Car died while driving now won't start.

TA49-WE4

Ok so I was out crusing the town and my car just up and died like someone turned the key off.

It has no spark now

It has no plusewidth on the injectors either I belive. ( I can smell no gas while cranking ) Powerlogger is reading 11.32ms and it just stays there while cranking. No rpm on the powerlogger either while cranking.

Has fuel pressure at the rail and I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key forward.

I changed out the computer with a known good one. ( no change )

I changed out the coilpack/module with a known good one ( no change )

Checked all the fuses ( all good there )

Check engine light is coming on with key forward. So is the powerlogger light and the powerlogger is working.

First two tach lights in the dash are coming on with the key foward.

Im thinking crank or cam sensor now :confused:

Any other ideas?

How far do you set the crank sensor away from the pickup on the crank hub I can't remember. I was thinking .030 but I don't really know.

I had a similar problem, turned out to be my crank sensor. Check the wiring harnesses on the sensors too, make sure one didn't slip out somehow.

Ok so I changed the crank sensor. ( No change )

Took the cap off the cam sensor and cranked it over.

Cam sensor is not moving :confused: ( Do these things break inside? )

Check CCCI fuse under the dash.

Otherwise, might also check the ecm plugs... sometimes a little bit of corrosion there...

Ok so I changed the crank sensor. ( No change )

Took the cap off the cam sensor and cranked it over.

Cam sensor is not moving :confused: ( Do these things break inside? )

ok.. crank sensor in the right slot ??? Cam sensors do break. RJC makes a kit to fix em .

Ok bigger problem than I thought .

Cam sensor is not moving and the rocker arms are not either! :(

I have broken the timing chain or sheared the key off the crank gear or something like that.

Anyone know if there is enough clearance for the pistons to not tag the valves when this happens? Trw pistons .496 lift cam compcam :confused:

Ok TA 49 sounds like broken timing chain or if it is a stock timing gear they are made of plastic and most of the teeth are broken therefore the cam sensor and the rockers will not move, the valves should be ok, repair with new timing set drop oil pan and oil pick-up to clean all of that platic out and u shuld be good to go.

Car doesn't have a stock timing chain set on it. Has a comp cams ht roller timing set part number 3129.

Have a +1 for the valves should be ok.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Ok so I pulled the intake and valve covers off and I don't see anything bound up bent or broken.

Going to pull the front cover off in the next few days and see just what is broke. Timing Chain, key in the crank etc.

Just trying to figure out why?? it broke. Timing chains and keys in the crank don't just break for no reason.

FWIW, I saw something on an old KenneBell Tech info piece about spun cam bearings on stock blocks at high power if you don't have a girdle or Stage 2 block.

All the lifters move freely? Otherwise, I can't figure that one out.

About how much is the RJC kit and how does it work? In my case, the top rotor piece was loose causing it it stay in place most of the time but when it jumped out... made the car back fire violently.

Interested in the kit because after the problem was found and fixed, struggling to keep the phillip head screw that holds the top rotor piece tight. Red loctite seems to be working but I am not sure it would hold up on a long trip.

Thanks,
Richard

Ok so I pulled the intake and valve covers off and I don't see anything bound up bent or broken.

Going to pull the front cover off in the next few days and see just what is broke. Timing Chain, key in the crank etc.

Just trying to figure out why?? it broke. Timing chains and keys in the crank don't just break for no reason.

You will find out once you get the front cover off, hard to imagine a aftermarket timing set to fail.

Chuck

TA 49 i have not heard of an aftermarket chain breakng but **** happens, i can think of many other things could be wrong but to be 100% remove the front cover and the ghost will come out of hiding, keep us posted on your findings.

Well I pulled the engine and removed the front cover. Looks as if the timing chain tensioner broke and then found a home were it wasn't welcome.

Take a look at the pictures.

Attachments

• broken parts 002.jpg
    broken parts 002.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 216
  • broken parts 004.jpg
    broken parts 004.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 214
  • broken parts 001.jpg
    broken parts 001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 213
You CAN'T run a tensioner with that chain... if it hadn't broke, the chain would have eventually shredded the plastic on the tensioner and the shreds would have migrated to the oil pan and plugged the oil pump pick up....

Also...for the record, it's my understanding that these engines ARE interference engines... even in bone stock form..... with a bigger cam... well....you better pull the heads and check the valves/pistons/pushrods.... someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think not....sorry... :frown:

Well I didn't put it together so im not happy about the tensioner being installed.

Heads are off and yes it smacked three valves.

Going to take the engine to the machine shop and have the whole thing checked for cracks ( block, crank, main caps, rods, pistons, cam ) Hopefully I get lucky and all will be well.

Im just going to buy some new champion cnc iron heads while its apart, so im not worried about the heads that came off the car.