car wont shift out of first

bigal915

When full throttling the car it doesn't want to shift and red lines until you let off the gas. Then it will shift. This only seems to happen on hard launches and only from a stop. Driving normally it seems to upshift and downshift perfect through town. :confused:Anyone have any ideas? could it be the TV cable not properly adjusted? could the governor in the transmission be bad? any suggestions would be helpful. I can try to get a video this weekend and post it if needed.

I just went thru the same deal TV sticking wont be long and all u gonna have is 1 st gear. THAT'S IF YOU ARE THE HAVING SAME PROBLEM AS I DID. Thats how mine started under load hit limter a few times then all gone.Hows the trans oil look ? If you said good drop pan look at the TV in the valvebody. good luck
When full throttling the car it doesn't want to shift and red lines until you let off the gas. Then it will shift. This only seems to happen on hard launches and only from a stop. Driving normally it seems to upshift and downshift perfect through town. :confused:Anyone have any ideas? could it be the TV cable not properly adjusted? could the governor in the transmission be bad? any suggestions would be helpful. I can try to get a video this weekend and post it if needed.

i just replaced the tv cable is it possible it wasnt adjusted properly? I flushed the trans 100 miles ago if that so the fluids still good.

How do you adjust it? Do you adjust it at the throttle body or with the pedal? I looked up some procedures and i'm not sure which way you do it.

Here is how to adjust the TV cable.

Press the D button on the TV cable bracket and hold in.
Pull the TV cable towards you until it stops.
Release D button.
Release TV cable.
Press gas pedal to the floor until you hear the click of the TV cable.

You should be good to go. Brad

At the throttle body, you will see a black piece that can be pushed in to make the adjustment. (driver's side)

ok so i adjusted that tv cable and its alot better now when shifting but still when im at 100% throttle it still wont shift. does anyone have any other ideas?:confused:

ok so i adjusted that tv cable and its alot better now when shifting but still when im at 100% throttle it still wont shift. does anyone have any other ideas?:confused:

Add a qt of fluid and try it again Ill bet that will do the trick.

how many quarts do these transmissions hold? i just drained and refilled it and i think i put about 4 quarts in.

After looking at the manual for my 85, total capacity for the 200-4R is 11 quarts listed as "overhaul". On "drain and fill" I think it said 3.5 quarts

Probably more like 5 or 6 on a drain & fill, depends how long it sits & how fast you converter drains down.