Can somebody explain?

Daniel Lane

Seen this on a t-type today at a car show. Just curious why he would need two boost controllers for one turbo?
45d0746913a29dc459823ab36393731f.jpg

86 Grand National, Hotwire kit, glowshift gauges, more asap.

If you are using a old boost commander doubling the solenoids doubles the boost range it will control.

To each man his own on the color. I prefer black:

the stock solenoid if allowed to pulse to 100%(full on) is good for adding few pounds (5-6psi ) over what the wastegate rod is set at , adding a second solenoid allows you to double the increase .
going to 30psi would depend on the wastegate used (standard or HD) and how tight it is set

Makes sense. Was a pretty nice blue t-type this was in.

That red motor is in a blue car??? Wow somebody has taste

That red motor is in a blue car??? Wow somebody has taste
Or lack of...
Boost Commander was a way to control the boost level of a stock style wastegate from inside the car, just turn the knob on the box. Like pacecarta said adding a second solenoid extended the range of adjustment. Your actual boost level is dependent on if the wastegate actuator is a regular or hd and the rod adjustment.

I don't hate on what people wanna put in these cars. You like what you like. Just glad people wanna keep them in good condition and on the road.

Yes, as stated the two solenoids "almost" doubles the control range. I run two solenoids, and it's not just the BstC that they're used for, it's any controller that can control boost electronically. I used then with BstC first, then with the Translator Pro, and now with the SD2.
And the extended range isn't the only advantage, I certainly don't run more than 20# of boost these days, but the dual solenoids also make for MUCH tighter control, less overshoot, etc. etc.

Wasn't that dual solenoid thing a kit from ATR or somebody way back when?

John Spina at Caspers' Electronics offered the dual wastgate solenoids. Not sure if he still does though.

No new solenoids any more. Discontinued.