Cat converter ?

HellOnWheels

HellOnWheels
For those of you out there using a catalytic converter (aftermarket) on your turbo car, which do you recommend in a 3" version? I'm looking at the Torque Tech one.

Thanks,
HOW

One important statistic in a cat. in any diameter size, is the proper length to fit the downpipe to flange distance.

The need varies due to downpipe size length and exhaust mounting although that flange spot stays the same with most aftermarket exhausts.

Downpipe length varies between manuf. however.

Measure the length you need first to get a good fit.

One important statistic in a cat. in any diameter size, is the proper length to fit the downpipe to flange distance.

The need varies due to downpipe size length and exhaust mounting although that flange spot stays the same with most aftermarket exhausts.

Exactly, I had an exhaust issue when I took the stock downpipe off and bolted in the ATR 3" downpipe.

Salvage6...I have NO idea what you're talking about?? Would you please enlighten me.

I have a 3" THDP.

Thanks,
HOW

So you already either have a cat or a test pipe on now.
I bought a 3" universal cat and had it welded into my test pipe.

Nope, don't have a test pipe or converter, just a 3" single shot. The converter is used as a drone killer.

HOW

The 4 bolt flange is fixed do to the mounting bracket location at the tranny mount area, assuming the single shot you have uses one.

If not the length of the cat. may affect where your tailpipe lines up or the length of the single shot under the car.

With my THDP it used a short cat. which was hollow, to use the 15" Random Tech. cat. with the stock hanger and 4 bolt flange I had to hack 3" off of it to make it fit. :eek:

It depends on what your entire exhaust system consists of the length of cat. you need, the THDP is usually longer than most pipes requiring a shorter cat.

With my THDP it used a short cat. which was hollow, to use the 15" Random Tech. cat. with the stock hanger and 4 bolt flange I had to hack 3" off of it to make it fit. :eek:

I used this part # 141-30000- 3" inlet/outlet (round) or this one 181-30000- 3" inlet/outlet (round) can't remeber. but it's shorter than 15", I'll measure it when I get home.

OK guys, THANKS for all the information and suggestions but, the bottom line for me is keepin' 'er quite (or is it quiet?), so I'll probably go with a converter that is the closest to stock-as far as restriction is concerned.

I've owned and driven this black beauty for 20 years come December, I've had both dual and the present single 3" exhaust systems systems on her including just about ever design of muffler out there including a set of super traps, you know, those sound "adjustable" mufflers-NONE killed the drone to stock levels or even got close in my opinion. The best sounding and LEAST of drone is the 2 spiral flows that I have on it now (one muff at the cat location the other before the axle).

I have not tried the 3 muffler setup like Bob Bailey has on his car...duals plus crossflow.

This time I'm going with the 3" mandrel bent from Torque Tech, gonna have the converter back in line with the sprials located before the axle.....I just hope it works!

At this point I don't mind a little exhaust restriction..I'll just up the boost and alky.

Thanks again, I do appreciate!
HOW

Assuming the Torque Tech. is a stock location GM 4 bolt flange type exhaust, like most full aftermarket systems are, you still need to measure what length cat. you need.

A stocker length cat. I believe is way too long to fit in there with a THDP.

Measure twice order once. ;)

The Random Tech. cat did cut way down on the drone on my 2.5" piped Kenne Bell stainless system with stainless Ultraflow mufflers.

I still like the hollow THDP short one on it unless emissions is due. :smile:

I used this part # 141-30000- 3" inlet/outlet (round) or this one 181-30000- 3" inlet/outlet (round) can't remeber. but it's shorter than 15", I'll measure it when I get home.
OK said I would even tho it doesn't matter now

Cat was only about 11" long, I cut it out of the 83 and had it welded in to fit the 86 exhaust.

P1010060.jpg

Since I moved from Florida to Colorado, I need a Catalytic Converter now to pass emissions. I was going to get the CAT from Cotton's. I've got a 3" ATR downpipe connected to a test pipe then to the stock system. I'm going to change out the CAT back soon but I need to pass emissions first. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Do a Google search for cat converters in 3" and you will be AMAZED at the mark-up on cat converters!:eek: I just bought one for UNDER $50 and it is all stainless.
The three muffler system is the BEST way to eliminate the drone. PERIOD!!!! It takes a bit of finnese to get it to fit, but WELL worth it. It is capable of running 10.00's and is church mouse quiet. I will install one on my car as soon as I can get to it. I have the mufflers, just need time. (unless someone buys my Twin Turbo car first)