Car just started sputtering…what to do?

87LimitedT

Just getting started
Well the car has been running fine since I put the new trans in iv been driving t all over and then today it starts to sputter and when given gas it seems to get worse to the point were its barely running then shuts off I have no idea what is wrong everything looks fine I have no mal codes on my scan master. What could it be and what should i be looking for?

Unplug the maf and see if that changes anything.... if not, sounds like an ignition module... probably one or the other....

Same thing happened to my car this week, I keep spare parts of everything, it was the ECM (computer).

Chuck

Well I’m thinking something in the fuel filter is clogging up or my fuel pump is going out, it just did it to me today again as soon as I pulled into the drive way my fuel pressure just dropped every time I gave it some gas to save it from ****ting off.

on scanmaster keep an eye on AF and see if the value rises in relation to throttle input. if not probably MAF

Well I’m thinking something in the fuel filter is clogging up or my fuel pump is going out, it just did it to me today again as soon as I pulled into the drive way my fuel pressure just dropped every time I gave it some gas to save it from ****ting off.

Sounds like you are right.... change the filter and see if that helps.... the fuel pressure should RISE when you give it gas... NOT drop!! if the filter change makes no difference, it's time for a new pump.... either way, keep a CLOSE eye on the fuel pressure, and do NOT run the car hard until you are convinced the fuel system is sound...

and post mods in sig

Ill get it up.

Sounds like you are right.... change the filter and see if that helps.... the fuel pressure should RISE when you give it gas... NOT drop!! if the filter change makes no difference, it's time for a new pump.... either way, keep a CLOSE eye on the fuel pressure, and do NOT run the car hard until you are convinced the fuel system is sound...

well changed it and no difference drove around for a little and then boom it just looses pressure, so im moving on to the fuel pump.

Think "MAF". :frown:

you think so?

I disconnected it while the car was running and it didn’t seem to make any difference but I’m not sure if that’s exactly how you would test it is there a certain way to test it? I would rather it be that than my fuel pump I don’t want to have to deal with pulling the tank out again.

Does it have a hot wire to the fuel pump? If so, it could be the relay going out. Check it by reconnecting th stock plugs under the rear bumper. Been there, but didn't find it till I had it flat bedded home, grrrr:mad:

you think so?

I disconnected it while the car was running and it didn’t seem to make any difference but I’m not sure if that’s exactly how you would test it is there a certain way to test it? I would rather it be that than my fuel pump I don’t want to have to deal with pulling the tank out again.

I don't think so.... I respect the heck out of dave and his knowledge, but I'm thinking he may not have seen that the FP keeps dropping off... OR, he took your post to mean you changed the pump, not just the filter.... since you are running a new style maf/translater combo, that further lessons the chance of the maf being the problem... AND I think you eliminated that as a cause by disconnecting it and finding no change. If the hotwire relay was going bad, the pump would just quit working... it wouldn't work at 'reduced' performance... it will run or it won't in that case... I think the pump is dying... also, when you drop the tank, (not that hard), check the hose/clamps that connects the pump to the hanger... that hose can degrade and cause issues delivering the fuel while the pump is still fine... just another thing to look at...

You're right, I missed that in the sig. Guess I need to pay closer attention. :eek:

I don't think so.... I respect the heck out of dave and his knowledge, but I'm thinking he may not have seen that the FP keeps dropping off... OR, he took your post to mean you changed the pump, not just the filter.... since you are running a new style maf/translater combo, that further lessons the chance of the maf being the problem... AND I think you eliminated that as a cause by disconnecting it and finding no change. If the hotwire relay was going bad, the pump would just quit working... it wouldn't work at 'reduced' performance... it will run or it won't in that case... I think the pump is dying... also, when you drop the tank, (not that hard), check the hose/clamps that connects the pump to the hanger... that hose can degrade and cause issues delivering the fuel while the pump is still fine... just another thing to look at...

Well, when mine gave out the car died twice and ran like crap for about 8 miles before it died a 3rd time and would not start again. in any case I certainly would rule that out before, I dropped the tank, by plugging the stock connector back together.

Ahh, reminds me of the time I was riding in a youngsters GN and he hit a bump and there was a noise. He says," I just had the window resealed because I thought the noise was from there. I guess it's somewhere in the dash." I told him to pull over and pop the hood. I pull his dipstick and wiped some oil on the hood bumper. i told him to start driving. He looked at me like I was crazy. No more noise. Do the simple stuff first.

This the perfect reason why we all need testing equipment & some spare parts to interchange. My bet is fuel pump or coilpac but a Caspers tester could check that one & fuel pressure guage on windshield would make that easy to confirm. Sounds like you have some tools so it wont be that hard to find.
Mine did that when pump died but also when coilpac turned to goo!
Good Luck!!