Burnt Fan Wires

diomedes

I did my normal routine of starting up the car to have it run for a moment. I have done this a couple of times using my remote start to keep it loose. Well tonight I popped the hood on my buick and the fan wires were burnt. So I turn off the car... which by the way was when the fan kicked on. (the car had not reached temp for it to turn on). When I touched the wires they were HOT! So i pull off the jump wire, the one to circumvent the resistor, and it kept running. I go to disconnect the harnes and its basically melted together. Any ideas? Can I disconnect the big fan relay (the one that tells the fan to run after I shut off)?

Has this happened to anyone? :confused:

Check the fan. The bearings on the factory fans are now starting to fail pretty regularly (over 20 years old, about time).

If the fan slows down due to bad bearings, it will pull too much current, causing an overload on the fan circuits. Melted wiring is the give-away.

Wires, connectors, and relays should be replaced as well.

Many guys disconnect the relay to keep fan on after you shut off the car. Sometimes when worn they will kick on in the night for no reason other than to drain the battery.