bulletproof my 200r4 or go TH400?

Grandnat

I am looking for opinions from those that have done either.

I have a pretty stout car that will run 10s once the tranny is figure out. (already does ~100mph in the 1/8th)

My question is this, OVERALL which is the better option,

I am taking into consideration

1)Price

2)durability

3)street manners.

this is a car that is not a daily driver but will make 100mile round trips occasionaly. (to the track and street prowling)

I know the 200s CAN be made to work, but will I have to rebuild it often? I KNOW the TH400s are proven beyond 1000rwhp.

basically what I am looking for are people who say "I went with the___but in hindsight I wish I would have done ____"

any input would be appreciated.

Unplug the connector on the side of your 200-4R and drive around for awhile with the shifter in 3rd instead of OD and you'll see exactly how the 400 will feel on the highway :).

Yes, the plug was just to stop the tcc from locking; I didn't know you had a n/l converter. Okay, just drive in 3rd to get the 400 experience :). I notice no actual trans experts have responded so I'll give you my layman's opinion based on watching a few friends go down this path. I think that a built 200-4R only has so many wot shifts in it before either clutches start slipping or a hard part fails, behind a 500+ rwhp motor. Everyone can make up their own number but I've pulled 200-500 out of my, um, ouija board :). A trailer queen race car making 5 passes a weekend can take a couple of years or more to get there, but a hard-driven street car will get there in a couple of months. Just think of all the times you mash it on freeway onramps and enjoy that wot 2-3 shift, and pass someone on the highway where you get a wot downshift and upshift, etc. Whether a 200-4R will last for you on the street comes down to your driving habits and how fast you use up those shifts.

The stock gearing in a 400 is different than the 200-4R, so you either have to change the ring and pinion to get the same overall ratio in 1st gear to get the same 60's, which means turning higher rpms in 3rd gear, or keep the rear ratio the same and give up some launch. Another option I've read about is to replace the internal gears in the 400 with the same ratios as the 200-4R, which I've seen listed at about $500 for just the parts, but I don't know anyone using them. All of the rotating parts in a 400 are much heavier than in the 200-4R, which effectively makes the 400 a much heavier flywheel than the 200-4R, which means that for a given hp motor the 400 will spin up slower so the car will slow down a little. If you scounge/build your own 400, buy a good converter, get the driveshaft modified or a new one, do all the labor yourself, and get the hrpartsnstuff adaptor mount, you can do the conversion for under $1500 but probably not under $1000 unless Santa gives you the 400. A friend was quoted $2000 at a local shop for a moderately built 400, complete and installed, but I don't know what converter that included. Either way it's less than one good 200-4R rebuild and should last several years. You just have to decide you can live without that OD (or spend $$$ for a gear vendors od, and maybe more $$$ for the Precision lockup converter option, and ... :)).

Carl you have been more than helpful as usual. Thanks

Has anyone got any #s from going from a 200r4 to a TH400

any actual 60 ft data that they would like to share?
and MPH #s?

I am leaning towards the 400 and Have roughly a $2000 budget...but $1500 sounds real good!

anyone run a rev manual valve body on the street? I would think that that would not be much of a street car, but maybe not.

what about shifter? what do you guys that went to TH400 use?
I currently have a column shift and would like to keep it that way so I do not have to hack up my interior.

anyone ever went th400 and kept a coulmn shifter?

The TH400 swap on my TSM car was the best thing ive done. I run a stock gear th400 with stock rears(manual valve,TB). 60 fts in the high 1.3 to low 1.4s. 6-6150 rpm at the stripe.Certainly not a highway car but very easy to drive around town. I use the cheetah turbo action shifter.

ok that last reply pop a question in my head im looking for something streetable for the streets u knwo work n back and some fun in between as well as a highway car wit good gears that will get me high speeds right now im a botu to buy a new tranny and im not sure if to rebuild this 2004r or get mysef a 700r4? any tips or advice on those wants in performance and economical which of the 2 would work better ? and will the 7oor4 replace the 2004r can i just switch?

hey turbobooster can you make a new thread instead of hijaking mine???

do a search on the 200r4 vs 7004r....the 7004r is not any stronger

please keep this thread on topic. I would really like a few more replys on this.

I am making a purchase monday and I am leaning toward the th400.

please keep the responses comming.

When you switch to the 400 you will need:
  • Modified Driveshaft (yoke and length)
  • Modified tranny mount
  • Different torque converter
  • Flexplate?
You will loose:
  • ET from the extra weight (and heat generated to run the 400)
  • MPH due to the above and the extra HP it takes to spin the TH-400 (again more heat)
  • Proper gear ratios and overdrive (effecting 1/4 ET, 1/4 MPH and highway drivability) (Note the TH200-4R is a TH-400 with overdrive, lighter internals and different gear ratios - to be simple about it.)
You will gain:
  • Durability
  • cheaper repair parts, and
  • it can be built for less to begin with...
Note: you can get the same benefits by switching to a Small Block Chevy if that is your prime directive. :D

Or you can spend the money on a properly built 200 (which is all you need to go low ten's - Just ask Jason Cramer!) and not change any of the items in the first list above. My 200-4R is working just fine (with transbrake) in the mid 10's and the 200-4R in Lonnie's car worked AOK at 10.3.

Originally posted by Scott231
When you switch to the 400 you will need:
  • Modified Driveshaft (yoke and length)
  • Modified tranny mount
  • Different torque converter
  • Flexplate?
    you only need a new converter and trans mount for swap and a new yoke for the 400,been their done that
    Ed

what I want to know is who has swapped to a TH400 AND how much MPH did you lose?

and how much ET did you gain or lose?

see my sig for my times with a t400 ,times with a stout 200r4 soon to come....................
Ed
say good by to running your GN on the hiway with a t-400

I just went with a 400 and with everything being the same on the car (fuel and boost) the car picked up 4 tenths and mph stayed the same. I went from 11.25 @122.5 to 10.82 @122.6. My 60 ft went from 1.65-1.70 to 1.43-1.51. As you can see my gains were in the 60 ft.

You will have to get your driveshaft cut app. 1/2 in. for enough slip on the yolk. also you have to bend the trans lines just a hair for them to work. for the trans bracket just grind it to make it work. stock shifter also worked.
mine is a reverse pattern, manual shift.
I highly recommend the 400 and would not go back to a 200.

Originally posted by turbojoes
I just went with a 400 and with everything being the same on the car (fuel and boost) the car picked up 4 tenths and mph stayed the same. I went from 11.25 @122.5 to 10.82 @122.6. My 60 ft went from 1.65-1.70 to 1.43-1.51. As you can see my gains were in the 60 ft.

You will have to get your driveshaft cut app. 1/2 in. for enough slip on the yolk. also you have to bend the trans lines just a hair for them to work. for the trans bracket just grind it to make it work. stock shifter also worked.
mine is a reverse pattern, manual shift.
I highly recommend the 400 and would not go back to a 200.

this was the kind of detailed reply I was looking for.... Thank you

I also have a trans break but did not use it yet due to I still have stock axles and don't want to snap one. Can't wait to launch with it. see ya and good luck
joe

I had my trans built @ kym & larry's performance cost around 1000 with him getting the core. converter is a precision industries and was 700-800 (can't remember).

I paid more for my converter than I did for the trans. I have about 1800-1900 total in it.

UPDATE!!!

I wanted to update this thread for the benefit of those who may do a search in the future.

I went with a TH400 and it was one of the BEST decisions I have ever made regarding my car.

It cost me $550 for the tranny $200 for the drive shaft, $300 for the converter and $80 or so for the tranny mount.

so a little over $1100 and was worth every penny.

the car picked up in every aspect, MPH/60ft/ET
(Admittedly this may be due to the 200r4 slipping on the 2-3 shift)

It is also not as bad on the highway as I thought it would be. I have stock 3.42 gears and 28" tall drag radials with a 3500 stall and it turns 2700 rpm cruising at an around ~60mph.

Do not believe the hype that it will hurt your cars performance... and I do not have a transbrake...

this is in a mid 10 sec car BTW.