C5 brake upgrade using Blazer spindles

Does anyone know where to get the ZQ8 spindles from??? How much are they from the dealer??? :confused:

I have two more sets. $300 L/R complete w/ dual piston calipers, rotors, abutment brakets, hub bearings, spindles, and bolts. plus shipping. The parts are used , I reccomend you get the rotors and Pads NEW, you will also save on the shipping cost.

steveX said:
I have two more sets. $300 L/R complete w/ dual piston calipers, rotors, abutment brakets, hub bearings, spindles, and bolts. plus shipping. The parts are used , I reccomend you get the rotors and Pads NEW, you will also save on the shipping cost.

If you still have a set of these in about a month or so Ill be contacting you, money is just a little tight right now, I will pick it up too.

It`s All Good. I have two sets remaining, but i am expecting more spindle in the future.

I've had few people ask to see if I had Blazer spindles to go along with the C5 adapter brackets and I noticed that it was not clear on this post. I have the C5 adapter brackets and bolts available for $100.00 Used spindles cleaned, dust shields removed, ready to install for $250.00 I also have new GM Durastop rotors (plain or drilled/slotted) along with C5 calipers, abutments, and pads available.

Jason

link on Montecarlossforum

Do your spindles include the hub assemblies? Why do you remove the dust shields? Any pics?
Thanks,
Joe

hboost said:
Do your spindles include the hub assemblies? Why do you remove the dust shields? Any pics?
Thanks,
Joe

Joe, The spindle assy does include the hub assy. These are used spindles that I clean and inspect. I check the bearing assy to see if it's worn out and I remove the ABS wiring if it's not needed. I also remove the dust shields. The dust shields will fit with the 13" C5 rotor or 13.4" C6 Z51 rotor sometime the shield neede to be pushed back to ensure it is parallel to the rotor to prevent rubbing. The reason I remove them is they are usually rusted or bent to bad to use and I think the air flow thru the rotor is restricted by the dustshield. I do have a few dustshields if someone really want them installed. I'm still running the dustshields on the S-10 Xtreme. I can also have the longer ARP 12mm studs for $26.00 or installed into the hubs for $35.00

Thanks Jason

C5 to Blazer adapter

brackets

brackets and bolt kit

spindle backside

spindle & bracket

spindle & bracket

rotor & abutment installed

rotor & abutment installed

caliper installed

13" brakes

I put the Baer 13" rotors on my Typhoon and had to go w 17" wheels. I don't think there's any way U can get 13's in even 16" wheels.

For giggles...

I've been reading all these threads on the ZQ8 brake swap, and my head started hurting because nobody had a concise list of exactly what you'd need.
Soooo, I dug into AllData. Here is the major component list, with actual prices current as of this post, to do the C5 conversion using all new GM parts:

Code:
Front Brakes						
00000000	C5 Caliper Brackets  	1	$100.00	$100.00	Lt4xtreme	
12530682	C5 Caliper right       	1	$99.12	$99.12	gmpartsdirect	
12530683	C5 Caliper left        	1	$99.12	$99.12	gmpartsdirect	
10445856	C5 Rotor Right  	1	$52.78	$52.78	gmpartsdirect	
10445857	C5 Rotor left   	1	$52.78	$52.78	gmpartsdirect	
18060559	ZQ8 Spindle Left	1	$175.96	$175.96	gmpartsdirect	
18060560	ZQ8 Spindle right	1	$175.96	$175.96	gmpartsdirect	
SP450300	ZQ8 Hub/Bearing 	2	$194.99	$389.98	AutoZone	
00000000	Hawk HPS Pads set	1	$97.00	$97.00	TireRack	
00000000	Total			$1,242.70

Special note on the hub/bearing assembly. I'm 95% confidant the Timken part available at AZ and probably anywhere else is the actual, OEM, GM part (outsourcing, yay!), and it's a ton cheaper at AZ. Web site even says it's a regularly stocked item.

This doesn't include miscellaneous hardware like hoses and bolts.
Using NEW parts, this upgrade is on par with a new Baer kit, but if you can get the ZQ8 hub/bearing and spindle assembly used and grab non-GM rotors and calipers, you'll save a ton.

I did these parts lookups against a 2000 Corvette and a 2000 S10 2WD.

The calipers listed are the REAL Corvette calipers, with "Corvette" cast into them. I'm sure PBR makes an ulabeled equivalent that may be cheaper.

You can get Aerospace 11 3/4" 4 piston two piece aluminum solid rotors with lines for $800 and install them in around 2-4 hours. These will work on 16" rims and the 10 3/4" rotors will work with stock and aftermarket 15" rims.

DR.BOOSTER said:
You can get Aerospace 11 3/4" 4 piston two piece aluminum solid rotors with lines for $800 and install them in around 2-4 hours. These will work on 16" rims and the 10 3/4" rotors will work with stock and aftermarket 15" rims.

A four piston rotor? What?

I will make it easier.

You can get an Aerospace 11 3/4" two piece solid aluminum rotor with 4 piston calipers and SS lines for $800 and install them in around 2-4 hours. These will work on 16" rims and the 10 3/4" rotors will work with stock and aftermarket 15" rims.

Here is a little more info about what I have available. I hope this clears up some of the questions.

This set-up is for mounting the 13"x1.25" C5 Corvette rotors and dual piston calipers onto the Blazer spindle that is found on any 98-02 2wd Blazer. The spindles are often referred to as ZQ8 spindles or Blazer spindles. These ZQ8 spindles will fit all 2wd S-Series pick-ups and Blazers from 82-02. These ZQ8 spindles are also a direct fit for all 78-88 G-Bodies (Monte Carlo, El Camino, Malibu, Regal, Grand National, GNX, 442, Cutlass, Le Mans) and it does require the use of 17" wheels.
Price list:

Bracket Kit $110.00 includes:
2 billet aluminum brackets
4 14mm socket head bolts for caliper abutment
4 14mm bolts for mounting bracket to spindle
Loctite 262 included
Free shipping if ordering bracket kit only.

Rotor kit (plain rotors) $70.00
1 left and 1 right plain GM Durastop C5 13" rotor

Rotor kit (drilled/slotted rotors) $150.00
1 left and 1 right drilled/slotted GM Durastop C5 13" rotor

Caliper kit (your choice of red or black new GM C5 Corvette calipers) $534.75
Includes both calipers
GM Durastop ceramic pad kit with anti-rattle clips
2 GM caliper abutments
4 GM caliper guide pins and boots
2 GM banjo bolts and crush washers
* other calipers and pads available

Spindle kit with ABS sensors $275.00 (for use on 2wd S-Series pick-up or Blazer with ABS)
Includes 2 used spindle assemblies with sealed hubs cleaned, inspected, and dust shields removed.
Includes the ABS sensors

Spindle kit without ABS $250.00 (for use on all G-Bodies or 2wd S-series without ABS)
Includes 2 used spindle assemblies with sealed hubs cleaned, inspected, dust shields removed.

Bell Tech dropped spindles and new GM hub assemblies are available

Your stock brake hoses will work but, I also recommend the Russell stainless steel braided brake line kit. $72.00 kit includes 3 hoses (2 for the front calipers and 1 for the rear axle to body)

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Jason Hurst
RPM Automotive
6411 Pike St
Mineral Wells WV 26150
304-482-1300
jasonehurst@aol.com

DR.BOOSTER said:
I will make it easier.

You can get an Aerospace 11 3/4" two piece solid aluminum rotor with 4 piston calipers and SS lines for $800 and install them in around 2-4 hours. These will work on 16" rims and the 10 3/4" rotors will work with stock and aftermarket 15" rims.

That helps, but you didn't tell us where to get these Aerospace 11.75" rotors and four piston calipers.

DR.BOOSTER said:
I will make it easier.

And on further review, these are drag brakes. Solid aluminium rotors. This is bad, very very bad. They'd be fine for stopping a car after a drag run, but repeated hard stops would result in severe warping of the rotor, if not total brake failure. I wouldn't even use these things on the street. Not safe. Very pretty, though.

How much heavier is this system over the stock stuff? Does anyone have this on their car yet, if so. Any pics? My brakes up front are all stock. So this is something I need to address on my car.