Center Section Endplay

dalesteraz

Hello all,My first post here though I have been taking advantage of the info on 200-4r's for many years..Thanks to everyone for the great info available here! My question: I'm in the process of rebuilding a KZF but have no endplay at center support, even with no selective washer on output shaft. Endplay was .002 on rear section, low/reverse oil feed hole lines up properly in the case, but after installing forward and direct cluthes/housing not enough play to seat snap ring on center support. I have rebuilt a few of these, but not often enough (obviously) to be an expert. Thanks for any advice!!

Are you sure you have all the clutch plates lined up properly in the forward and direct drums?

play

Are you sure you have all the clutch plates lined up properly in the forward and direct drums?

With the forward and direct mated on the bench you should have 5/8 in. of the forward sticking out. But when assembling that distance is probably getting greater and will stay that way unless you are shaking it around untill all drop down. Hope this makes sense. Have you removed and reinstalled a few times? maesure each time and see it the distance is the same each time.

Did you forget to install a thrust bearing or thrust washer in the rear assembly somewhere? Can you push the direct drum all the way onto the center support outside the trans...sealing rings possibly hanging up on the inside of the direct drum? Are you using any rollerized bearings on the center support or on the front of the forward drum?

I finally got a chance to hit the garage last night. I found a chip/chunk of aluminum on top of the rear interior/sun gear bearing, creating my clearance problem. I had checked rear end play on the bench and must have picked up the chunk when I put the rear section into the case. I keep a fairly sterile work bench but......The chip is probably from a broken center support on a previous build.....ANyway, I'm glad I got it out , geometry is all good now.....thanks for the input