PL won't connect when car running

tta1401

PL only connects with key on and won't connect when running. Tried XP and Win8 to no avail. I get a 'cannot open port' error.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Pulled ecm and pl and tested it with another car and works fine. Any electronic gurus out there know anything about the two power sources to the ecm, more precisely the pnk/blk wire from the fuse block? I know a lot of things are on that circuit. Btw, the scanmaster reads the pl just fine while running.

So, I can get it connected now but only if I unplug the cam sensor. Went ahead and pulled out cam sensor and reinstalled with new cap. Still no worky.​

Bizarre :confused:

Whats your running volts?

What ignition module? Ac Delco?

Double check the leads where the powerlogger goes on the ecm. Make sure all the coating is removed. A small wire toothbrush works great.

Rick

14+/-.5 volts. Stays pretty consistent. New delco unit. Tested with other known good ones. Connector is clean. Same laptop, ecm, pl runs fine another car. Bob Bailey is stumped as well. I posted on here just to see if anyone Hasan "aha" moment because I sure as heck haven't!

If I wanted to bypass everything coming from the dash, all I would do is unplug connector c437 and jumper only the pnk/blk wire to power the ecm, correct?

Ok, bypassed the connector by running a hotwire to A6 in the ecm harness. Basically, I isolated the ecm harness. No change. It has to be something in the harness or faulty sensor. All voltages checked out to be normal from the ecm pins. I'm stumped...

I was thinking more along the lines of old plug wires or a bad alternator. Something that might make noise in the electronics when the car is running.

Take the belt off and start it up. See if it connects with no alternator power. Just long enough to see if the pl stays connected then shut it down.

Rick

I did swap out alternators already and checked for ac ripple but who knows. I'll try that and see what happens. New plug wires too. I'm down for anything.

Sent from my HTCONE using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

did you try grounding the USB connector shell on the PL like we talked about? If you want to send it to me I can do it for you.

Bob

did you try grounding the USB connector shell on the PL like we talked about? If you want to send it to me I can do it for you.

Bob

I did try to ground it but it didn't work.

Just like we talked about, no reason to bandaid my problem when many others are running fine with it. Heck, my ecm and pl runs fine in my brother's car. Actually, both pl's I have run fine in his car. But, I do like that you're willing to help out!;)

Let me know when u replace the crank sensor

Let me know when u replace the crank sensor

That's next on the list, lol! It wouldn't make sense if it runs fine w/o the pl but I'm down to try anything. Btw, running on battery only didn't work.

on my windows 8 laptop
1-turn on the laptop
2-open the PL console
3- turn on the car
4- plug the cable to the laptop
5- sometimes i still have to hit the "connect" tab a few times as i get the same damn error code

if i connect the pl to the laptop any other way the pl software either stops responding or crashes my computer.

I noticed on my computer you only hit connect once and wait because its takes a few seconds like 35 to 40 seconds to connect , I noticed if you hit it a couples times thinking it did not connect but it trys to open several windows instead .

I've tried unplugging the aux block and running it like that.

On a another car, I can get it to work and I go through the same procedure as I do in my car. I have two pl's and both work on a test car. Same ecm too.

Well, got the PL to stay connected after installing the tr6 but it backfires through the intake when trying to drive it. I'm pulling the motor and trans this winter and going to go through the harness. Got a baby on the way so it might be a while before I figure it out but I'll be sure to keep you posted!

open up a small safety pin, and retension all the terminals in the stock ignition module plug.

any error codes from the TR6?

B

I already started ripping everything out. I'll try the safety pin trick.