cam sensor question

JC AUTO

hello, I have a 87 gn that has been running rough. I decided to check the cam sensor after reading some posts on here. is the ring on top of sensor with the cut out section meant to be moved by hand? turned mine about 1/4 inch counter clockwise and returned it to position it was in. from what I read I am thinking this is not meant to move without the whole shaft moving? now car wont start, guess time to get new sensor and cam tool lol. also, the chip my car came with was extender, burned for a 200-208 cam. if I have to replace cam sensor, would this bet set the same way as a stock cam? any guidance appreciated. thanks

That ring shouldn't move. RJCracing makes a repair kit just for that aliment.

The car not starting is a direct result of the sensor being out of time.

The cam sensor should not move. You have found your issue. You can send it to Scot at GNS Performance for a rebuild. Cam sensor is set the same no matter which cam is installed.

Bryan

...... Cam sensor is set the same no matter which cam is installed........................Bryan

Sorry Brian, we have found just the opposite when the cam is upgraded. This was debated extensively in the 90's on the gn/t-type forum!

It's timed with the opening event of the intake lobe. If you put a cam in that cracks the intake valve much earlier than the stock cam, the cylinder will get a gulp of air/fuel without the fuel.

You can send it to Scot at GNS Performance for a rebuild

X2 ... If your cam sensor is the original it probably needs a rebuild . Mine was very sloppy with the spring washer half worn off , it came back from a GNS rebuild like new , clean & tight with no slop , well worth the $80 . Sam

just got back in town. thanks for the help. will get the repair kit and cam tool. car has 70000 miles, so hope I don't need the sensor rebuild. mr micale might be contacting you to get your thoughts how this should be set once I get my stuff to set the timing. I have a chart that shows airflow after heads and manifold were ported. it has spec for what the valve springs were ground to. not sure if this would shed any light on what type of cam it is. possibly ati, the car had some ati chips , 7th injector set up at vacuum block and ati sticker on turbo heat shield. thought about contacting the owner who had most of the work done, but he is deceased. he lived bolwing green ky. think that is where the mods were done.

It would be well worth having the cam sensor rebuilt before reinstalling it. Just peace of mind knowing it's not going to cause you any problems any time soon is worth the price. Have you checked what they cost new? They are not cheap.

It's timed with the opening event of the intake lobe. If you put a cam in that cracks the intake valve much earlier than the stock cam, the cylinder will get a gulp of air/fuel without the fuel.
What does this have to do with initially installing the cam sensor ? Yes you can move the window to take advantage of fueling but it still doesnt change the initial install correct?
Am I missing something? Not being argumentative at all , I am asking a question. Nick didnt come back to answer me.

Bryan

Right. Our fuel injection isn't constant flow, it's pulsed. You want the pule to coincide with with the intake valve opening event.

If you install a big ass cam (even worse if it's ground or installed advanced), the valve will open before the fuel gets on the clock.

That's the science behind the 'mysterious' solution of rotating the cam sensor an extra 1/8" or so to kill a dead spot if you have a big cam.

Last edited:
Right. Out fuel injection isn't constant flow, it's pulsed. You want the pule to coincide with with the intake valve opening event.

If you install a big ass cam (even worse if it's ground or installed advanced), the valve will open before the fuel gets on the clock.

That's the science behind the 'mysterious' solution of rotating the cam sensor an extra 1/8" or so to kill a dead spot if you have a big cam.
Thanks ! Thought I might be missing something the way Nick came back at me...

Bryan

Fwiw the fuel injection timing doesn't mean crap as far as power is concerned. I tried various settings on the Dyno with no change. Proper injection timing may help particularly when the car is cranking and at low speed but doesn't mean a damn when the engine rpm is at flash rpm under full load. There's no time for it to matter. Especially if an entire injector entire pulse width takes 500-600* of crankshaft rotation to complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk