Can a 92 231 be converted to a turbo without grenading?

rhib_driver

Just wondering how strong the late model 231's are and if a turbo at mild boost would lift heads or just go high order? I have a 92 Olds 88 LSS (yes the granpa car) and am playing with the idea of seeing how far I can push the issue.

Not exactly.

The '92 vintage engine you have is not a 231 it is actually a 3800 Series I. Everything is different than the '86-87 vintage LC2 (turbo V6) for the GN T-Type application. Not to say you couldn't build something custom but it would be costly and not worth the effort in my opinion. Another thing to consider is the car you're talking about is front wheel drive isn't it? If so it has a 4T60E transaxle in it which isn't known for it's durability.

I hope this helps

Neal

I would suspect you could get pretty brutal to it. I always heard the 3800 engines in SC form were beefier than the LC2. The 4T60EHD with the L67 is pretty strong, but not like a 200R4. Even the HD takes a serious disliking to a hard 2-3 upshift. If you left the torque management alone, it would help. You'll get that power off-power on shifting still though.

The older 3800s are not stronger than the LC2, but the Series II is. The 4T60E is also, not up to alot of power, unless beefed up. If you seriously want more power, consider upgrading to the Supercharged engine, available in PA, Bonnivilles, and the LSS. Or a L67/4T65E-HD swap. :D

The 4T60EHD and 4T65E have exactly the same ratings. The only differences are the larger TC and shift pressure control. There are other difference but they aren't related to durability.

As for the SC engines being stronger, it was just something I read from GM but at the same time, once you get to the absurd level of HP, what does stronger really mean.

I still thing you can beat on an S1 L67 like you do an LC2. At some point, both break.

There is alot of differences between the 4T60E and the 4T65E-HD(SC cars). The 4T65E-HD has a much beefier differential and other parts. The 4T65E(non-HD used on non-SC cars), has the same differential as the 4T60E, but does have the same clutches and related parts as the 4T65E-HD. Ask someone who has worked on both, there is a big difference in terms of strength. INTENSE has a turbo car running about 650hp though a modified 4T65E-HD, and GM has 750+hp Ecotec running a modified 4T65E-HD.

Also I was refering to the Series II block, not the older Supercharged model. There is little to no difference in the Supercharged block compared to the non-SC block. But the Series II has crossbolted mains and other advantages. I would doubt the older 3800 block is any stronger than the RWD block. There is a car running 500hp on an almost stock Series II short block, and one running 650hp on a stock block, crank and rods.

-T