Cam button?

davidf

I'm about to pull the TC for a double roller install. Is there a fact. cambutton in there? {original timiing gear} Do I need to install one? I have'nt seen any vendors listing them.:confused: Thanks

get one from the GM dealer...

Yes.. should be one there. The upgraded one is rollerized.

Melling Automotive Products sells a roller cam button- p/n: "CB100". I think I bought it at O'Reilly's. The dealer was taking forever getting it in so I went to O'Reilly's and they had it the next day. I finally got the one that I ordered from the dealer and and it was the same as the Melling.

I'm about to pull the TC for a double roller install. Is there a fact. cambutton in there? {original timiing gear} Do I need to install one? I have'nt seen any vendors listing them.:confused: Thanks

Make sure you don't run the stock tensioner, it will end up in your oil pan:eek:

HTH
Prasad

Could you please explain this??

A tensioner is not needed with a double roller timing chain. The chain is tight enough without one. Using a tensioner keeps the tensioner spring taunt all the time. I bought an engine years ago and I found this out after the tensioner broke, got in the timing chain's teeth, jumped time, valves got bent when they hit the piston. It cost to repair everything. :frown:

Could you please explain this??

Well, it’s a little complicated to explain but I will try to explain it. If I confuse you more then I apologize in advance.
From what I have seen, the stock chain is a single, meaning just like a bike chain, the construction of the each link is; you have the middle part that rides on the teeth/sprocket which is held together by there two side plates for each link. Now on a double roller since they are double links in width, each link takes three plates or connectors. (Two on the outer edges and one in the middle) That extra plate or connector in the middle of the link will cut into the plastic/nylon part of the stock tensioner since it was not designed to be used with a double roller links thus forms a groove in the middle of the plastic/nylon tensioner. Eventually weakens it and at the end it crumbles and breaks off. It may end up any where and every where possible.

I have seen tensioners for double roller chains for “Big Dollar” build engines and I am sure it’s big dollars if you must have one. I have been running them without the tensioners for years. Now I have seen plenty of worn down double rollers too with a lot of chain slap too. So if you going to spend the money buy a good brand chain that is not going wear down quickly. No Chinese crap.

I am just a hobbyist so take it with caution.

HTH
Prasad:cool:

where are you guys getting the aftermarket buttons? I want something other than the spring and plastic stock one.

and which are you using?

A.j.

A.j. The Melling (CB100) that I listed above is a rollerized cam buttom not plastic like the orginial, even the button that I got from the dealer was rollerized. What ever parts store that sells Melling automotive products; Napa, O'Reillys, Autozone, etc will be able get you one.

A.j. The Melling (CB100) that I listed above is a rollerized cam buttom not plastic like the orginial, even the button that I got from the dealer was rollerized. What ever parts store that sells Melling automotive products; Napa, O'Reillys, Autozone, etc will be able get you one.

thats what i needed to know! thank you very much!

A.j.