Car Trivia Question

SpeedRacerX

Ok, I'm bored. Here's an easy test of your car knowledge. Maybe Dennis will chime in.

I owned this car. Like the Grand National, it was also a late 80's, 6 cylinder, turbo, 2-door, with GNX-mesh-style wheels and another GM partnership with ASC Mclaren.

First to guess correctly gets my respect OR a cookie but not both. Lol.

Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Never thought about that one !! Good thinking !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89 Grand Prix turbo coupe
Correct. Cookie on its way. 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with ASC MCLAREN package. 3.1L turbo. Had a lot of neat stuff for the day like HUD, wide body, hood vents, etc. Downside was front wheel drive. Lots of torque steer. Mine was black. Tried to put an adjustable boost controller on it but had no clue what I was doing back then. It was intercooled also.

Had a lot of convenience features and gadgets in the interior.

Last edited:
Not mine but an example.
26462960001_large.jpg

Correct. Cookie on its way. 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix SE with ASC MCLAREN package. 3.1L turbo. Had a lot of neat stuff for the day like HUD, wide body, hood vents, etc. Downside was front wheel drive. Lots of torque steer. Mine was black. Tried to put an adjustable boost controller on it but had no clue what I was doing back then.

Had a lot of convenience features and gadgets in the interior.
I'll take chocolate chip. :) The only 89 Grand Prix turbo coupe I remember seeing was at a car show back in the early 90's.

I'll take chocolate chip. :) The only 89 Grand Prix turbo coupe I remember seeing was at a car show back in the early 90's.
And they only made 749 in '89. I wish I still had the car for Nostalgia reasons. I totaled mine. Fell asleep at the wheel coming home late from a girlfriend's house. Woke up a split second before hitting a tree, just enough for my reaction to turn the wheel right and the tree took out the whole side of the car. Glass in my scalp and all. Close call.

Amazingly, my ex mother-in-law had one of them.

She ended up with it because she had an old #2 of 3 "Wild Turkey" collectable sign some Pontiac dealer in Kentucky wanted. Her son lived there and somehow found out this guy looking for this particular sign and called me.

I reached out to him and to my surprise, this guy was willing to trade her straight across for his wife's "Demo" car. A car identical to the pictured and described above.

I got on a plane, flew out to Kentucky from Arizona, and drove back a 3K '89 black 89 Grand Prix Turbo Coupe. I don't even know what the car would have retailed at back then, but a booze sign vs. a practically new car was a no brainer at that time in her life.

She had it for just shy of 2 months before someone ran a red light and totaled it. :(

Amazingly, my ex mother-in-law had one of them.

She ended up with it because she had an old #2 of 3 "Wild Turkey" collectable sign some Pontiac dealer in Kentucky wanted. Her son lived there and somehow found out this guy looking for this particular sign and called me.

I reached out to him and to my surprise, this guy was willing to trade her straight across for his wife's "Demo" car. A car identical to the pictured and described above.

I got on a plane, flew out to Kentucky from Arizona, and drove back a 3K '89 black 89 Grand Prix Turbo Coupe. I don't even know what the car would have retailed at back then, but a booze sign vs. a practically new car was a no brainer at that time in her life.

She had it for just shy of 2 months before someone ran a red light and totaled it. :(

Now that's a Bummer !! Now what is the next trivia jeopardy Question, since we all are bored ..

Just saw this post....I would have guessed the Pontiac actually one was for sdale near my office ugly green looked like it was a barn find few weeks back...

car never garnered much excitment kinda like the olds touring sedans that ASC had a part of as well.. although I did own and sell 2 of the Olds touring sedans...

congrats to the winner....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Now that's a Bummer !! Now what is the next trivia jeopardy Question, since we all are bored ..

Bored? Perhaps location means a difference.

Phoenix. Can't wait for November and a scheduled private track rental in Tucson. :D

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Wild Horse Pass in Phoenix sucks.

I'll drive the 2 hours to Tucson to run 5 passes in a night before driving only 20 minutes and show up at 5pm to make only one pass before 11 pm on any given Friday night. They really do suck balls.

I hope they are reading this, as there are 100's of people who feel exactly as I do.

ANNNND I've veered completely off subject....... COMPLETELY!

Sorry.......:oops:

Last edited:
I had a red '90 model. You're right about having all of the bells and whistles available then. The seat cushions were adjustable for each leg. Radio controls on the steering wheel. HUD. The car had just about everything except........power! I know it was much more powerful than the n/a 3.1 but no where near as much power as my T. I also had a 1G DSM at the time. (Eagle Talon TSI/AWD to be precise) which with less hp, would eat the GPT's lunch anytime, anyway, and twice on Sundays (power to weight, baby). Pontiac came out with the GTP in '91 with the 3.4 DOHC which was the end of the turbo and McLaren partnership. They did eventually get back to boosted behavior with the supercharged 3.8. But still, there was something cool about the GPT and it did make enough of an impression on me that if I found the right deal I may be open to picking one up for the nostalgia. Plus fast forward to today and my daily is an '05 GP GXP with LS4 power. You can definitely see the heritage from the GPT.

Last edited:
[QUCOTE="TurboTGuy, post: 3779053, member: 34996"]I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Wild Horse Pass in Phoenix sucks.[/QUOTE]
common TurboTGuy, how do you really feel?

[QUCOTE="TurboTGuy, post: 3779053, member: 34996"]I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Wild Horse Pass in Phoenix sucks.
common TurboTGuy, how do you really feel?

Really?

I didn't make it clear enough?