Champion race intake...TA heads ???

Funny you should bring up the backpressure issue. I just had a nice talk with Patrick at Precision Turbos about it. I am going to install a bung in my header just before the turbo bolts on for a backpressure gauge. I am aware of the issue and he said to take a reading at my desired boost. If I am more than double, I will need a bigger exhaust housing. He said that at 26 lbs I should have no more than double the lbs of backpressure. If so, I will go with a .63 Precision housing, which is closer to .70. I do run a 38mm external wastegate on my 3 inch downpipe. Do you think this will do? I will be running a set of Kenne Bell
headers. I am glad to have guys like you giving me advise. If I need the bigger housing to make it work correctly, let the numbers dictate it. I am a big fan of making things right. I am starting with the smaller and can go bigger. Start too big and you might never know what your missing either.

Thanks
Coach
You may be fine with an external since you can easily increase the spring pressure by switching the springs. There will not be a big change in backpressure by switching to a Precision .63. Maybe enough to squeak out 15-20hp more before you hit the same backpressure to intake pressure ratio. You will be over 2:1 if you try to run 25+psi and rev to 5700. Advancing the cam will help power in a situation like this if you really want to stay with the small housing and p trim wheel.

Which housing will I need to make 600 rwhp or better? If I can get a de-tuned 11 flat /high 10 car out of this engine, thats great. When I go racing and twist it up, low 10's should be capable...correct?

....... I do run a 38mm external wastegate on my 3 inch downpipe. . . . . . .

Bison knows what he is talking about. :cool:
LOTS of nuggets in what he wrote. :cool:

Coach, I think you meant "on the header" (???)
Best of luck with the build!

Bison knows what he is talking about. :cool:
LOTS of nuggets in what he wrote. :cool:

Coach, I think you meant "on the header" (???)
Best of luck with the build!

Bison is very good, I know this.
My wastegate is on my downpipe. Look at TR Custom parts 3 inch pipe. You will see it.

Thanks
Coach

Which housing will I need to make 600 rwhp or better? If I can get a de-tuned 11 flat /high 10 car out of this engine, thats great. When I go racing and twist it up, low 10's should be capable...correct?
I would go with a GTQ/HPQ ex wheel or you will need a lot of spring pressure in the wastegate. You wont have to torture it with 28-30psi and fight backpressure with a bigger ex wheel to get the number. One of my friends has a ball bearing 66 HPQ he is going to sell and it has about 10 miles on it. He went with more turbo and his loss could be your gain. It will spool as fast as your journal 66.

Whats it capable of ? times? hp? How much does he want for it? It will work with my 3200 since it is BB correct?

Coach

Whats it capable of ? times? hp? How much does he want for it? It will work with my 3200 since it is BB correct?

Coach
I went 114 in the eighth with the same turbo last year. You will be driving through your 10" if you want to even come close to maxxing it out. Pm me your phone # and ill have him call you.

I went 114 in the eighth with the same turbo last year. You will be driving through your 10" if you want to even come close to maxxing it out. Pm me your phone # and ill have him call you.

Wow, how much boost and timing on that run?

Wow, how much boost and timing on that run?

26psi was all i could get out of it because of backpressure. 22*. Keep in mind this wasnt a mild build and was being shifted at 6200rpm.

Well Guys,
Just got off the phone with Lee Thompson. He assembled Mike Schwab's engine ( Mike's car is the one who inspired me to build a stroker). It is a 109 with forged stroker crank, Te45a w/ .63 Garrett, ported heads and intake. At 24 lbs with a 3000 stall, he runs 10.60-10.50's in good weather. This is what I have wanted since I saw his car. Maybe I am investing in a little more head than I need, but my choice. With a gasket match and lite polish, the TA's will flow very well with my combo, and leave me room for more later.

Judging by the replies, the TA's are the way to go anyway. A ported stocker intake seems to be the correct choice also.

I love having the ability to get such great advise from knowledgable people. I know Bison wants more turbo, or at least bigger exhaust housing and I understand what he is saying after my talk with Patrick @ Precision, but I am going to start at .63. Swapping turbos or just exhaust housings is an option down the road if I decide to do more racing than driving, but I will do 95% of my time on the street. You guys are the best.

Thanks a million,
Coach

Well Guys,
Just got off the phone with Lee Thompson. He assembled Mike Schwab's engine ( Mike's car is the one who inspired me to build a stroker). It is a 109 with forged stroker crank, Te45a w/ .63 Garrett, ported heads and intake. At 24 lbs with a 3000 stall, he runs 10.60-10.50's in good weather. This is what I have wanted since I saw his car. Maybe I am investing in a little more head than I need, but my choice. With a gasket match and lite polish, the TA's will flow very well with my combo, and leave me room for more later.

Judging by the replies, the TA's are the way to go anyway. A ported stocker intake seems to be the correct choice also.

I love having the ability to get such great advise from knowledgable people. I know Bison wants more turbo, or at least bigger exhaust housing and I understand what he is saying after my talk with Patrick @ Precision, but I am going to start at .63. Swapping turbos or just exhaust housings is an option down the road if I decide to do more racing than driving, but I will do 95% of my time on the street. You guys are the best.

Thanks a million,
Coach
No harm in trying what you have. Im curious to see how much boost you can get out of it before you hit the backpressure limit like i did. I know that HPQ wheel would drop backpressure a bunch even if you used a small .63 housing.

Thanks Bison.
When backpressure becomes an issue, I will be picking your brain for the first thing to do. If I can get my car to run anything like Mike's, I will be more than satisfied. I am installing a port and will test backpressure as Patrick @ Precision told me to. Hoping to stay near the 2.0:1, if not then we will be talking after I get some numbers.

Thanks alot. It is great to learn from your expierence.
Donnie

Thanks Bison.
When backpressure becomes an issue, I will be picking your brain for the first thing to do. If I can get my car to run anything like Mike's, I will be more than satisfied. I am installing a port and will test backpressure as Patrick @ Precision told me to. Hoping to stay near the 2.0:1, if not then we will be talking after I get some numbers.

Thanks alot. It is great to learn from your expierence.
Donnie

Once you get to 2:1 or slightly higher you will likely not be able to turn the boost up anymore. It will just taper off as rpm climbs.

Put an XFI on my car today and removed the stock MAF with one screen. Buried the 3 bar MAP sensor i have for my XFI instantly. It appears that the MAF is a huge restriction over 450whp and limiting boost. If it stays together its going to pick up a bunch.

Put an XFI on my car today and removed the stock MAF with one screen. Buried the 3 bar MAP sensor i have for my XFI instantly. It appears that the MAF is a huge restriction over 450whp and limiting boost. If it stays together its going to pick up a bunch.

I have been telling guys the stock MAF is not that good for years.
Mike

I have been telling guys the stock MAF is not that good for years.
Mike
We have known for years its a restriction but i cant justify spending $500 to replace it and still not have total control over the fuel and timing at all angles knowing i was going to put an XFI on it anyway. Its not much of a problem up to 450whp beyond that its a problem. It seems that if you are running a small compressor hard its more of a problem. I was able to get 559whp with 21* a few years back sucking through a stock MAF with a screen. Boost was around 24-25psi. That was with a 72mm comp wheel. This is a TE61 with a much smaller wheel and it was limiting it to about 26 psi and hit 474whp with 21*. Both turbos had the same 76 trim wheels the 72 had a .85 Precision housing and the 61 a Garrett .63.

Hey Bison,
Do you know Mike Schwab??? I do not know if he is on the board, but his car is AWESOME!!! Lee Thompson built it. It still has the stock ECM and MAF with a 45a and .63 Garrett. Do not know his rwhp, but he has no problem running mid 10's all day long. Saw him do it at Columbus in 2008 and Norwalk in 2009. Wish he could chime in on more of his build. If I can build what he has, I will be extremely happy. I want to tune it back to turn key 11 flat for street use and then add a few pounds of boost at the track and run 10.5/10.4's and drive home. I think KevinB might know Mike. Maybe he will chime in if he knows any more. I will PM him.

Thanks
Coach

Hey Bison,
Do you know Mike Schwab??? I do not know if he is on the board, but his car is AWESOME!!! Lee Thompson built it. It still has the stock ECM and MAF with a 45a and .63 Garrett. Do not know his rwhp, but he has no problem running mid 10's all day long. Saw him do it at Columbus in 2008 and Norwalk in 2009. Wish he could chime in on more of his build. If I can build what he has, I will be extremely happy. I want to tune it back to turn key 11 flat for street use and then add a few pounds of boost at the track and run 10.5/10.4's and drive home. I think KevinB might know Mike. Maybe he will chime in if he knows any more. I will PM him.

Thanks
Coach

I dont know him. He has a nice tight combo if hes running that well with those parts.

Mike goes out of the country a lot for work. Lee is probably going to be your best bet of getting a hold of him.

I'd just put a 70 on it and call it done. With the ta stuff and intake plus the stroker, you have me beat big time in hp potential. All I have is a budget ported set of older gn1's, stock stroke and ported stock intake and run about 6500 rpms. The 70 is fine for the street imo. I run around with about 20 psi on the street and its way more than enough to get you into trouble. I smoked a 6.0 99 camaro that runs high tens. We did a couple highway pulls and the 20 psi was enough to put a few cars on him. That was with 93 octane with a little 108 mixed in for safety. The engine was probably very much heat soaked too....we were returning from a cruise in that was about 40 miles away, all highway driving It'll run 10.3's all day long on dr's with that tune.
I wonder if mike runs a 63 housing with his stroker? I never even thought of asking. I know another fast ths car that runs low 10s runs the bigger housing on his 45.

Hey Bison,

Thanks
Coach

Coach, check the THS section on this board as Mike has a write up on his car in that section.

Take care, Kip