turbo really wakes up at? thanks for the heads up... :D

I can only speak for the 80 and 68 trim ex 66's. My GN1 headed car will run sub 10.50 under 20 psi. It takes boost and rpm to make the power. Saying it really wakes up at any boost level is a bad way to identify any gains. You need to consider mass flow as a whole. If you arent revving over 5500 i doubt you would see any gain vs any of the old p trim turbos with alky. When you start puling out gear ratio and revving over 5500@25+psi you will start making low 10 sec power and from there on the gians will be huge over any of the old school turbines. You wont be close to maxing those injectors out under 25psi with alky. Below those levels there is little to be gained. With dual nozzles you should be able to run 9.80's at full weight with them. The only slightly comparable 66 turbo i was aware of that was for sale was the 6668 that whitettype89 was selling. Its a steal at the price he is asking. It had about 10 miles on it. It will outshine a 6665 over 5700 and 25+psi.

I can only speak for the 80 and 68 trim ex 66's. My GN1 headed car will run sub 10.50 under 20 psi. It takes boost and rpm to make the power. Saying it really wakes up at any boost level is a bad way to identify any gains. You need to consider mass flow as a whole. If you arent revving over 5500 i doubt you would see any gain vs any of the old p trim turbos with alky. When you start puling out gear ratio and revving over 5500@25+psi you will start making low 10 sec power and from there on the gians will be huge over any of the old school turbines. You wont be close to maxing those injectors out under 25psi with alky. Below those levels there is little to be gained. With dual nozzles you should be able to run 9.80's at full weight with them. The only slightly comparable 66 turbo i was aware of that was for sale was the 6668 that was selling. Its a steal at the price he is asking. It had about 10 miles on it. It will outshine a 6665 over 5700 and 25+psi.

Your right the turbo whitettype89 was selling one of the two 66's I was looking at. Let's just say Jack made it worth my while to purchase a new one. There was another guy that has a 6665 that was comparable in price, but he contacted me through the WTB section and had not posted it for sale because it was not pulled off his ride yet. Your talking about making some good power with this turbo, I'll be a bit hesitant to really push it before the girdled block goes into the car. I'll be out of country a few more months before I do anything to the car.... the one fun thing about deploying is buying parts for my toys....:D

"When you start puling out gear ratio and revving over 5500@25+psi you will start making low 10 sec power and from there on the gians will be huge over any of the old school turbines."

Bison,what gears would you recommend?

"When you start puling out gear ratio and revving over 5500@25+psi you will start making low 10 sec power and from there on the gians will be huge over any of the old school turbines."

Bison,what gears would you recommend?
That would depend on the mph needed to be achieved and the measured tire height the car will be running and if you were using slicks or not. Changing the gear ratio from 3.42 wont do much unless you are running it hard and have a really good converter that will load the engine hard enough without being driven over. The fist thing id do is try a set of 29" tall slicks without altering the gears. If your leaving hard and pushing it up top you should pick up e.t.