Car is in the shop. What should I have done?

yarbeau

Darth Vader
Got the 87 GN into the shop. Was having issues exhaust leaks O2 sensor crapped out new maf etc..

Here is how it sits Mod wise. Im not 100% sure all the mods but here is what i know.

Bigger Garrett turbo
Snow performance meth injection
roller rockers
different cam
2.5 exhaust.
turbotweak chip w/injectors

dont know much about it. previous owner never gave me the list of mods he was going to.

Now the guy thats working on it has done nothing but work on typhoons cyclones and GN's

He's telling me the meth kit i have isn't good enough to trust the life of the engine with.

He is recommending an alky control unit.
I have heard nothing but good things about these and am seriously considering it.

What else should be done now that its finally in the shop
He is going to tune and dyno and get the chip all dialed in with the new alky unit.

what would you pros say to do now that he is in the shop?

It's not a track car. mild street performance. something like that of meanchickens! thats my target.

See what he can get it to do with just replacing the snow kit with the kit from razor. You didn't really give too much info so all we can assume is the rest is stock.

Any tuning equipment?? Scanmaster, Powerlogger, ect??? A MUST have to keep you from toasting the engine.

It has a 2.1 scanmaster
as far as i know its mostly stock. I'm having it diagnosed and the mechanic is going to tell me exactly what we are looking at.

I would start with getting everything set up properly and tuned. You may already be at your goal.

I'm wAAAAY up in edmonton alberta.
A proper tune exhaust leaks and O2 sensor fixed. + the razors alky kit could definitely get me to my goal already.

I just want to know while im here. what would you guys have him check out?

I'd want to know what is wrong with the Snow meth kit? Are you sure he just doesn't want you to sell it to him cheap so he can use it on one of his vehicles?

I'd want to know what is wrong with the Snow meth kit? Are you sure he just doesn't want you to sell it to him cheap so he can use it on one of his vehicles?

Sounds like it to me also. Another persons injection kit isn't going to make that much of a difference. Set it up and tune it. Geez, I have a windshield washer tank under the hood spraying -20 washer fluid and I could do 22lbs and gobs of timing on a stock motor. All the alky kits are destined to crap out eventually. Julio actually suggested in a thread that the pumps should be repaired/replaced every 2 years due to the corrosiveness of methanol.

Straight methanol rather than 50/50 mix
Kit designed for the car.
Support from the hundreds of people here and Razor.

Yeah DIY kits can work, and if he thinks its a parts keeper working on it, ask for the old stuff back and sell it on Ebay or something. I doubt it would sell fast here unless it was super cheap.

I don't advice people to buy what I would never buy for my own car.

Yarbeau

I'm in Edmonton as well and have found that there's only one place to service a turbo buick. I sure don't trust local mechanics here. What shop are you at?? I have four turbo buick cars and used to have a fifth. If you need anything pm me. I have pulled motors and transmissions and with help from this forum to diagnose any issues. I have lots of spare parts too if ya need anything.

The only shop I know of in Edmonton is Campbell Automotive.

If the car is at that shop.. Nolan will steer you straight.

Or contact Jarredsoon.. :D

Campbell

I agree with Razor Campbell is the only shop that knows these motors. Hard to believe only one place but it's true.

Yup the GN is at campbell automotive. Nolan is taking care of it. :)

I'm doing whatever he says to do to the car.
But while its there what else should I have done. I dont want to be back in 6 months with another problem. take care of everything now while its winter and I wouldn't be using the car anyways

and thank you jarredsoon.

I'm new to these and will have a ton of questions come spring time.
It'd be awesome if you could steer me the right direction

Check the fuel lines and brake lines for rust. Also fuel pump hanger. Would be a good time to replace them as needed. I'll be doing mine soon. Sitting home today waiting on my FEDEX delivery from NOS4GN :biggrin: