Buick Guru's, HELP!!

Ghettopoptart

87 T type Problem.

I have a Turbo tweak chip in the car. Started getting a code 42 for some odd reason recently. Car running like crap. Swapped out the ESC sensor with a known good one from a running car, the problem followed as soon as I adjusted the chip for my tune (removing a little timing and adding a good bit of fuel).

I already read the problem solving page on the code 42, so no need to link it to me.

Here is where I'm getting stumped. I switched the chip over to my street chip (from the race gas chip, both Turbo tweak chips). To see if I had corrupt software in the race gas chip, And the code 42 ONLY pops up when I fool with the perimeters of EITHER chips (Overall fuel, and 1-4 timing) ONLY.

I have a new Maf, new AC DELCO ignition module and coil pack.

Has anyone ever heard of code 42 popping up only when you change perimeters of the chip? This makes no sense to me.

Help?

UPDATE*****

Today I put a known good ECU in it. stuck both chips in, tried adjusting perimeters of fuel/timing. And code 42 popped up again.

WHAT ON EARTH?!

coincidence maybe , you could ask eric for a replacement chip and see if thats the answer but odds are its the module that not working properly

42 has nothing to with the esc (module on the passenger fender) ... est yes.. esc no

http://gnttype.org/maint/malf.html#42

when the code is stored the ecm is in bypass mode set off by the white wire going open due to a condition inside the the ign module (solid state ) or a pin issue at the ecm ...
should not be prom chip related but could be calpak related(the small chip) .. make sure its pins /sockets arent corroded

could also be triggered by noisy ignition from bad plug wires , check you plug wire routing and make sure they arent laying against any wiring or try a good set of plug wires

or its time for an ignition module ...the AZone brands of ignition modules are notorious for throwing the 42 code . and getting a new one from GM doesnt assure a good quality module as they just source and repack ..GM's is the same module youll get at carquest. i only run the old originals or the tr6 from bailey

After you change a parameter, try leaving the ignition off for at least 5 seconds before starting the engine, or changing another parameter. See if that has any effect.