camshaft???

deezdad

Seeking advice on wich camshaft to use on engine rebuild. Te-44 turbo, 36# injectors, 93 octane chip, champion iron heads, basic fuel and exhaust upgrades. Thanks-Dan

Well if you can afford it do a comp roller 206 or something similar. If not, the 206 is also available in non roller, and the 204/214 seems to be popular as well. Just be sure to use GM engine oil supplement in the oil when starting for the first time, and keep it revved up to say 2500 for awhile to ensure plenty of oil will splash up and lubricate the lobes. Is the stocker wiped by the way?

buickpower said:
Well if you can afford it do a comp roller 206 or something similar. If not, the 206 is also available in non roller, and the 204/214 seems to be popular as well. Just be sure to use GM engine oil supplement in the oil when starting for the first time, and keep it revved up to say 2500 for awhile to ensure plenty of oil will splash up and lubricate the lobes. Is the stocker wiped by the way?
The #2 (cylender #2 exhaust) lobe is worn .083". I am looking for close to stock maybe a slight upgrade over stock. My engine builder recommended TRW cs1112r. From doing searches the 204/214 is getting good press. Big difference between roller and non?

well there is a difference because rollers has more agressive ramp rates, so the valves will be open more for a cam of the same duration. how much a difference is hard to quantify, it depends on combo, so i can't give you a number. I mostly mentioned rollers is because of the problems many have had with wiping cams, which is why i also mentioned using EOS and keeping rpm up during breakin. With roller you just buy it once and you're done, but the initial cost is more.

whoops, on a semi stock combo, we probably aren't talking huge numbers. for the average guy probably not enough to justify the extra cost, at least from a performance standpoint, reliability standpoint, well maybe, depends on your point of view and your wallet.

Pete Tomka cold air intake, te-44 turbo, Duttweiler ic neck, rjc power plate, extrude honed intake (nice), champion iron heads, 36# blue tops, upgraded fuel system, 3" down pipe, 2.5" gnx dual exhaust, 93 octane chip, Street driven only. If this was your car and needed a cam you would go with a...?

yes, many good results with the 204/214.... I know someone who ran mid 10s on it stock heads block etc, I ran high 11 on it with 21 PSI, stock heads/block

But if yuo dont want to worrry about wiping another lobe, roller, Im not sure which one would be close to stock though

Anybody know the specs on and where I can get this camshaft: TRW CS1112R. Thanks

I believe that is the 194/204 camshaft. It a step above stock. I know it is available through Advance Auto Parts and probably several others as a TRW or SpeedPro grind. I don't have the exact specs though.

Anything from 206/206 to 212/212 will work fine. If it were mine, I'd do the 206/206. Your injectors are too small for ported heads......You know that right?

Alky would be a nice addition and then you wouldn't need to change injectors.... Make a bunch more power too.... BUNCH! :D

I just want to add that if you are going to replace your cam, dont even waste your time unless you are going roller. Im one of the unfortunate that had a flat-tappet cam wipe on break in. Now I have to spend more on machining and bearings than I would have if I would have just went roller!

James

Have the cam/lifters cryoed if going flat tappet. Pretty cheap insurance. I'm sure it's not absolutely bullet proof but def better than non treated.

Can get away with more spring pressure then too, if you wanted....

a 200/200 club cam from the buick club is supposed to be a good cam. My buddy that lives close to me has a sweet 87 GN with this cam and 36lb injectors ta49 turbo, front mount intercooler 3k stall conv, post headers,TH DP and ran 11.30s on it. He swears by that cam. but like every one else says the 204/214 cam is getting good reviews.

I think that you probably would want to put your money in other places before stepping up to a roller cam, but some of these guys know more than I do.

Matt

Thanks Guys...good stuff. Russ Merrit, the reason I mention the champion heads is because gm moronwrench screwed my stock heads up and i thought these might be good replacements, you don't think they would work well with my combo?

Gm moronwrench.....that's good. :D

Champion heads are awesome and I highly recommend them. They will work fine with everything except the 36# injectors. My rule of thumb is nothin less than 50s with ported heads and and stock/44/49 turbos, UNLESS.....

You run alky. If you put Razors kit on you will not need to go with bigger injectors as the alky will be the added fuel you will require. Added benefits of alky are much higher boost levels on pump gas and cooler intake temps. It will really add tons and tons of power.... Basically lets you run a race tune up on pump fuel.

If alky isn't an option, you'll need 50# injectors to keep up with the air flow of those heads even under moderate boost. Keep us posted...