BUILD QUESTION

ADJMART

Getting ready to order a turbo tweak wideband 6.1 chip for the buick. I run race fuel for extra protection and have alky hooked up for cooling properties.
My question is when ordering the new chip, since im using race fuel anyways, would I be better off eliminating the alky all together or keeping it for a cooler charge.
Also, does anyone know if spraying the alky lowers the octane rating of the race gas since its a lower octane value?
Thanks

you sir are a smart man. its not very often we see someone post they are using good octane and alky for cooling. like posted above hom much boost are you running and what octane race fuel? from reading your signature i would keep the alky. nothing wrong with what your doing. as far as the alky reducing the octane, im not sure if that has ever been lab tested but for what your doing i wouldnt worry about it

Race fuel has high tolerance for cylinder psi.

Alky lowers intake air temps, supplements fuel and increases octane all which assist in tolerance to higher cylinder psi.

IMO ten second or better car launching really hard like sub 1.5 the race gas by it self is safer.

The hard launch causes the alky charge the tend towards the rear.....not good.

But your goals...et...mph... arent listed...

Ran 11.50 end of last year@ 24lbs boost 23/21 timming
Since than I upgraded to champion ported irons and upped it to
26lbs with 110 octane and no knock.getting ready to make another
Go at it in the cooler weather, just wanted to get the right chip.
Thought about deleting the alky but looking at the graph on the
Power logger after a run it seemed to benifical the way it dropped
The temp. Just looking for other opinions

That's a safe tune for 93 and alky in my book. 110 and alky...you can start with a boost gauge upgrade cause I bet yours stops at 30psi! Getting my drift. Oh and the map sensor pegs at like 31 psi, some a bit less. That will stop the alky progression so factor that in. Timing, after you reach the max boost you are going to run start bumping up the timing looking for improvement in mph to the 1/8th and 1/4 mile. I bet you can max out those 42's quick if you have the guts.

That's a safe tune for 93 and alky in my book. 110 and alky...you can start with a boost gauge upgrade cause I bet yours stops at 30psi! Getting my drift. Oh and the map sensor pegs at like 31 psi, some a bit less. That will stop the alky progression so factor that in. Timing, after you reach the max boost you are going to run start bumping up the timing looking for improvement in mph to the 1/8th and 1/4 mile. I bet you can max out those 42's quick if you have the guts.

You sir are braver then I. You think 26psi 91/and alky is safe. Without some good fuel i wouldn't run it that high. thats just me.

As for the other post about the slosh of alky towards the back of the car at hard launch. I agree that can be a issue if you don't keep the tank full or near full when doing hard launches

A TE44 will not push 30+psi ported heads. Since you are running 110 and alky, you could add more timing. 110 alone (which is actually 106) will start to show its limitations around 25psi. If you are willing to run C16 alone, then dump the alky. With ported heads, I bet the TE44 is out of wind at 26psi. Trap speeds around 121 is pushing it, and I think you will need some timing to do it. I have a PT54 I can sell you that will go further.

So basicly the te44 is limited to about 26psi with ported heads and if I would like to trap faster than a 120 mph quarter I need to upgrade my turbo?
Also if I were to upgrade my te44 to say a pt54 or 6262 at the same 26psi will there be an improved performance or is 26lbs = same performane regardless of turbo size because its still 26psi?
Thanks

I am just guessing 25 to 26psi, it might be lower. When you hit 120mph, that is about the limit of the TE44. At 26psi, with ported heads a 6262 or even a PT54 should go 122 to 124mph. The 54 will be done around 124 to 126mph, the 6262 will go high 120's before running out breath.

What are your real goals?

With a stock longblock.... I would think very high 10's or an 11.0 would be where I would target if it were me. 110 and alky and a PT54 ought to get you there. 11.0 with the 44 on a stock longblock is a stretch IMHO... not impossible.... but a stretch. The 6262 is also a good turbo. It has a higher potential than the 54 and is newer tech. It will need some stall to make use of it though. Street manners, the 44 will shine better.

Overall... on second thought......I think I would target 11.20's and stay with the 44. The extra two tenths isn't worth the $$ you have to shell out... and loose a little more of the quick spoolup.