Car backfired and died...

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Well yesterday was just one of those days... was driving back from the gym, driving normally, when all of the sudden the car backfired and died. It still cranks, but doesn't even try to fire.

So what do yall think? Spark or Fuel??

I've never dealt with coil packs or the ignition module, but I've got the casper's ignition hot wire.

blown fuse?

bad crank sensor?

bad cam sensor (sheared pin at the bottom?)

bad ignition module?

Bob

I was going to suggest cam sensor issue. Try removing the cam sensor cap and rotate the cup inside by hand. If you can rotate it, your cam sensor is bupkis.

I just had the same exact issue happen last week, only mine made a loud metal clang underneath the car. It cranks and sounds fine but won't fire, so I'm interested myself to your answer to your problem.

I was going to suggest cam sensor issue. Try removing the cam sensor cap and rotate the cup inside by hand. If you can rotate it, your cam sensor is bupkis.

One time I pulled the front cover off instead of trying that first- doh! I broke a cam gear roll pin and the same thing happened, was cruising along, and then it just popped and backfired. I made it a few more miles home by going WOT (no backfire at WOT lol) then let off.

Well yesterday was just one of those days... was driving back from the gym, driving normally, when all of the sudden the car backfired and died. It still cranks, but doesn't even try to fire.

So what do yall think? Spark or Fuel??

I've never dealt with coil packs or the ignition module, but I've got the casper's ignition hot wire.

Do the basics, don't just throw parts on it. A simple spark test is to get a spare spark plug unplug one of your plug wires plug wire onto spare make sure it is grounded on the engine (spare plug) and have someone crank it over and see if you have spark. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge under the hood? Is there pressure at the gauge? Do you hear the fuel pump run a short time when you first turn the key on? If there is spark are you mechanically inclined enough to take the up pipe off and spray a small amount of fuel into the throttle body to see if it will fire? If it does your problem is fuel. An engine needs spark at the correct time, fuel, and air to run. Bruce

OK guys sorry to bring this back from the dead, but it's taken me almost 9 months to find the time to figure out what's up with the car... I was so mad at it that I literally left it just as the wrecker dropped it off.

First off, I'm about to go get a new battery (not sure how long it's been dead, but it's VERY dead). My fuel pressure gauge is junk, so if they have one I'll buy a rail mounted gauge while I'm there. I am planning on checking for fuel/spark first and reporting back. Would I still have spark if the cam sensor is junk?

You will still have spark if the cam sensor is dead. It has nothing to do with spark.

You will still have spark if the cam sensor is dead. It has nothing to do with spark.

well...

if the cam sensor is dead, the ignition module will not sync, and you will get neither spark nor fuel. If the cam sensor jumped time, then you will get spark, but not at the right time.

B

TurboBob said:
well...

if the cam sensor is dead, the ignition module will not sync, and you will get neither spark nor fuel. If the cam sensor jumped time, then you will get spark, but not at the right time.

B

Aahhh. Thanks for correcting me Bob.
My apologies on the bad information

Quick and east test here...... Take off the oil filler and spin the engine over. If the rockers don't move, you lost a timing set. If the rockers move pop off the cam sensor cap..... if it's not spinning it's in the cam sensor.