Can cops legally do this?

You may need the public transportation when your local PD is driving your confiscated car around.

Because the govt is always right, right? If you are really that afraid of hurting someone with your automobile you should look at the data. If you think street racing is bad enough to force you to race only at a track I think you'll find other fatal traffic accidents are reason enough for you to not drive at all.

I compiled some data for you all. Street racing is less likely to kill you or anyone else than virtually any other activity on the road for which statistics are kept.

In the United States, automobile fatalities have increased slightly from 40,716 in 1994 to 42,884 in 2003.
Car accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USDOT estimates 1550 deaths from drowsiness or fatigue. 4% of traffic fatalities.

"Alcohol-related fatalities jumped 2.4 percent to 17,941, according to preliminary government statistics. "
rougly 41% of all deaths on the road are alcohol related.
Drunken Driving Auto Deaths Hit 14 Year High | Autopia from Wired.com

934 deaths in 2003 from red light runners. 2.17% of deaths
Auto Insurance - Red Light Running is a Rampant Problem

804 people were killed in racing-related crashes between 2001 and 2006. That's 804 over a five year period. California had 188 of those deaths, with Texas second at 128.
Thats an average of almost 161 deaths per year.
FOXNews.com - Street Racing Deaths Are on the Rise, But Tradition Is Thriving - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

That works out to roughly 0.375% of all accident deaths in 2003 being from street racing. Thats not even one half of one percent.

You or your family are 5 times more likely to be killed by a red light runner than by street racing.

You or your family are almost 10 times more likely to be killed by someone who is fatigued or asleep at the wheel than by street racing.

You or your family are 111 times more likely to be killed by someone impaired by alcohol than by street racing.

If we are to take this data to its logical conclusion (using your philosophical viewpoints), we can arrive at only a few solutions.

Red light runners pose a far greater hazard than street racers. Anyone convicted of running a red light should have their car confiscated and license revoked

Sleepy drivers are responsible for the deaths of 1500+ a year on our nations roadways. All cars should be fitted with sleepy driver sensing technology that uses eye movements to determine if a driver is too fatigued to drive (this technology exists) authorities should be notified and the car should be confiscated and license revoked.

Drunken drivers are killing 17,000+ a year. This makes a years worth of combat deaths from Vietnam in 1968 seem less deplorable. 17,000 is a slaughter. Breathalyzers are available for fitment in automobiles to prevent ignition should the Breathalyzer detect high blood alcohol levels. Every car should be fitted with one. Everyone convicted of drunk driving should absolutely have their vehicles confiscated and their licenses revoked.

Don't want to kill or get killed on our nations roadways? Don't drive on them period. There are plenty of opportunities other than street racing to be killed or maimed that are generally unregulated, unpunished, and out of control.

Taking an innocent persons life when you crash is to, race at the track where its safe.

X2. I race at the track. However, as some one stated before, it's all too tempting to play around sometimes on the street. Do I think it's fair to have my car taken if I take off fast from a stop light? No but I would expect a heavy fine if caught.

I think it's the organized illegal street racing that they are really going after where you have hundreds of onlookers standing on the edge of a public road. I think the best answer is to either start building more drag strips or hold more "legal" drag racing events. Ther'e an airport near where I live where they did that for a while. .

X2. I race at the track. However, as some one stated before, it's all too tempting to play around sometimes on the street. Do I think it's fair to have my car taken if I take off fast from a stop light? No but I would expect a heavy fine if caught.

I think it's the organized illegal street racing that they are really going after where you have hundreds of onlookers standing on the edge of a public road. I think the best answer is to either start building more drag strips or hold more "legal" drag racing events. Ther'e an airport near where I live where they did that for a while. .

All of the "street racing" deaths I ever have heard about involved people hauling ass on a freeway or busy street. Very seldom do I hear of anyone killed at organized street racing events. Unfortunately the NHTSA does not separate the two when compiling statistics. But If you go through archived news reports you'll clearly see the trend is toward impromptu "races" on busy roads and highways that result in death. I can speak for san diego and miami that this is most definitely the case because I follow the news pretty religiously and have lived for extended amounts of time in both places.

All of the "street racing" deaths I ever have heard about involved people hauling ass on a freeway or busy street. Very seldom do I hear of anyone killed at organized street racing events. Unfortunately the NHTSA does not separate the two when compiling statistics. But If you go through archived news reports you'll clearly see the trend is toward impromptu "races" on busy roads and highways that result in death. I can speak for san diego and miami that this is most definitely the case because I follow the news pretty religiously and have lived for extended amounts of time in both places.

Well, both types are illegal and we have to accept the consequences if caught. A spontaneuous street race is just as dangerous as any other I agree but taking over a public road to hold an illegal event takes it to a whole different level. Youv'e decided to take the law into your own hands and govern a peice of public property. What happens when someone needs to drive down that road? Theyr'e freedom is given up for the selfishness of anothers. Don't hate, just my O2.

Street race all you want but I'd be pissed if I couldn't get to where I need to go because youv'e taken my road hostage.

Well, both types are illegal and we have to accept the consequences if caught. A spontaneuous street race is just as dangerous as any other I agree but taking over a public road to hold an illegal event takes it to a whole different level. Youv'e decided to take the law into your own hands and govern a peice of public property. What happens when someone needs to drive down that road? Theyr'e freedom is given up for the selfishness of anothers. Don't hate, just my O2.

Street race all you want but I'd be pissed if I couldn't get to where I need to go because youv'e taken my road hostage.

I don't street race very much, however, any event that takes up the whole road is not going to be on a road heavily traveled number one, not going to impede your progress very much number two. Whenever an unknown car shows up trying to drive through all the organized street racing events I have been to, people let them through. It's not really in your best interest to hold up Joe Pocketprotector when he has a cell phone.

It just seems silly when you know it's illegal to plan a big high filuten event when you can go to a legal drag strip, race legally and get a timeslip to boot.

Where I live they just give you a ticket for racing, and you drive home. I'm curious how do they take your car. Do you go to court, and then they do it? Or
do the cops just take it? What legal reasoning do they use to take it?

X2. I race at the track. However, as some one stated before, it's all too tempting to play around sometimes on the street.
I think it's the organized illegal street racing that they are really going after where you have hundreds of onlookers standing on the edge of a public road..

yup.. and its the kids doing it..if someone pulls up to me at a light and wants to get frisky..will i say oh gee i better save it for the track or will i make sure i got open lane take my chances with a excessive acceleration ticket and wave buh bye...and hope they dont use this crap as a reason to take my car, when most women on the road put it to the wood from light to light anyway:D

We all could go round and round with this... dunno why

it comes down to dumb kids who watch movies then think hey thats cool..lets go up to burger king..talk smak to johnny, tell everyone where were gonna run and have a party.
Called common sense and most teenagers lack severly in that department...I know I didnt have a lick of it..
My folks would take off and it was party time at Casteels house or in 12th grade driving around on weekends with my buddies,.. drunk and on shrooms trippen..real smart..never thought id see 40

what we consider a little past time fun every now and then has gotten way outta hand

Because the govt is always right, right? If you are really that afraid of hurting someone with your automobile you should look at the data. If you think street racing is bad enough to force you to race only at a track I think you'll find other fatal traffic accidents are reason enough for you to not drive at all.

I compiled some data for you all. Street racing is less likely to kill you or anyone else than virtually any other activity on the road for which statistics are kept.

In the United States, automobile fatalities have increased slightly from 40,716 in 1994 to 42,884 in 2003.

USDOT estimates 1550 deaths from drowsiness or fatigue. 4% of traffic fatalities.

"Alcohol-related fatalities jumped 2.4 percent to 17,941, according to preliminary government statistics. "

804 people were killed in racing-related crashes between 2001 and 2006. That's 804 over a five year period. California had 188 of those deaths, with Texas second at 128.
FOXNews.com - Street Racing Deaths Are on the Rise, But Tradition Is Thriving - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

That works out to roughly 0.375% of all accident deaths in 2003 being from street racing. Thats not even one half of one percent.

You or your family are 5 times more likely to be killed by a red light runner than by street racing.

You or your family are almost 10 times more likely to be killed by someone who is fatigued or asleep at the wheel than by street racing.

You or your family are 111 times more likely to be killed by someone impaired by alcohol than by street racing.

If we are to take this data to its logical conclusion (using your philosophical viewpoints), we can arrive at only a few solutions.

Red light runners pose a far greater hazard than street racers. Anyone convicted of running a red light should have their car confiscated and license revoked

Sleepy drivers are responsible for the deaths of 1500+ a year on our nations roadways. All cars should be fitted with sleepy driver sensing technology that uses eye movements to determine if a driver is too fatigued to drive (this technology exists) authorities should be notified and the car should be confiscated and license revoked.

Drunken drivers are killing 17,000+ a year. This makes a years worth of combat deaths from Vietnam in 1968 seem less deplorable. 17,000 is a slaughter. Breathalyzers are available for fitment in automobiles to prevent ignition should the Breathalyzer detect high blood alcohol levels. Every car should be fitted with one. Everyone convicted of drunk driving should absolutely have their vehicles confiscated and their licenses revoked.

Don't want to kill or get killed on our nations roadways? Don't drive on them period. There are plenty of opportunities other than street racing to be killed or maimed that are generally unregulated, unpunished, and out of control.

Damn Pablo you are the man! I don't think I have the attention span or patience to put a post like that together.

Don't take this next statement the wrong way guys because this is a friendly well thought out debate. So far my problem with most of the what I'll call "pro-confiscators" is, is they seem just say the same thing (and I'm paraphrasing) street racing is illegal don't do it or if you do just deal with the consequences.

There were are tons of things that are technically illegal but will change and have changed because enough people have fought for change. You guys can't honestly sit there and say you feel absolutely comfortable with a law like this because we all know that are exceptions and instances where a law like this can be abused. If it happened to you, you would have different feelings on it for sure.

I don't street race and this year I'm looking to go to the track a few times. I just would hate to think that I could have my vehicle taken if I was passing someone or a police officer interpreted my actions as racing when in fact I might of just been speeding. Our judicial system is not perfect ask someone who was convicted of a crime only later set free. Do we just not care until it affects us personally? What if the government thinks that confiscation worked so well with automobiles that they start extending that practice to other areas of the law?

Your resting alot on that IF, everytime you race in a non-controlled environment, you pose a risk to other people. There are too many uncontrollable varibles out there. A life is worth more than our precious cars. Street Racing is ILLEGAL period. If you participate and get caught, Man up, suck it up, and deal with the consequences of those actions- Bottom Line.

Don't step out your door then. There are a lot of variables in the non-controlled environment we live in called the world. Everytime you get in your car you pose a risk to innocent people. I'm not pro street racing. I yell and shake my fist at kids going to fast down my street all the time. I've only had 2 speeding tickets in the 19+ years I've been driving and the last time I had an accident was in 1991. I'm a pretty good driver and I put a pretty good amount of miles on my car. There is just no justification I can see for confiscation of someones personal property in this scenario.

Well actually you didn't compile the data you found the links. Part of you post " if you think street racing is dangerous enough to make you only race at the track ". So your whole goal sounds like your trying to justify street racing. Many things in life are dangerous. Any percentage in unacceptable, a trying to justify it is absurd. Whatever you need to tell yourself or your friends to justify street racing, but it is still illegal and has consequences. The laws vary from state to state so deal with the consequences. I'll keep enjoying my ride in a legal manner.

It just seems silly when you know it's illegal to plan a big high filuten event when you can go to a legal drag strip, race legally and get a timeslip to boot.

For much of the country this isn't an option. Miami FL just recently got an 1/8th mile dragstrip. For almost 20 years there was no dragstrip within 150 miles of Miami FL. The nearest strip, moroso motorsports park, is in west palm beach. It is also unbelievably overcrowded. Every time I went it was a 2-3 hour drive. After 5 hours or so there you might have gotten 3 runs on a good night.

That whole area without a track is a huge amount of space, a huge amount of people, and a huge amount of hotrodders with essentially no options. I wished they had a strip when I was there because I would have much rather raced at the track. Organized street racing, out in the middle of nowhere, was quite common. The only people at risk at 1 am in the middle of the swamps miles from anywhere were those that were there for the racing.

Cops here where in montreal seem to hate old cars, they always have to follow you for a couple of seconds then for some reason they turn back. Happened to me a couple of times driving my 86 cutlass supreme.

For much of the country this isn't an option. Miami FL just recently got an 1/8th mile dragstrip. For almost 20 years there was no dragstrip within 150 miles of Miami FL. The nearest strip, moroso motorsports park, is in west palm beach. It is also unbelievably overcrowded. Every time I went it was a 2-3 hour drive. After 5 hours or so there you might have gotten 3 runs on a good night.

That whole area without a track is a huge amount of space, a huge amount of people, and a huge amount of hotrodders with essentially no options. I wished they had a strip when I was there because I would have much rather raced at the track. Organized street racing, out in the middle of nowhere, was quite common. The only people at risk at 1 am in the middle of the swamps miles from anywhere were those that were there for the racing.

I guess it's hard for me to imagine. Where I live is so developed I can't think of anywhere where an illegal street racing event wouldn't cause a major inconvenience and draw the immediate attention of the cops.

Like I said before, I think the real answer is to build more drag strips or hold legal events in towns or areas that don't have them. The money they spend on the "taking your ride" campaign could be better spent to provide a safe, legal place to race.

I could see that being a huge issue down there. Been there many times and never knew there wasn't a dragstrip around. They should make a stretch of that Everglades parkway a dragstrip...I usually fly down that thing at over 100mph anyway not racing anyone..you can see for a mile ahead so you know there's no cops out without seeing them way in advance :)

This is also a problem in Honolulu, 4 years back I went to the dragstrip there while on vacation, met up with 10-12 Buicks guys at the track...the track is now closed due to the high price of land, it sold out..now there no place to race on the island..so the streets is the only place to take it.

On another note..I'm certain there's 10x more folks killed talking on their cell phone and at least as many innocent folks killed by drivers on their cell phones not paying attention...why isn't the gov't going after those folks...they've just now started making it illegal to talk and drive in school zones..but what about the rest of the population that has to watch out for these idiots that can't talk and drive at the same time??..take their SUV and their cell phone :biggrin:

Do we get to confiscate a cop car or give the police a ticket when we see police officers running red lights because they feel like it? and I'm not talking about going through with lights and sirens just going through because they don't feel like waiting. how about when they speed? or any other type of "aggressive driving"?

Good point. Unfortunately most cops think because they enforce the law they shouldn't have to abide by it themselves. Which is pretty sad when you live by the "do as I say not as I do" rule.

I recall a few years ago I was driving on I-64 west near the Huntington area and I saw no kidding a 72 Chevelle 2 door sitting under an overpass with a light bar on top. :confused: When I logged onto chevelles.com and asked about it, it turns out this car was siezed in a drug raid. So I guess this isn't anything new.

But if cops think this is an attempt to curb the want to speed or race, they are wrong. All the little speed demon needs is a little time to build another one.

Pretty cut and dry in NC state law...like a previous poster said, dont like it, challenge it! Call your state legislators and try to rationalize not taking some serious and definitive action against illegal racing...If you read the whole post, these people CAN get their cars back, if conditions are met..Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but you KNOW what's going to happen if you get caught..so dont be surprised ??

§ 20‑141.3. Unlawful racing on streets and highways.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on a street or highway willfully in prearranged speed competition with another motor vehicle. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on a street or highway willfully in speed competition with another motor vehicle. Any person willfully violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to authorize or knowingly permit a motor vehicle owned by him or under his control to be operated on a public street, highway, or thoroughfare in prearranged speed competition with another motor vehicle, or to place or receive any bet, wager, or other thing of value from the outcome of any prearranged speed competition on any public street, highway, or thoroughfare. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(d) The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles shall revoke the driver's license or privilege to drive of every person convicted of violating the provisions of subsection (a) or subsection (c) of this section, said revocation to be for three years; provided any person whose license has been revoked under this section may apply for a new license after 18 months from revocation. Upon filing of such application the Division may issue a new license upon satisfactory proof that the former licensee has been of good behavior for the past 18 months and that his conduct and attitude are such as to entitle him to favorable consideration and upon such terms and conditions which the Division may see fit to impose for the balance of the three‑year revocation period, which period shall be computed from the date of the original revocation.

(e) The Commissioner may suspend the driver's license or privilege to drive of every person convicted of violating the provisions of subsection (b) of this section. Such suspension shall be for a period of time within the discretion of the Commissioner, but not to exceed one year.

(f) All suspensions and revocations made pursuant to the provisions of this section shall be in the same form and manner and shall be subject to all procedures as now provided for suspensions and revocations made under the provisions of Article 2 of Chapter 20 of the General Statutes.

(g) When any officer of the law discovers that any person has operated or is operating a motor vehicle willfully in prearranged speed competition with another motor vehicle on a street or highway, he shall seize the motor vehicle and deliver the same to the sheriff of the county in which such offense is committed, or the same shall be placed under said sheriff's constructive possession if delivery of actual possession is impractical, and the vehicle shall be held by the sheriff pending the trial of the person or persons arrested for operating such motor vehicle in violation of subsection (a) of this section. The sheriff shall restore the seized motor vehicle to the owner upon execution by the owner of a good and valid bond, with sufficient sureties, in an amount double the value of the property, which bond shall be approved by said sheriff and shall be conditioned on the return of the motor vehicle to the custody of the sheriff on the day of trial of the person or persons accused. Upon the acquittal of the person charged with operating said motor vehicle willfully in prearranged speed competition with another motor vehicle, the sheriff shall return the motor vehicle to the owner thereof.

Notwithstanding the provisions for sale set out above, on petition by a lienholder, the court, in its discretion and upon such terms and conditions as it may prescribe, may allow reclamation of the vehicle by the lienholder. The lienholder shall file with the court an accounting of the proceeds of any subsequent sale of the vehicle and pay into the court any proceeds received in excess of the amount of the lien.

Upon conviction of the operator of said motor vehicle of a violation of subsection (a) of this section, the court shall order a sale at public auction of said motor vehicle and the officer making the sale, after deducting the expenses of keeping the motor vehicle, the fee for the seizure, and the costs of the sale, shall pay all liens, according to their priorities, which are established, by intervention or otherwise, at said hearing or in other proceeding brought for said purpose, as being bona fide, and shall pay the balance of the proceeds to the proper officer of the county who receives fines and forfeitures to be used for the school fund of the county. All liens against a motor vehicle sold under the provisions of this section shall be transferred from the motor vehicle to the proceeds of its sale. If, at the time of hearing, or other proceeding in which the matter is considered, the owner of the vehicle can establish to the satisfaction of the court that said motor vehicle was used in prearranged speed competition with another motor vehicle on a street or highway without the knowledge or consent of the owner, and that the owner had no reasonable grounds to believe that the motor vehicle would be used for such purpose, the court shall not order a sale of the vehicle but shall restore it to the owner, and the said owner shall, at his request, be entitled to a trial by jury upon such issues.

If the owner of said motor vehicle cannot be found, the taking of the same, with a description thereof, shall be advertised in some newspaper published in the city or county where taken, or, if there be no newspaper published in such city or county, in a newspaper having circulation in the county, once a week for two weeks and by handbills posted in three public places near the place of seizure, and if said owner shall not appear within 10 days after the last publication of the advertisement, the property shall be sold, or otherwise disposed of in the manner set forth in this section.

When any vehicle confiscated under the provisions of this section is found to be specially equipped or modified from its original manufactured condition so as to increase its speed, the court shall, prior to sale, order that the special equipment or modification be removed and destroyed and the vehicle restored to its original manufactured condition. However, if the court should find that such equipment and modifications are so extensive that it would be impractical to restore said vehicle to its original manufactured condition, then the court may order that the vehicle be turned over to such governmental agency or public official within the territorial jurisdiction of the court as the court shall see fit, to be used in the performance of official duties only, and not for resale, transfer, or disposition other than as junk: Provided, that nothing herein contained shall affect the rights of lienholders and other claimants to said vehicles as set out in this section. (1955, c. 1156; 1957, c. 1358; 1961, c. 354; 1963, c. 318; 1967, c. 446; 1969, c. 186, s. 3; 1973, c. 1330, s. 8; 1975, c. 716, s. 5; 1979, c. 667, s. 31; 1993, c. 539, ss. 368‑370; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1995, c. 163, ss. 8, 9.)

I like this part.....

However, if the court should find that such equipment and modifications are so extensive that it would be impractical to restore said vehicle to its original manufactured condition, then the court may order that the vehicle be turned over to such governmental agency or public official within the territorial jurisdiction of the court as the court shall see fit, to be used in the performance of official duties only.

Meaning..you got a baddass ride son and were gonna take it..LOL