cast iron flow numbers???????

TURBOELKY

I've been looking on different sites, trying to find maximum flow rates for cast iron heads. Does anyone on here have info on this? It does not matter where they came from, just looking for the best flowing cast iron head numbers as a reference. I have to build a set of heads, but they have to stay iron. Champions website did not have flow numbers, neither did turbobuickheads.com Those are the only sites I know of that carries fully ported iron heads. Thanks guys!!!:cool:

oh yeah, pics if you got them.:D

I've been looking on different sites, trying to find maximum flow rates for cast iron heads. Does anyone on here have info on this? It does not matter where they came from, just looking for the best flowing cast iron head numbers as a reference. I have to build a set of heads, but they have to stay iron. Champions website did not have flow numbers, neither did turbobuickheads.com Those are the only sites I know of that carries fully ported iron heads. Thanks guys!!!:cool:

oh yeah, pics if you got them.:D

Start with a set of stage 1 irons if you are restricted to produciotn style heads. There is a virgin set on here for sale for $500. Have the valve guides relocated so you can get a 1.83-1.85 intake valve in, custom spacers for a set of T&D rockers, and run a bigger bore engine if possible or notch the 3.8 bore block. I know KD had a few custom sets back in the day that had 1.83/1.6 valves and some really nice bowl work. I cant recall the flow numbers but they were at least as good as anything ive seen posted on here. If your only restriction is iron heads id consider using a set of iron stage 2's and building around the head. You should go into more detail about your goals. A lot more than most would think could be done.

Shane has a set I had done for him that flow right at 230 CFM at .600. Theyre severaly reworked and have 1.90/1.60 valves in them.

I MAYBE could get another set done but my head guy has actually quit porting heads full time. He may would do another set if I asked nice.

Be forewarned, theyre very expensive. You also need custom rockers for them.

I only know of 2 other sets of iron heads that flow on par with these and I dont know where either set is at the moment. I know Tony DeQuick had 1 set of them, the other set is probably still in Washington.

my machinist is up for the head task, he had a book on v6 heads with big valves in it. So i'm off for more info on this subject, and I believe Bison just answered it! Cook did tell me about relocating the valve guide, and was not a big deal. This is going on a big cubic inch engine, so the small combustion chamber will also be modified around the 4" bore. Goal is to un-shroud the valves, being I dont have an issue with valve size. I do have t&d shaft rockers so the spacer issue would be addressed. The reason for the iron heads, is to help with head gasket issues/clamping force. Going stage 2 iron heads is an ideal, and would actually be cheaper if a production manifold fits. I need headers, and want to go 4 bolt anyways....anybody have some?

Shane has a set I had done for him that flow right at 230 CFM at .600. Theyre severaly reworked and have 1.90/1.60 valves in them.

I MAYBE could get another set done but my head guy has actually quit porting heads full time. He may would do another set if I asked nice.

Be forewarned, theyre very expensive. You also need custom rockers for them.

I only know of 2 other sets of iron heads that flow on par with these and I dont know where either set is at the moment. I know Tony DeQuick had 1 set of them, the other set is probably still in Washington.
was this a 8445 head, or stage 1 iron heads (6293's?)

The reason for the iron heads, is to help with head gasket issues/clamping force.
The production castings and possibly the 6293 stage 1's are no where near as reinforced as an aluminum aftermarket head in the combustion chamber area. The aftermarket heads were designed with much more thickness on the intake side of the combustion chambers. Pinning the combustion chamber and pre-loading it outward .001 or so before milling will definitely decrease the deflection at high cylinder pressures with production irons. You would be better off going with a 6 bolt block and heads if you want extra clamping force.A production style intake would likely not work on the stage 2 castings since they have much more port volume.

The production castings and possibly the 6293 stage 1's are no where near as reinforced as an aluminum aftermarket head in the combustion chamber area. The aftermarket heads were designed with much more thickness on the intake side of the combustion chambers. Pinning the combustion chamber and pre-loading it outward .001 or so before milling will definitely decrease the deflection at high cylinder pressures with production irons. You would be better off going with a 6 bolt block and heads if you want extra clamping force.A production style intake would likely not work on the stage 2 castings since they have much more port volume.
the block and rotating assembly are already being machined. There will be no block and head changes, but modifications to what I have is still possible. 4.1's apparently have head gasket issues, but what are people doing to resolve them? this is my only concern. Head flow will play a big factor in what I'm trying to do, but I want to stay away from aluminum heads. I know they flow WAY better, but how many people have ran great numbers with iron heads and a good tune??? I know you have an answer for that Bison:biggrin: I was actually thinking of doing cooper rings instead of head gaskets, but the cost was a little high. Although they are reuseable, I dont think the cost is practical unless I was really going to push the engine super hard.

the block and rotating assembly are already being machined. There will be no block and head changes, but modifications to what I have is still possible. 4.1's apparently have head gasket issues, but what are people doing to resolve them? this is my only concern. Head flow will play a big factor in what I'm trying to do, but I want to stay away from aluminum heads. I know they flow WAY better, but how many people have ran great numbers with iron heads and a good tune??? I know you have an answer for that Bison:biggrin: I was actually thinking of doing cooper rings instead of head gaskets, but the cost was a little high. Although they are reuseable, I dont think the cost is practical unless I was really going to push the engine super hard.
Its a lot harder to make power when you start revving over 6000 with iron heads compared to race ported aluminum heads. If your running a hydraulic cam and production block i would be more concerned with block failure. The head gaskets should hold. Id just use a Cometic on the 4.1 bore.

was this a 8445 head, or stage 1 iron heads (6293's?)

8445s

I have a set of ATR Stage 2 single turbo headers at the shop for sale, BTW if you decide to go to Stage 2 route.

dang, so many options! I think a reworked iron head will limit me just enough to keep the block safe, yet still make eough power to push the 3200 lb elky pretty fast. I discussed this with another member who dipped into the 9's with off the shelf champion irons, in a heavier car with less ci's. the iron stage 2 head combo sounds real good, but i've already bought what I need for stock heads. I was ok, but now i'm lost lol. hey, thanks a lot guys, I hope this post turns helpful with options forother guys to choose from. drop me your number chevota, I may still be interested in those heads, I lost your number.