Can someone break it down for me?

pro69

I'm a bit confused as to all the turbo Buick names these cars seem to have. I know what is a GNX,GN,WE4 GN, but then I hear names like, turbo T, turbo regal, turbo limited, etc. So exactly what are all the names to these cars? Thanks

T type became Turbo T in 1987. Same thing, just a name change

Turbo Limited is Buick Regal Limited with Turbo package (LC2)

Turbo Regal same as regular Regal with Turbo package (LC2)

Also, bear in mind that all of these monikers delineate trim codes. The body and drivetrain are identical on all 86 and 87 cars whether they be named ttype, gn, limited, etc... (except for the GNX which is an augmented GN)

GN's got black paint (along with WE4)
The "other cars" (ttype, T, limited) had many more color options (inside and out)

Also, bear in mind that all of these monikers delineate trim codes. The body and drivetrain are identical on all 86 and 87 cars whether they be named ttype, gn, limited, etc... (except for the GNX which is an augmented GN)

GN's got black paint (along with WE4)
The "other cars" (ttype, T, limited) had many more color options (inside and out)
Pretty much already knew that, was just confused by all the different names. Thanks

Not to be nit-picky, but,

This has been discussed many times. In 1987 the GN became it's own separate model and was no longer just a package on a Regal and the T-Type badges were changed to the T chiclets. But based on GM ads they were not called a Turbo T. There were only 1547 Turbo-T cars made in 1987. A WE-4 is the only Turbo-T as referred to in GM literature. Just like the GN was originally a Regal with a GN "package" which required the LC-2. The LC-2 was required as part of the WE-4 package. So it is not a Turbo-T with a LC-2 and WE-4 package. What the T in T-Type and the T chiclets stand for is not the LC-2 turbo engine but is instead the Y56 touring suspension package which was required on all LC-2 cars including the GN. The Y56 could be had on all Regals which is why there are the very rare V-8 Regals with the T chiclet. Part of the WE-4 package was the color selection. It denoted a black car with black out trim and black bumpers making it externally identical to a GN sans the spoiler and GN wheels and badges. The WE-4 package was not coded into the vin though making the only way to i.d. them the trunk SPID labels. Limiteds, like the GN, had a specific vin character so they are a separate model like the G.N. was in '87. All other touring package cars with a LC-2 are technically just a Regal with a turbo engine.

Now with that being said, in 1987 there was the GNX, the GN, the Turbo-T (WE-4), the Limited and the Regal. If you want, I guess it would be correct to call the Y56 cars a T since they have the chiclets. All the other names are just nicknames, or more aptly, just adjectives describing the layout or options of the car. So, calling one a turbo Limited, a turbo Regal, or a turbo T is not wrong as long as you are not using it as a proper noun. You can't just call one a Turbo-T. :D

Confused again? Try sorting out some of the 60's muscle cars.;)

Kirban 2 cents worth

As noted above about 60s muscle cars they can be a nitemare unlike the turbo regals that all were built in one plant GTOs for example were built in 12 or 13 plants around the USA so various differences can exist. Like the GN the first 2 year GTOs was simply an option on a LeMans in 1966 it became a separate model.....

One small tecnicality on the above post the last 10,000 GNs built in 1987 where a separate model on the window sticker prior to that it was a WE2 option on a Regal 2 door coupe on the window sticker...

Yes Buick made it confusing to say the least....making it even tougher is the fact you can't pick up the phone and call Flint to get the answers.....when I wrote my 350 page book I had a contact at Buick that helped me a lot....plus the fact I usually had 5 to 8 cars on the driveway to double check my info.

Adding to the various names is you can catch mistakes on some of the cars which adds to the confusion.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis, you mention your book. Is it still available? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these cars. Yes, it can be very confusing.

I written 4 books The 350 page book for $34.95 is the first book and contains a wealth of info....I wrote it in the mists of buying and selling 300 plus of these cars

the guide to buying turbo regals also is a good book if you are seeking one to buy.

The other two books are filled with tips and trivia about them.

all are on our website all are in stock...kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Unlike my posts they contain no spelling errors....as my wife proof read them prior to print...

Thanks Dennis, I will be looking into getting some of them. You don't sell these cars anymore?

You are correct I don;t sel these cars anymore I had a good run of them in the 1990s and early 2000 as I would travel as far as the Mississippi river to haul them back. Mostly bought from my customers...I avoided the ebay auto trader newspaper etc whatever as I was fussy with the cars I was buying....

it would be very difficult to do it today and move the number I did every year. Went thru 2 open trailers and 2 GM pick ups both had the 8.1 gas engines allison transmissions...2500 HD models....

I made my mark....

denniskirban@yahoo.com