cali emissions question

Drac0nic

It ain't easy livin free
Hey, I had a friend of mine say that diesel car bodies were in demand in california because they were exempt from smog checks, so you could swap whatever motor you want in. Anyone know if there's any truth to it?

Drac0nic,

Not too sure about the "actual" demand for diesel vehicles. The statment you made about the exemption is correct the way I understand it. I have never really researched it too much though. Run the question by Joe Chung over in the emissions forum and he should be able to tell you anything you want/need to know.

Neal

Drac0nic,

Thats what I have heard/beleived to be true...

My grandma has an 80's mercedes turbo diesal and we might jsut have to make a cool project out of it...

I belive the CA rule is still that a car with an engine swap must meet either the body smog rules or the engine smog rules, whichever is more stringent.

However, I'm not familiar with the form you're supposed to send to the DMV to tell them that your diesel car now has a Buick turbo engine ;)

ledzeppac:

sent you PM

Now the answer to your question. Yea diesel powered vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection in CA. Eventually there will be a diesel emissions test. For now diesel vehicles are verified and issued an exempt certificate from the Referee. Upon registration renewal, a "Smog Check Required" designation will adorn the top of the renewal notice. After you make an appointment at the Referee, the Referee will visually inspect your engine to verify a diesel engine is in the vehicle. If he/she finds spark plugs on your so called diesel engine, you'll get a laundry list (of emissions controlled required for a gas engine) of requirements to make the vehicle comply to the current engine change guidelines. Here is the kicker, when I was a Referee, I would drool profusely when I got to inspect a car like that:D. Additionally, DMV preiodically reconfirms the vehicle is still diesel powered (at time of registration renewal) through the Referee.

The PM just explained why I moved your thread, so you wouldn't panic when it didn't appear where you originally posted it. And I addressed it to the thread starter and said I sent it to you. My bad.