Centerline Telstar wheel weight

Centerline

WOODY is right...the BS only goes to 4.75...that's one piece of information I forgot to post. He is also CORRECT as far as what they mentioned about stressing the wheel. THINK about how this would set the wheel. A 7" wheel with 5" BS is a little extreme...it might look something like this :
_ ______
|
_|______

The wheels on imports can do this due to the geometry setup of the suspension and they are "usually" much lighter than our cars. HTH...

John C.
G.M.
Platinum Motorsports
"Any tires/wheels @ lowest prices guaranteed!"
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->Centerline & American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer.

Well, I'm talking about 15" wheels, so may be a difference. I'll let you know what shows up Thursday. Thanks for the info. John.

Can anybody tell what kinda tires can be run on a 15x8" wheel with 4" backspacing? I'm talkin' radial tires. I heard of people running drag radials size 275/60/15 on same sized wheels, with rubbing on hard corners. Is it so bad that it would hinder daily driving?

275X60's fit fine on 15X8 with 4" backspace....shouldn't rub unless your springs are bad.......275X50's are another story tho

I think the confusion is we are talking 15" and 17" Telstars. Woody from OK, What size are your rear tires? 275/60/15's are 28" tall, and just wondering how tall yours are? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, Telstars in 16" and 17" dont have the correct bolt pattern for our cars. That is the whole reason I went to GTAs. I tried to order some 16s for my GN last summer and they told me that they didnt make them in the 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern.........am I correct or???? Thanks

I have 275X40X17 on the rear and 245X45X17 on the front........the fronts rubbed like a b@^#h after I lowered it( to the point of not being able to drive it)......before lowering? no problem!

The PO had bought the wheels from a guy who had them on a Aerocoupe Monte Carlo..........they were running 40's on the front.........consequently the left front wheel has a ding on it from hitting a pothole, or something too hard.....that is why I went with 45's on the front....something with a little more sidewall to absorb and cushion some of the things you can encounter in everyday driving...........

By the way........I don't know the backspacing on the rears but they are 8" wide..........I suspect they are 3.75 but haven't verified it.........

Woody

Originally posted by azgn
275X60's fit fine on 15X8 with 4" backspace....shouldn't rub unless your springs are bad.......275X50's are another story tho
Thanks for the reply Azgn... have you had personal experience with this set-up?

that's what I use on the street & strip......15X7 on the front and 15X8 on the back......275X60 BFG's street .....28X9 ET Drags strip
215X65 in front

I'm with Woody...... exact same setup. I just haven't ran slicks yet, but I've cut 1.76 60' with the DR's.

hey John I emailed ya to get prices on the Telstars but you never got back to me. I want to move on these wheels now.. :)

Well the reason I wanted 8" wide rims in the rear was so that I could run wider tires. But I don't think the rims are the limiting factor, it's the wheel-wells and/or frame of the car, right? So if I kept the heavy stock 15x7's, I could run 275/60/15 on the street, or if I got 15x8 wheels, I could still only run 275/60/15? That's a bummer.

wheels

Frank,
Yes i got your e-mail but it stated that you wouldn't be available until wednesday so i held out on replying. I wasn't even around today as I was out in Rochester at Tanya's parinatology appointment at Strong Hospital and then I brought Eric Yocius' wheels down to him in Binghamton. Sooooo, today was a rough day for me and I apologize but I wanted to make sure Eric got his wheels....just taking care of my customers. I just now got home and it's close to 11 p.m. and I'm clicking on your e-mail now. Take care...

John C.
G.M.
Platinum Motorsports

In the FWIW department ...

I just received my Telstars from Jegs, 15 x 7", 4.75 bolt circle, 5" backspace. P/N is 135706547. $267/pr shipped to door. If you go to Jegs online catalog, and search under Telstar, last listing is this rim. I hope it gives me the clearance I need with the Global West suspension. Tires will be 225/70/15, or 215/70/15 if made, or 215/65/15. Take care.

Just got MY Telstars today too:)
15x7 4" bs fronts and 15x8 4" bs rears..
$500 shipped to my door:) These are even better looking in person! :) I can't wait to put em on..

telstar cap redesign

Just to enlighten those considering Telstars,

The "earlier" versions had a stamped steel center cap that (in my opinion) was not very attractive for the wheel. It was squarish and looked more like a truck center cap. When I ordered my other set recently for slicks, the wheels came with a new cap design with more of a tapered tip and a black center emblem. The new caps look way cool and give a more racy appearance. This is one of the best wheel styles for our cars, and you're different from all the draglites and prostars. Just my .02.....

I think they are the best also...it is just too bad ya can't get 3.5" back space...maybe if we started a letter writing campaign............

I absolutely agree. Ever since I saw a T type abour 5 years with a set of Telstars, I *KNEW* That was the wheel I would get someday.. In so stoked.. I love these wheels:)

Frank, it looks like John at Platinum really took care of you! I will give him a buzz when I order the rears - I just needed these particular wheels with the deep bs, and seems Jegs is only one to carry them. Now get out there kick some boo-tey!