Car runs awesome,but lots of smoke

84gnguy

84gnguy really has an 87
basically stock 87 GN,does everything its supposed to,but smokes like a freight train out of the tailpipes.
Smoking got worse after swapping the stock exhaust for the Hooker 2.5" system and test pipe.Turbo seals maybe?

pull the intake pipe off the turbo and check for play on the wheel...side to side and in and out. Also, pull the up pipe and check for oil in the pipe....better yet, pull the intercooler loose from the compressor housing of the turbo. Oil there at the outlet of turbo is a sign. If you still have the breather connection from the valve cover to the inlet, it could pull oil through as well. That bypass is cheap. But if it's smoking heavy, I bet bad turbo seals as a first try...compression test/leak down test as a second. PCV issues as a third?

thanks for your reply...passenger valve cover has a push in breather.
I'll check everything you suggested. Can the turbo seals be changed or should I just get a replacement turbo?

Good time to throw a new TE44 at it and be happy. Had mine for 70K since my stocker started smoking. Still makes me smile.:biggrin:

Well..I picked up a good stock turbo today from a fellow board member and all around good guy..thanks James!
Hope to get it installed ASAP and have some fun without the 007 smoke screen

a little update:
The bottom of the exhaust housing that bolts up to the turbo is wet with oil....
and today I ordered a new oil feed line and a gasket for the oil return tube.
Wish it was a turbo upgrade instead..but I will just be happy that it won't be smoking anymore!

Car is all set! A turbo that doesn't smoke is a beautiful thing and I also picked up an adjustable waste gate rod/HD actuator..all went to together well! The old turbo had so much play in it, it reminded me of a joystick ;)