Cam Sync faults

oldtimer

What are the possible causes of my XFI indicating a cam sync fault error. Just converted to a 16 volt system. Would that have any bearing ?

Car starts fine but soon after start up, sets the SES lite on the dash. It also sets the IAC fault too.

I'm running a MSD distributor and MSD 7AL plus box.

I'm also having a problem with the engine shutting off randomly at idle ( as if I turned off the ignition ). Starts right back up though. :confused:

George

George,

Just unplug the wire connector coming out of the dist. and put your probes between the 2 contacts in the plug.

George,

Ohm out your pick up. It should have 400-1300 ohms if its good.

Lazaris, OHMS out a 583 ohms

Sorry for the delay. My wife is in the hospital so I've been there. Just couldn't get into the shop.

George

Lazaris, OHMS out a 583 ohms

Sorry for the delay. My wife is in the hospital so I've been there. Just couldn't get into the shop.

George

No problem George, hope everything is ok. The pick-up appears good. What are you using for a crank pick up? Stock or MSD?

George,

Did you verify that your cam sync precedes is on the correct cylinder?

I haven't personally. Cal Hartline set my car up initially when he installed the distributor. Cal knows this stuff inside and out so I'm sure that it's just fine.

This seems to be a recent occurance, since I converted to 16 volts. What was happening before the conversion, was; the engine would shut off by itself at idle, randomly ( as if I shut the key off ) It would start right back up though. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it doing so. It would be idling just fine. It was setting the IAC code before the 16 volt conversion but not the cam sync. Now I have both faults displaying :confused: I can't see what the 16 volt conversion has to do with it, but as I said before , I'm not too savy when it comes to this stuff.

I did replace the IAC, but things are still the same ... both faults being set.

I definately don't want to race the car until I get this issue resolved. I'm sure it's something simple ..... maybe my simple mind:wink:

George

Whatever you do, don't unplug the IAC with the key on. You will fry the IAC driver in the XFI box.

I think the Cam Sync error code come from the reference angles are too close. Cal walked me through it.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

"Quote"
Whatever you do, don't unplug the IAC with the key on. You will fry the IAC driver in the XFI box.

Nope, I'm aware of that issue Billy .. Thanks to your HUGE warning a while ago.:)

I'm not sure how to check for the "reference angles" being too close together :confused:

George

George,

did you ever figure out the problem?

Lazaris,

I haven't been able to spend any time on the car lately. My wife is terminally ill so I've spent most of my time at the hospital and in between trips to the hospital, keeping the house running.

What I can't seem to figure in my head is why this cam sync fault is showing up. I haven't changed anything on the car other than converting to 16 volt and the changing from the old FAST Sequential to XFI. Cal Hartline installed the XFI so I can't see any problem with the install. The car was running fine until recently. The XFI was installed at least 10 months before I converted to 16 volt.

I haven't touched the distributor. The rotor phasing is right on :confused:

Thanks for following up with me.

George

Is your 16 volt system changing the cam sensor's reference voltage causing the error perhaps? Or is it just a on/off switch?

Is your 16 volt system changing the cam sensor's reference voltage causing the error perhaps? Or is it just a on/off switch?

Sean,

QUOTE=WSLN 6;2279437]Is your 16 volt system changing the cam sensor's reference voltage causing the error perhaps?

I don't know that. That's why I was trying to get a hold of Cal. None of the other 16 volt guys seem to have had this problem. At least caused by the 16 volt conversion that I'm aware of.

I was wondering if the XFI was the problem. Maybe it's more sensative to the cam and crank signal relationship.

I might end up changing the reluctor position in the distributor to spread the signals, but before I start tearing into that area, I'd like to get some expert advise. I just don't know at this point.

George

I am running into similar problems with my gen 7, but i feel that the msd box is putting out alot of spark energy and causing the 1-2 volt cam sync pick up to pick up EMI noise interference somehow setting the code and making it run horrible. I am presently converting the distributor to Hall effect to see if it helps.

What Norbs said. :smile:

We have seen EFI affect the cam sync. First try re-routing the wires from the dist. and keep them away for spark plug wires as much as possible.

One a couple cars, we have replaced the wires with a shielded pair going back into the computer.

I was going to suggest the same thing, good plan. For a quick test you could just wrap it in tinfoil and ground the tinfoil at one end and see if it helps. Looks funny, but worked wonders on an old Directscan cable I was using.