C6 Z06 brakes and ATS spindles installed

Paul69camaro

I've been wanting to do this since I first put the wheels on in Feb 2011 and finally got it done. The old brakes just didn't do the Rushforth wheels justice. Any ways, this was a real simple installation bolt on swap thanks to Mark at SC&C and Tobin at KORE3. I used Mark's upper control arms to work with the ATS spindles that I simply bolted the brakes too. This setup supposedly pushes the track out about .25" so if anyone wants to do it, keep this in mind. Now I need to find a good solution for the rears! Anyone have any LS1 rears laying around? Also, KNSbrakes is almost giving these DBA rotors away, check them out, I got these for the same price as the OE stock junk rotors
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 675
  • IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 826
Looks Nice! On the rear brakes I would go with a BAER brake set up for several reasons. 1) For the matching look of the brakes. 2) The ease of the install and you get the E-brake set up with the kit's....

You should also look into a Proportioning valve so you can adjust the brake bias between the two...

If your interested in these we give the TB.com members FREE shipping on all brake kit orders!

Scot W.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Scott,
I've been talking with Rick at Baer for a while, he's a great dude, very helpful. I agree with the matching look part and the ease of install, the problem is that I still need to buy a transmission, mine won't go out of first and reverse barely even works! I haven't even been able to bed in the brakes since I cant go over 40. Basically the car's yearly budget will be exceeded when I get the transmission so the rear brakes are either gonna have to wait or be on a real small budget.

Paul

Scott,

One more thing, If i'm going to spend a decent amount on the rear brakes, I'd like to get something with a 13" rotor. Do you know of anything that might work?

Hows the handling with the new spindles?

~JM~

I'm not sure yet, my transmission is toast and wont shift out of first. Plus I still need to upgrade sway bars, springs, shocks, lower control arms....list goes on forever!

looks good almost pulled the trigger on the Zo6's myself! What size wheels and tire combo you running and how lowered is your car?

6togo and larry,
For the wheel info, check out my original post and scroll down to post 14.
http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/rushforth-18s-on-the-gn.341412/
Jason Rushforth, who owns Rushforth wheels is a great guy, all I ask is that if you decide to copy my setup(which I have no problem with whatsoever) please tell Jason that you saw them on turbobuick.com and that I referred you.

As far as how much my car is lowered, it's hard to say because I'm running the original front springs still (I'm sure they are sagging and need to be replace) but I will tell you that the ATS spindles drop the car 7/8", the rear is on belltech springs that I've had for about 9 years now. I've replaced the body bushings so that's not a factor.

Vampire,
My setup cost was a bit expensive as I did several upgrades at once. I would guess that if you were only interested in the brake setup, I believe the B body spindle swap and a kit from www.Kore3.com would be the ticket. Don't quote me on that but talk to Tobin, he's the owner,has awesome customer service and will steer you in the right direction. I would guess you could probably do it under 1500 bucks. I would buy the rotors from www.KNSbrakes.com since they have the front pair for 200 bucks! That is just a tad more than the non directional oem crappy drilled rotors.

Just a word of caution, these calipers are huge! They require a lot of caliper to wheel spoke clearance. If your considering it, download the templates from kore3 to make sure they will clear your wheels.

I hope this helps everybody out, if anyone has any more questions, feel free to email me at Paul69camaro@yahoo.com.

I've been wanting to do this since I first put the wheels on in Feb 2011 and finally got it done. The old brakes just didn't do the Rushforth wheels justice. Any ways, this was a real simple installation bolt on swap thanks to Mark at SC&C and Tobin at KORE3. I used Mark's upper control arms to work with the ATS spindles that I simply bolted the brakes too. This setup supposedly pushes the track out about .25" so if anyone wants to do it, keep this in mind. Now I need to find a good solution for the rears! Anyone have any LS1 rears laying around? Also, KNSbrakes is almost giving these DBA rotors away, check them out, I got these for the same price as the OE stock junk rotors View attachment 158831View attachment 158832

Great job, it looks great and the stance with those wheels are perfect.

Datar

Scott,

One more thing, If i'm going to spend a decent amount on the rear brakes, I'd like to get something with a 13" rotor. Do you know of anything that might work?
If you have been talking to Rick he will steer you in the right direction for sure. Assuming the front corvette rotors are 13" and the calipers are 6-piston? The BAER SS4 rear brakes would be my recommendation but it has a 12" rotor with a 4-piston caliper and still incorporates the e-brake set up.... You really won't see or notice any braking difference between the rear 13" & 12" rotor, it basically boils down to looks at that point. I have the BAER 13" rotors in front and the BAER 12" in the rear and once the wheel is in front of them it's hardly noticeable between the two.

Looks good.. i feel your pain on new offsetting changing a-arms an disks up front,the back's a whole lot easier!! make sure your front clip's aligned right too ,or one tire will stick out more then the other ,i went with BMR arms front back upper an lowers with aerospace prostreet disks all the way around. the a-arms dropped front an 1" an the disk brakes set the wheel out more 1".

If you have been talking to Rick he will steer you in the right direction for sure. Assuming the front corvette rotors are 13" and the calipers are 6-piston? The BAER SS4 rear brakes would be my recommendation but it has a 12" rotor with a 4-piston caliper and still incorporates the e-brake set up.... You really won't see or notice any braking difference between the rear 13" & 12" rotor, it basically boils down to looks at that point. I have the BAER 13" rotors in front and the BAER 12" in the rear and once the wheel is in front of them it's hardly noticeable between the two.

Scott,
Thanks for the reply, I am considering the SS4's but the reason I want a 13" rear rotor is because my fronts are 14". I figured a 13" would match it a little better but I may settle for whatever is most cost effective.

On the Baer website it shows a SS4+ with a 13" rotor and parking brake. Check with Scot W. to see if it's available for the GN.

On the Baer website it shows a SS4+ with a 13" rotor and parking brake. Check with Scot W. to see if it's available for the GN.
According to my catalog the availability for the GN in the SS4 packages are as follows: Front's (ss4+) rotor size are a 11" 2-piece rotor , Rear's (ss4) are a 12" One piece rotor with e-brake.... Not sure if the ss4 rear system can be made with a 13" rotor or not, Rick would know more on that..