Canada, WTF

Let's not forget some well know story characters that were created by Canadians. There is Superman. Winnie the Pooh, who was created by a local Winnipegger. And let's not forget the main writer for the Simpson's, also a Winnipegger, whom admitted the character Homer Simpson was based off of his father. Homer! Homer!:D

Could you help me understand how your govt works during elections?

Well it is representation by population - the more populated areas have more Members of Parliment - therefore the provinces of Ontario and Quebec have the most power. If the Atlantic and Western provinces voted one way and Ontario and Quebec voted another then Ontario and Quebec have thier way.(they do have the biggest population). The problem is the west and Atlantic get pooched in the big picture. It really seems that our vote does not count at all at times. No government is perfect (you can't make everyone happy all the time) but it just seems the present government is out of touch and control!:mad:

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Aarrrgggh.

Winnie the Pooh was created and written by A.A. Milne. An Englishman.

http://www.pooh-corner.com/biomilne.html

As for Superman...

It was created by Jerry Siegel, an American. Then with help from a Canadian BORN Joe Shuster (who moved to the U.S.in 1923) it was put into Comic Book Form, instead of the story form as originally done.

http://theages.superman.ws/superman.php

The Simpsons....the creator was an Oregon native.

http://www.thesimpsons.com/bios/bios_creators_index.html

Okay, maybe I jump the gun on a few details. First of all Matt Groenings father was born and raised in Winnipeg. In July when Groening was at the film festival he admitted that Homer is based off of his father who was born in Winnipeg. This was in every Canadian paper and in the News. Of course being from Winnipeg it was front page news.

As for Winnie the Pooh, A.A. Milne lived in Winnipeg and that house is still standing today. He wrote the Winnie the Pooh stories when he lived here. Seven years ago when the current owner of the home did some renevations he found some of his original written stories. Yes A.A. Milne was originally from England, but became a Canadian citizen. The name Winnie was originated from Winnipeg. We have a museum here with the orginal stories. Every year there is a big Winnie the Pooh celebration. Three years ago the original Winnie the Pooh Statue was brought back to Winnipeg where it originated.

As for the superman, it is in one of the government archives. That is what they say, I'm just taking their word for it.

Originally posted by forzfed
As for the superman, it is in one of the government archives. That is what they say, I'm just taking their word for it.

That is awfully American of you. ;) :D

*As for Winnie the Pooh, A.A. Milne lived in Winnipeg and that *house is still standing today. He wrote the Winnie the Pooh *stories when he lived here. Seven years ago when the current *owner of the home did some renevations he found some of his *original written stories. Yes A.A. Milne was originally from *England, but became a Canadian citizen. The name Winnie was *originated from Winnipeg. We have a museum here with the *orginal stories. Every year there is a big Winnie the Pooh *celebration. Three years ago the original Winnie the Pooh *Statue was brought back to Winnipeg where it originated.

Sorry, A.A. Milne was NEVER in Canada. I got that straight from James Milne, the relative who runs the Pooh website. In response to my question as to whether Milne ever was in Canada James sent me this reply.......

A. A. Milne never lived in Canada.

There is a Winnipeg connection to his Pooh books, however. The bear in the London Zoo that Christopher Milne would visit as a child and later renamed his teddy bear in honor of was found in Canada, and named Winnie in honor of Winnipeg. He was the mascot of an army troup, and donated to the London Zoo after the first World War.

This is just to keep the record straight.

Geez, you sure go out of your way.:D Your right it was the individual that had the bear named Winnie who's house that is here. But there are stories that he inspired Milnes to write. And the original copies which are signed by Milnes to Christopher Robinson are currently in the Poohseum here. I don't know the whole story, it is on the local net but they want money to down load it. Go to one of the Pooh sites and the answer of how Winnie got his name does not even come close to the truth. Disney pretty well took over the aspect of Winnie, anyways.

I didn't want to get in to a pissing match, I found your response a little rude. Whatever! I do realize I was a little vague. I'm just trying to point out that we as neighbors share a lot more than some people realize.

When it comes to anything that is written by a third party the facts have to be questioned. Media is the same way. I just don't understand how some people can show their anger towards Canadians with out knowing the truth, not to mention that most the people here support our neighbors. I'm just sick of all this Canadian bashing! And to say that Canada has never given anything or helped the U.S. is not fair.

A friend of mine spent 6 months in Afghanistan with the war against terrorism. He told me that the Canadian snipers had the most kills out of any other troops there. I have no idea if this is true or not but I believe him. He said the Canadian troops were well respected. My friend has never said an ill word against the American military, he has nothing but praise for them. Why am I saying this? Because, even though we don't have a big army we still showed our support. There were comments made by Americans that the Canadian Army is useless and that the U.S. doesn't need them! So to me, I see people criticizing us when we tried to help and when we don't. But I do realize that those are people that like to bitch for the sole purpose of bitching.

When 9/11 happened, local fire fighters, police, red cross went to show their support. We helped raise money for the relatives of that tragic event. Yes I realize it was Canadian money and not worth much. American flags were flown to show our support. Cars drove down the streets with American flags flying out their windows to show support. Do not condemn Canadians for the actions of our Government. As mentioned before Quebec gets all the money and the rest of the West pretty well gets none.

I am just fed up with the comments about Canada that some people are making, especially to the Canadian people on this board that support the U.S. Can't we all just get along with out name calling and blaming? That is all I ask! Good Night.

What's your point???

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Went out of my way...hmmm yep I did. And since you and I have now taken up most of the band width for today, I'm going to start on tomorrow's.

The reason I "went out of my way" is that I grew up on Winnie the Pooh. I'm 57 years old and I was born in England. We had very little during my childhood, mainly due to the times when less was normal....plus any money anyone had went towards rebuilding the country. What we did have was books....lots of them. Those days were pre T.V. and pre anything else what we now consider home entertainment. I vividly remember my mother reading the various English books to my brother and I, including Winnie the Pooh. In fact I still have my original one tucked away somewhere.

Due to my love and memory of those books it seemed very disrespectful of you to "claim" Winnie the Pooh.

The Pooh books are English and always will be.

Originally posted by forzfed
A friend of mine spent 6 months in Afghanistan with the war against terrorism. He told me that the Canadian snipers had the most kills out of any other troops there. I have no idea if this is true or not but I believe him. He said the Canadian troops were well respected.

I am not at all fond of the Canadian government, or their policies and views of current world situation. Having said that, forzfed speaks the truth. The Canadian snipers made the day in Afghanistan, one of them beat the record set by Carlos Hatchcock from what I understand.