Buick versus Ford Event in Noble. Date of October 11, 2014, confirmed yesterday by the track.

My poor car has the dreaded "Flat Hood" and I would really like the Turbo bump hood, is there any chance someone might be willing to sell me a decent one at a decent price and bring it to the F vs B race for me to pick up while im there, color doesnt matter.

Was wondering if there is any cruise nights or car shows the weekend of the shootout? If anyone knows of any I would appreciate the times and location.
Can't believe there is less than 2 months! Let's try and get as many Buicks to show up as we can. I think team Ford is tired of winning and I don't want this
event to turn into GM vs. Ford.

Something to do after the race Saturdaynnight would be pretty cool, I know last year I just went back to the motel and kicked back till time to leave the next morning......what else goes on around there, street races maybe or a local hangout?

There is a place called RS fuels at 3330 W. Memorial Rd in OKC. They sell race fuel, 93, E85, E100, etc. The management is very car friendly and people show up to fill up and congregate most Friday and Saturday nights. There is also an establishment just South of I-40 and Macarthur that allows cars to congregate as long as it is kept clean. From there, people head to Mexico for some action because street racing is illegal in Oklahoma :)

Ill have to check out the places you mentioned....Mexico, seriously, ive never heard of that, aint Mexico kinda far from OK. ?

Phil I might have a problem......Split my transmission in two testing new motor out. Still a good chance but you never know.

Phil I might have a problem......Split my transmission in two testing new motor out. Still a good chance but you never know.

Jim: We share the same problem so I may not be running at Noble either.

IMO, car wasn't designed to handle power level we are throwing at it and when it breaks, we fix that problem and run hard or harder until the next part/parts break. Been through several convertors but think the PTC NL has that under control, broke a modified stock 3rd member and replaced it with a Ford 9" with upgraded rear suspension and that seems to be great modification even though I had a very hard time putting Ford product on my Buick. Think the tranny grenaded this last go round in less than 200 miles on the 3rd time the car went WOT. :(

I understand your former tranny builder was very good but has moved on to another profession. My last couple of builds didn't last very long so I sent mine off to Vince Janis a couple of weeks ago to see if he can build it to withstand the power that is being pushed at my car. Waiting to see what he has to say after tearing it down.

Sure hope you can get yours up and running reliably in time for both Noble and Bowling Green events.

Phil Engle

There is a place called RS fuels at 3330 W. Memorial Rd in OKC. They sell race fuel, 93, E85, E100, etc. The management is very car friendly and people show up to fill up and congregate most Friday and Saturday nights. There is also an establishment just South of I-40 and Macarthur that allows cars to congregate as long as it is kept clean. From there, people head to Mexico for some action because street racing is illegal in Oklahoma :)
Yeah I know its illegal, I watch street outlaws. lol. Last year was the first time I went looking for the street racers and found a pack domestic and imports and they didn't have anything on my sons mustang or his friends.
That was the most fun I had being a spectator. This year I was wanting to find some faster cars to have some fun with and didn't know where to go. Will have to try these fishing spots. Thanks for the info.

trans.jpg
Jim: We share the same problem so I may not be running at Noble either.

IMO, car wasn't designed to handle power level we are throwing at it and when it breaks, we fix that problem and run hard or harder until the next part/parts break. Been through several convertors but think the PTC NL has that under control, broke a modified stock 3rd member and replaced it with a Ford 9" with upgraded rear suspension and that seems to be great modification even though I had a very hard time putting Ford product on my Buick. Think the tranny grenaded this last go round in less than 200 miles on the 3rd time the car went WOT. :(

I understand your former tranny builder was very good but has moved on to another profession. My last couple of builds didn't last very long so I sent mine off to Vince Janis a couple of weeks ago to see if he can build it to withstand the power that is being pushed at my car. Waiting to see what he has to say after tearing it down.

Sure hope you can get yours up and running reliably in time for both Noble and Bowling Green events.

Phil Engle
here is a photo of the carnage. I will probably be there!

Holy crap, busted the bell housing right off that sucker!!

Are you thinking it might only need a new case or are there internal damages as well that might have taken place?

Are there no options for you guys to make reliable power? I would think a T400 would last forever, and I see some really fast GM cars using one of the newer over drive GM transmissions with great success. Just curious. I got tired of 6-10 psi, so I just cranked up the boost 5 more lbs, and now my car is going under the knife (tranny) next week, so I feel your pain. Mine is only going in for new clutches and torque converter, not the carnage you experienced.

Are there no options for you guys to make reliable power? I would think a T400 would last forever, and I see some really fast GM cars using one of the newer over drive GM transmissions with great success. Just curious. I got tired of 6-10 psi, so I just cranked up the boost 5 more lbs, and now my car is going under the knife (tranny) next week, so I feel your pain. Mine is only going in for new clutches and torque converter, not the carnage you experienced.
Some guys opt for the 400 or 4l80 if they want overdrive, then theres the die hards that beleive strongly in the 200.

It wont be long now and I hope everyone gets their cars together for this...good luck with the trannys guys.

I have had this trans for at least five years with no problems, John Plog has the same one by the same builder. I am leaning towards another scenario now. It was either a geometry problem or somthing in my rear housing that broke.

It wont be long now and I hope everyone gets their cars together for this...good luck with the trannys guys.
Should be getting my converter back from ptc. next week. Brand new converter had a small crack or pin hole that was leaking fluid. Hopefully when I get it back there will
be no leaks. I can't have anything else go wrong, I have been thinking about this event since last one. Thinking about holding off on my e85 conversion till after the event just so
I don't have any unseen problems. Might just run straight race gas so I don't knock. I blew head gaskets already using alky.

Mid 9's seem to be the limit IF you get your tranny rebuilt by a builder that is knowledgeable and experienced with the 2004R. I had mine for more than 10 years before it was freshened up and it ran flawlessly during that period; particularly, when I went to the PTC 9.5 NL convertor. It has not been reliable since then and I recently sent it to Vince Janis after it failed 3 times in the last 2 years. Expect the tranny to be shipped back next week and should be ready for the Shootout in October.

I posted this on the Fastest Pump Gas/Alky thread on July 22.

"Car has been a real PITA for the last couple of years as it seems to have acquired a taste for 2004R parts.

I looked at the list of the fastest 93/alky cars on this thread and this jumped out at me:

There are 8 cars in the category of 10+ second cars that listed their transmission type including me since that's what I have. 7 of those 8 are 2004R's.

There are 6 cars in the under 10 second category that listed their transmission type. 4 of those were T400's and were the fastest 4 cars.

My question is when is it time to go to a T400, 4L80E or ???

I don't really want to give up the attributes of the 2004 R but I also don't want to have to get a tranny freshened every year."

Phil Engle

Last edited:
4L80E!!!!!!!! Update: There are 2 more coyote Mustangs going full stupid 1000+ HP build. But, not sure if they will be buttoned up by race day. I don't really know if I want them to finish or not! Good for the fans, bad for team Buick. Has there been any luck getting some of the NASTY Buicks to show up? My car will be going in for trans freshening and Circle D 3B converter next Tuesday!!! I'm fired up! Can't wait to lay down copious quantities of ice cold twin turbo boost on Will Barnes!!!