car shuts off

whitecobra98

Took the GN out yesterday for the first time in a while. drove 50+ miles, no issues...scanmaster numbers looked gd....1/10th of a mile from the house felt like it was loading up...i was on a fairly steep incline stopped..kept foot on brake and gave it a little gas..it stalled....fired it up again and it wanted to stall again, but i started it in neutral and quick dropped it into gear and gave it gas..45 seconds later it stalled in my driveway...fired it back up and stuffed it in the garage and walked away....where to start?

You know you have to put gas in these things? LOL!

Check fuel pressure first. :biggrin:

Converter lockup solenoid maybe. Had one go out miles from home. As long as I was moving it was fine and in park fine but wanted to stall at stops when in gear.

I had a similar issue and it ended up being loose wiring from the ignition switch to the column. It would ork again if I kicked my under dash panel and pushed the wiring back towards the column again. Check the basics first but then start looking at all the wiring.

How did it run while in neutral? If it is okay while in neutral then I would say the torque converter clutch solenoid is bad.

i started it quick in neutral and yanked it into drive just so it didnt get me stuck in the middle of the road....drove it yesterday...drove fine...idle is kind of choppy at idle both in and out of gear

Did you get over 45 mph when you drove it last? How long did you drive it? The reason I ask is my car and my father in laws Monte (87) which both have the 2004r tranny did the same thing as your car. Both of our cars had a bad tcc. Once the cars got up to temp in the tranny and went over 45 the tcc would lock the converter and wouldn't release it. Both of them had the factory tcc in them. Changed them out and like new again.

There is a good was to test it.

Get up to 50 mph and hold the gas pedal at 50 mph and push the brake pedal just enough to make the brake lights come on but not enough to make the brakes actually slow the car down. If the tranny allows slippage then it is good but if it doesn't change anything then it is bad.

when the rain stops ill take it out again...new tranny has abt 600 miles on it...im assuming they would replace that in a rebuild, but ill ask if they did to save the aggravation:)

try the taking out the IAC valve & clean it, then see if it happens again or changes the way it runs. mine would turn off when I would come to a stop. turned out to be a bad IAC valeve.