CARB Certification Letter for 1986 TR...

mgmshar

Way back when I bought my car, there was this sticker in the glove box with a bar code and the number "16057464" on it. It found its way into a box for several years. Recently, I stumbled upon this sticker again. I did an internet search for the number (which looks like a GM part number), and I found an interesting document. The attached PDF file is a scanned copy of the letter written by the California Air Research Board (CARB) in 1986 stating that the 1986 Regal T Type Coupe had been certified. It even lists the emissions output (hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and NOX) that they found during their test.

Some of you history buffs might get a kick out of it.

I now know that 16057464 is one of the ECU part numbers for the 1986 TR. Guess I'll put the sticker on the ECU when I get a chance!

Attachments

• gm_pc_a0060356_3d8_ta0.pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 71
Might want to contact Mr. Kirban about it since it's an unusual item. I doubt very many have ever seen one before and Dennis might be interested in duplicating it.;)

looks like they beat the emissions standards by a lot... wonder how those numbers compare to current model year standards?

When Arizona adopted the IM-240 Federal emission test standard, which was more stringent than the California smog test requirements, we could get a slightly modified GN [low 11 sec.] to pass here even without a converter.

The Buick GN sequential electronic fuel injection was years ahead of contemporary production vehicles which was apparent in its performance as well as very low emissions. :)

With 25 year newer computers, the current vehicles are much "cleaner" than a stock GN, and the newer cars have much stiffer emission standards.

The big emission problem auto manufacturers has years ago was the very high emissions at cold start, and during the first 30-60 seconds of warm up. My new truck has heat flowing within a minute of start up.

For those who are looking at this thread on their phone or who don't have Adobe Reader installed, here are some JPEG images of the pages.

It's amazing what you can find on the internet if you happen to type in the correct search terms.

While I'm at it, here's the internet link that had this document: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/1986/gm_pc_a0060356_3d8_ta0.pdf

Actually, it looks like you can look up the CARB certification document for any car/engine that was certified. Go to the link below and read carefully to figure out how to search for a car/engine combination.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php

During my last emissions test in NW Indiana (on the rolls), my readings were 0.53 HC, 1.40 CO, and 0.75 NOx (all in units of "grams per mile", same as the CARB certification). So, I didn't meet the CARB standards, but I did easily pass the Indiana standards (which are 2.00 HC, 30.00 CO, and 3.00 NOx). Not bad considering all of my mods.

Enjoy!

Page1.jpg
Page2.jpg
Page3.jpg
Page4.jpg