California Smog Rules?

Dan Thompson

I thought that all cars made after 1976 needed to be smogged.

In the LA Times today is an article stating that cars 30 years or older do not need to be smogged.

What is the law currently?

My 87 GN is smogged every year at 'Test Only' stations and I had my best smog check ever.

I have only failed once, gas cap, and after the cap was replaced I passed.

What smog testing is required of the cars that are made at the speed shops like Boyd Cottington, John Foose and the dozens of other shops?

Originally posted by Dan Thompson

In the LA Times today is an article stating that cars 30 years or older do not need to be smogged.

What is the law currently?

My 87 GN is smogged every year at 'Test Only' stations and I had my best smog check ever.

I have only failed once, gas cap, and after the cap was replaced I passed.

What smog testing is required of the cars that are made at the speed shops like Boyd Cottington, John Foose and the dozens of other shops?

Lots of questions Dan, you're going to make my typing fingers work today:D . The current law is there is a 30 year rolling smog check exemptionon Biennial, initial registration and change of ownership. Also exempted are the new model year vehicles for the first 4 years. The law will change at the end of this year to cap the 30 year exemption at 1975 and earlier. Additionally new model year vehicles will be exempt from inspection for the first 6 years.
Cars manufactured by Boyd Cottington and sold retail are small volume manufacturers and subject to current federal test procedure (FTP) standards performed by a gray market /direct import emisssions laboratory (around $1500/test, pass or fail, plus DOT and emissions system modification to pass current emissions standards). But if a consumer purchases a unassembled vehicle from Boyd (or any other manufacturer) that vehicle is classed as a special construction vehicle (SPCN). A SPCN is subject to consumer choice on arriving at the Referee. Choose year model or engine and the referee will set the vehicle up base on consuer choice. But this law is limited to 100 vehicles per year. After the 100, then the SPCN is subjected to engine year. That is it in a nut shell. Kind of a condensed version. My typing fingers are spent now:D , so if you want more info, email a telephone number and I'll call you from the office here.

Originally posted by Dan Thompson
Sadly, Gov. Schwarzenegger just signed the new law and made it official. Only pre-1975 cars will be exempt.

And I was so looking forward to 2017, when I would be totally free of all emission requirements! ;)