cam position sensor??

samandw

ok so here i am again. pulled the timing chain cover off and replaced the timing chain. i turned it over a couple times by hand to get to TDC. So my question is what do I have to do to get the cam position sensor set? I pulled the whole sensor out of the cover and put it back exactly where it came out.

Since I moved the camshaft itself around wont I have to reset the CPS anyway though? I dont wanna mess anything up so please give me some input!!!

Thanks

I just installed my cam sensor last night. It is real easy as long as you have a VOM. Ignore the "jumper wire" part. All you need is a meter probe with a sharp tip to pierce the wire insulation. The hard part for me was getting the sensor hold down bolt installed. I had to remove the "S" water hose to make clearance.

camsensorvoltmeter.jpg

ok well that looks pretty simple. thank you.

now my next question. call me stupid....so that paper thin gasket between the oil pump and filter housing. i used i very thin layer of gasket maker on either side of that. I just read somewhere that is kinda a no-no? i didn't pack it with Vaseline either. all i was going in there to do was replace that gasket. also it appeared to have some slight gouging on the filter housing where the oil pump gears are? im thinking i need to pull it back apart spend the 10 bucks and get another gasket? should i worry about the scoring of that filter housing?

oh and also the crank shaft gasket the parts store sold me is like kinda backwards looking compared to the factory one? has anybody else run into this problem?

Yeah, the cam sensor is easy to set.

I did my oil pump a couple of days ago. I used the Melling rebuild kit which comes with a steel wear plate to prevent the galling that happens to the aluminum. It also has a couple of springs to adjust the oil pressure along with new gears. I had to stack TWO gaskets to obtain proper gear to plate clearance. You sure need to check this because with one gasket installed my pump was locked up tight! Also, make sure you torque the bolts correctly. You will need a torque wrench capable of "inch pounds."

Which crankshaft seal are you talking about? The one in the front cover? If so, I just replaced the old "rope" seal with the rubber one.

I am no expert considering I have zero miles on my build. :D

where did you get that rebuild kit from??
thanks
and the seal was a regular modern style seal. im refering to the one that some of the cars had as a rope seal. but the one i have that little spring that goes all the way around was on the back side of the one that was in the car the new one has that little spring on the front. not sure if that makes much sense without looking at it though

You have the same front seal that I have. In order to install it, you have to pry the metal retainer ring that holds the rope seal out of the front cover. The ring is staked and you have to use a Dremel tool to open up the stakes. I think I then pulled the ring out with Vise Grips.

Rockauto has the oil pump repair kit and the steel thrust plate.

224518 - Oil pump repairt kit
224518TP - steel thrust plate

You may need an extra oil pump gasket to stack for proper gear clearance.