Can someone help diagnose my car

Braxton Jordt

Set up is, ta 49 turbo, powerstroke front mount, PTC converter, walbro 340 fuel pump, hot wire kit, power plate, 42lb injectors, previous owner said it has a 208 cam?, boost controller at 23 pounds, alky kit.

Fastest I've been able to run my car is a 13.4 with a 1.8 60ft. This car just falls on its face at the top end. It's got a loud tick on driver side engine it sounds like. No cracked header. Could this be a flattened cam? Maybe needs new valve springs? The car runs great no stuttering or hesitation and has good compression. Any ideas would help thanks in advance

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

U should feel a flat cam all around the rpm range & not just on the top end. If ur worried its in the valve train area because of the tick, pull that valve cover & watch your rockers, make sure theyr all moving as its running. Mayb a bit messy but a good starting point. the car should really tote the mail on the top end. Whats ur fuel pressure & boost level setpoints?

This is my first turbo Buick I wouldn't be able to tell a flat cam from a good one. Boost is at. 23 and fuel pressure at 42 with vac line off

u should be in the 12's with that combo. any chance the tick could be a header flange or cross over pipe leak?

Suggestion....
Get a Scanmaster/Powerlogger and a chip setup for your combo. Post the logs and go from there. Without any info from logs you are just guessing

Bryan

U should feel a flat cam all around the rpm range & not just on the top end. If ur worried its in the valve train area because of the tick, pull that valve cover & watch your rockers, make sure theyr all moving as its running. Mayb a bit messy but a good starting point. the car should really tote the mail on the top end. Whats ur fuel pressure & boost level setpoints?

This is true most of the time however my engine had a tick on the passenger side, slight miss at low rpm low load conditions. Like 55 mph with the converter locked. During my rebuild I found a flat lobe.....
No other symptoms.
Flat cam doesn't sound like the ops problem though as mine ran like hell

When you say "falls on it face" does it nose down or just flatten out?

Have you verified fuel pressure is keeping up? What's the scnmaster recall after wot?

Rick

Well I'm putting this diagnose to a hold for another problem that just occurred today. My car stuttered just a little bit and had a tiny back fire just cruising at 60 and then all was good. Parked the car and went to fire it up again and it ran for a sec then died. So I checked fuses and the fuel injection fuse was blown so I replaced it and once I turn my key to on it blew the one I just put in. Checked my hot wire to make sure it wasn't touching any metal and it's fine. So I put another fuse in and by passed the hot wire and it blew that fuse instantly. Towed it home swapped the fuel pump out for a working one and same exact thing. Any ideas?

check for a pinched or shorted wire on the injection harness,

Look near the egr valve on the driver side of the intake. I am thinking the injector harness may have come in contact and shorted causing your blown fuses. If not as stated above follow the harness around to see if it got rubbed or pinched else where.
Good Luck
Rich

Unplug the Injector harness and see if the fuse blows.
ECM as well.
But one at a time.
That will help to narrow things down.

13.4 with that combo is barely a stock time.

The "falls on it's face" doesn't give much to go by.

The ticking?
You sure your header gaskets are ok?
A header leak can sound just like valvetrain noise.
You can do some SeaFoam in the intake and look for smoke or use some single ply toilet paper on a long probe near the header to look for leaks.