Can't connect computer issue probably.

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
I have a new computer it has Windows 8. Downloaded plc from full throttle. It will not connect to the pl in either gn that I have here. Giving me COM1 open error. I havev tried all usb ports on this puter. Pl is set to auto connect..help:)
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Take it to your local Best Buy, geek squad. That's what I did, they had me running in 20 minutes. For whatever its worth, a pain in the ass. Windows seven there is no issue.

most likely the drivers did not install, they are unsigned, and with Windows 8 (I pronounce it "Windows Hate") the process to allow unsigned drivers is somewhat of a pain.

can you get the device manager open to see if it sees the PL (it will show up as an unknown USB device, at least in Win7 thats what happens.)

Open the device manager select the missing powerlogger driver then re install. Direct it to the folder where the drivers are located.
Try and hit the win button and x to open device manager.

most likely the drivers did not install, they are unsigned, and with Windows 8 (I pronounce it "Windows Hate") the process to allow unsigned drivers is somewhat of a pain.

can you get the device manager open to see if it sees the PL (it will show up as an unknown USB device, at least in Win7 thats what happens.)
It is not there.

Open the device manager select the missing powerlogger driver then re install. Direct it to the folder where the drivers are located.
Try and hit the win button and x to open device manager.
yeah it is not in the device manager.....

No problem, maybe I"ll screw with it more one nite after work or there's next weekend.......

PL connected to laptop and Ignition has to be on for the computer to see the drivers.

no dice guys, key on USB connected to ECM and laptop it does show anything in "device manager" about powerlogger.

no dice guys, key on USB connected to ECM and laptop it does show anything in "device manager" about powerlogger.

It might say, " USB Serial Port"

Right Click that and select Update Drivers.

Direct it to the Power Logger folder to update the driver.

It probably will not say anything about a Power Logger as it is not yet recognized.

What do you see under, "USB Controllers"?

pl.jpg

It might say, " USB Serial Port"

Right Click that and select Update Drivers.

Direct it to the Power Logger folder to update the driver.

It probably will not say anything about a Power Logger as it is not yet recognized.

I will try that next. Cars are away for now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

It might be under "Other Devices" as it is not yet recognized.

I had the COM1 error as well yesterday morning when I went to tune for the winter. The USB cable wasn't connected properly in the Power Logger at the ECM as I had to press it in firmly. Just a thought.

pl1.jpg