Champion or TA heads best flow #s

Wrong question?

Horsepower comes from airflow through the heads. HP equals $$$$. How much do you want to spend, or can afford to spend?

For about $5000 you can get an excellent flowing set of TA or Champion heads, or ~$2000 for a decent set. Depends on what you want to achieve, and how you are going to get there?

Other factors in your build will also be needed to determine this answer.

Only way is back to back dyno challenge on same short block!

Nick, Can you give us some flow numbers on that $2000 set and also the $5000 set along with what gets done to each?
Thanks, Kip

Re: Wrong question?

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Horsepower comes from airflow through the heads. HP equals $$$$. How much do you want to spend, or can afford to spend?

For about $5000 you can get an excellent flowing set of TA or Champion heads, or ~$2000 for a decent set. Depends on what you want to achieve, and how you are going to get there?

Other factors in your build will also be needed to determine this answer.

PMed you

Originally posted by Kip
Nick, Can you give us some flow numbers on that $2000 set and also the $5000 set along with what gets done to each?
Thanks, Kip

Ditto, please send the same info over to me too please....

Nick:
I might be doing heads shortly and I am interested in the same info.

NastyGn quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 87grandnational
Does champion make the GN1s? and if they do, do they come cast iron, or aluminum?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They make both.
FWIW & IMHO:
This could be open to interpretation.
Champion Racing Heads seems to use the moniker/logo "GN1"
on products they Design & Manufacture, or manufacture, depending on how you look at it. Their ported irons are just referred to as Champion Ported Irons, as they do not manufacture the head, they use only Buick heads that are already in existence and rework it to their configuration/standards.

They have an excellent user friendly site:

http://www.championracingheads.com/

Just wondering about the champions...for 2000 you can get a full port job correct? I know the TA heads are quite a bit more but how do you upgrade to 5000 for the champions??? custom port job???

Originally posted by Kip
Thanks, Kip

We are still working on flow numbers and costs, but here is some info:

The $5k heads include LOTS of special items such as raised ports and intake done to match, exotic valves, special retainers and springs, high lift paired rockers, etc. This is about max we can get from aftermarket, stock type heads.

A good. high performance set of worked alum heads will run between $2500-3000 depending on choice of parts.

Typical flow numbers would be:

$5 heads - intake 280 cfm @ .600" lit

$2500-3k - intake 260 cfm @ .600" lift

$2k - intake 220 cfm @ .600" lift

I am not trying to flame here but

1) How come the new heads were not designed to flow into the 300 + cfm arena? Why not do a new ground up head design with a special intake mani that flow some impressive numbers? I find it odd that there was a bad ass block made from scratch to run 8's and 9's for $4k and then a set of heads that sort of follow the heard and flow 260 ported.

Guys will pay $2.5k for heads if they flow big numbers out of the box, but as I see it, there are so many heads all around the same flow numbers thats its logical to buy which ever is the cheapest. I think this crowd has shown that we will spend the money if the part will produce big numbers.

I would pay $3k for a set of GN heads and custom intake that flow over 300cfm out of the box, and 4K if it would go 330+ ported.

The pontiac guys got a new IA2 block and a new set of AL heads that flow 425 out of the box and up to 490 fully ported with a bigger valve. Out of the box cost $2500 with valve seats and guides. Watch them all buy that head and BOP intake instead of the cheaper Edelbrock heads ($1400), myself included in the coming years.

If you build it, they will come.
I am just waiting the GN heads to make me come;)
That being said, I will most likely buy the $3k head:D

Originally posted by DR.BOOSTER
I am not trying to flame here but

1) How come the new heads were not designed to flow into the 300 + cfm arena? Why not do a new ground up head design with a special intake mani that flow some impressive numbers? I find it odd that there was a bad ass block made from scratch to run 8's and 9's for $4k and then a set of heads that sort of follow the heard and flow 260 ported.

<snip>

That's where the SII heads come into play. If you need the big flow numbers, they'll get you there and then some.
It would be quite difficult getting large enough ports/runners built into a stock sized head and try and get the flow numbers of the SII heads. That's why the SII heads are so tall/large, to accomodate the huge ports/valves/runners needed to flow in the 300's