car feels stronger at 1/2 throttle??

phillyvader

Hey guys... ljust lookin for some feedback...well just finished my 4.1 build...broke in the engine...but it feels stronger at 1/2 throttle from a standstill..but on the highway it pulls harder with more throttle...is this just the nature of these cars?? Its a production 4.1, 204/214 cam, ported rebuilt stock heads, 100lb valve springs, ported stock turbo, commander chip, 15 lbs of boost, turbonetics manual boost controller, port matched intake, 50lb injectors, tta fpr, 2600 pats stall... any input is appreciated

Hey guys... ljust lookin for some feedback...well just finished my 4.1 build...broke in the engine...but it feels stronger at 1/2 throttle from a standstill..but on the highway it pulls harder with more throttle...is this just the nature of these cars?? Its a production 4.1, 204/214 cam, ported rebuilt stock heads, 100lb valve springs, ported stock turbo, commander chip, 15 lbs of boost, turbonetics manual boost controller, port matched intake, 50lb injectors, tta fpr, 2600 pats stall... any input is appreciated
I'd suspect fuel pressure first.

Have you done any tuning? Added timing in first and/or pulled fuel in first? If the extra throttle helps on the highway but not from a standstill I would suspect fuel is not the issue.

You should consider bringing the car up to Otto's Performance in CT for some dyno time. Its well worth the time and there wont be any doubt as to what needs attention.

thanks every 1 u guys are great. I havent did any tuning..chip is at default.. i dont even own a scanmaster yet.... I did the motor swap myself..and i left the tps setting where it was so ill def look into that. The chip was putting me at 20lbs boost thru the computer.. and the plugs looked lean..so i bypassed that with the boost controller and turned it down to like 13 15ish..and the plugs look goldish brown now. havent dropped the tank to see what fuel pump is in it...but i do have the hp walbro pump waiting for it. Ill keep the post going as I find out more. I would go to otto's Bison but that is some distance from me being in philadelphia..not out of the question tho...I wanna get my hands a little dirtier first..the car runs very impressive so far...

good call turning down the boost. You can kill a moter faster than you'd believe with detonation. Get a scanmaster ASAP!

Yea it scared the sh%T out of me when i saw the boost guage.. it spools so dam fast by the time i let off it had already kissed 20lbs lol.... I working on it...what do u think is better Blackbandit, scanmaster or the powerlogger?

I vote powerlogger if you have the $ but you'll need a scanmaster to watch the KR on the fly/street anyway. I think the powerlogger makes the scanmaster update faster too with an updated chip or something. I'm still saving my pennies for one...the scanmaster alone has gotten me where I am today though.

You'll get different opinions on this but I would say get a scanmaster first. The thing about a scanmaster is that it's always there, always on, always in your face if you put it on the dash. The powerlogger is amazing and enhances the scanmaster if you own them both but if you just own a powerlogger you have to have a laptop in the car to see what's going on. Add to that that even if you do alway carry a laptop and the battery never dies it's going to be off to the side so you have to look away from the road to see it and it takes longer to find what you're looking for on the screen. Granted you're talking about small amounts of time but sometimes that's all it takes. Plus, in some areas the police may be able to write you a ticket for driving around with an open laptap in view.

So, scanmaster first and then powerlogger.

Edit: We4Mateo and I were typing at the same time. See what I mean about differing opinions! :)

Yea it scared the sh%T out of me when i saw the boost guage.. it spools so dam fast by the time i let off it had already kissed 20lbs lol.... I working on it...what do u think is better Blackbandit, scanmaster or the powerlogger?

Get at least a scanmaster. The car probably feels stronger at half throttle because at half throttle there isn't any knock retard (yet), at full throttle w/ 20psi I'm sure there is alot of knock which is pulling timing out of it so it doesn't feel as strong. Hope that made sense. I don't want to scare you but I hit about 20psi once on 91 octane no alky and let off turned the boost back down to 14psi. My car was fine for a few days and suddenly my head gasket went at 5psi.

Get at least a scanmaster. The car probably feels stronger at half throttle because at half throttle there isn't any knock retard (yet), at full throttle w/ 20psi I'm sure there is alot of knock which is pulling timing out of it so it doesn't feel as strong. Hope that made sense. I don't want to scare you but I hit about 20psi once on 91 octane no alky and let off turned the boost back down to 14psi. My car was fine for a few days and suddenly my head gasket went at 5psi.

That does make sense. But it hits 20lbs at quarter pedal?? I dont drive the car ev day..I did mix a little race gas in there with some octain booster as well because i was afraid of hurting anything before i turned the boost down...I just drove it to deleware and back on 15lbs no probs yet...I try to take it easy on it when i drive too...im getting a scanmaster...

You'll get different opinions on this but I would say get a scanmaster first. The thing about a scanmaster is that it's always there, always on, always in your face if you put it on the dash. The powerlogger is amazing and enhances the scanmaster if you own them both but if you just own a powerlogger you have to have a laptop in the car to see what's going on. Add to that that even if you do alway carry a laptop and the battery never dies it's going to be off to the side so you have to look away from the road to see it and it takes longer to find what you're looking for on the screen. Granted you're talking about small amounts of time but sometimes that's all it takes. Plus, in some areas the police may be able to write you a ticket for driving around with an open laptap in view.

So, scanmaster first and then powerlogger.

Edit: We4Mateo and I were typing at the same time. See what I mean about differing opinions! :)

I hear what your saying...Powerlogger is more suited for days at the track pretty much...scanmaster would be a little easier for everyday. Thanks man.

Well update... I took the car to Atco last night...still dont have a scanmaster..lol...I got a best of 14.3 @ 93 mph 2.1 60 foot, street tires 15lbs stock turbo...then backed up a 14.9 @ 96mph. Checked the tps today and I was getting .05v at idle and 4.2v at wot... so that means the computer didnt see wot..filed the holes a bit and now have it set at 0.4v idle and 4.8v wot...car runs better and no check engine light at wot anymore... Thanks for all the help....wonder what it would run now ???he he