Buddy Wants To Run GN in '05 Legacy GT

So, you purposely come to a TurboBuick forum and with your first post claim that our cars look like ass? Isn't that about like me coming over to YOUR house to tell you that your wife is ugly?

Going fast with class, that's what it's all about here. Seing that you have none, you are free to leave. Dismissed......

Never Ending

Seems like the GN vs Subaru will never end. People will always have one car they like better and will defend to the end. Yeah I get tired of hearing how crappy a Monte looks or how slow they are but I dont get mad, I just laugh it off.

Brian :D

85monte said:
Seems like the GN vs Subaru will never end. People will always have one car they like better and will defend to the end. Yeah I get tired of hearing how crappy a Monte looks or how slow they are but I dont get mad, I just laugh it off.

I have at TTA and a WRX. Would like to add a GN to the list. Definately different cars. Subaru makes a nice reliable car, but trying to make it into a drag car like a lot of people do is definatley not worth the money. The WRX serves its purpose for me. A quick (not fast car) that can get me to work everyday, while keeping the big boys for the weekends. Just wish i hadn't spent so much money on the WRX. Marked down as lessons learned because it was fun buying the parts and made me learn a lot about turbo cars.

People are spending upto 10grand just to do a 6-speed swap so that it can handle the consistent 300whp. Gearing on the WRX sucks and the AWD makes racing from a roll humbling. Got to believe the AWD has a big effect on it, as i raced a EVO from a roll with 4 people in my stock TTA and ripped it a new one. The only AWD cars for highway acceleration i'd consider are a porsche or lamborghini.

The comment about the GN looks like Ass, I think the STI does and i own a bugeye WRX. The STI has a lot more bulgier look to it, and the scoop looks like it'll kill its fair share of birds.

Just took a ride in my friends new 05' legacy Gt and let me tell you, not that quick at all. Def. not even close to the acceleration of our GNs. You will whoop his @ss.

I have both a modded GN and a 1 month old Legacy GT. I don't see my LGT as being competition for my 12 second GN. It doesnt make sense to me to compare the two. maybe in stock form on both ends the LGT would be comparible to the GN.. but even then I dont see a point to racing the LGT. It's a nice, fun, and quick daily driver though and a great car to take on trips. Not a drag car.

I would go as far to say that for ever class of fast LGT or STi there is a faster GN.

And in 5 or 6 years my GN will likely be worth more than my LGT.

It is fun to see people bickering over the subie vs. GN still. I thought that this conversation was killed a few years ago.
Anyhoo, my STi is now modified to a pretty good level. It still needs a tune horribly b/c of a massive boost leak that was un-noticed when the car was tuned last june. But, un-tuned I managed a 13.1@1067, stock I ran a 13.2@101, both with constant 1.7-1.8 60ft times. This new turbo also pulls MUCH harder in 4th-6th gear. I have taken two WS6's, a C5, and C6 (both non Z) from an 80mph roll bnd beat them pretty badly. In the 1/8 mile (too bad there wasn't a 1/4 around) I managed to stay .1 seconds behind a Z06, .2 sconds behind a Viper Venom 650, and kept killing a C6. This is on a stock location turbo, a very well liked se up is the roatated mount Garrett GT35R. Which will produce around 450awhp on street gas and over 500awhp on race fuel. With the massive boost leak (felt like an a/c duct between my BOV flanges :eek: ) I managed 341whp on a very hot and humid day. Hopefully re-tuned I should make dam near 400awhp on street fuel.
I can see quite a few GN's go down to STi's. But with the ammount of modified GN's out there, I would place my bet on the GN in most circumstances.
Just FYI:
a stock STi - 12.9-13.4 for the 1/4
turbo-back exhaut - 12.8-13.0
add ecu & tune - 12.6-12.9
GT35R kit - mid 11's
stock WRX - 14.5-14.7
stock Forester XT - 14.2-14.5
stock GT - 13.9-14.3 - best lookin outta the bunch

Nick

I respect them, Subaru seems to have their act together in making a decent car. I sure wouldn't mind owning one, but I'm more then content with my TTA. As far as a daily driver, I'm checking around into finding a 1990 Grand Prix STE - I'm sort of burned out on two-door cars, and an STE can be had for a song, cheaper then a GN.

Yeah, it's FWD, but I've always been fond of the older W-bodies.

Seems like the GN vs Subaru will never end.
\

Where does that put me? I just bought a used '05 Legacy GT 5 speed for a daily driver :D . I paid $16,300 for it, the car has 30,000 miles. Considering it was over $26,000 brand new, I think I love depreciation.

The car is great, in my opinion. C'mon..... 250 horsepower, 5 speed, all wheel drive, nice interior, smooth, quiet, heated wipers and seats, etc. etc.... all for 16 grand? Say what you will, I like it.

I'll have to line up the Buick against it and let my wife drive the Legacy. If I beat her up at the track a few times maybe it'll remind me why I should even keep the Buick around :tongue:

Got both myself too, I love my daily driver subaru. need to mod it.
amazingly people dont appear to be throwing on alchy and cranking up the boost... they like to mix alchy with water and hardly touch the boost.
maybe they know something i dont, or maybe they could learn from the GN crowd...

a good board: legacygt.com

Got both myself too, I love my daily driver subaru. need to mod it.
amazingly people dont appear to be throwing on alchy and cranking up the boost... they like to mix alchy with water and hardly touch the boost.
maybe they know something i dont, or maybe they could learn from the GN crowd...

a good board: legacygt.com

I'm on there under the same name. Just joined two months ago or so, when I started researching them and looking for one.

I'm not going to mod mine at all, other than putting my Sirius tuner in it and maybe a small sub. If I start thinking about blowing all kinds of money on another car my wife will kill me :D

\

Where does that put me? I just bought a used '05 Legacy GT 5 speed for a daily driver :D . I paid $16,300 for it, the car has 30,000 miles. Considering it was over $26,000 brand new, I think I love depreciation.

The car is great, in my opinion. C'mon..... 250 horsepower, 5 speed, all wheel drive, nice interior, smooth, quiet, heated wipers and seats, etc. etc.... all for 16 grand? Say what you will, I like it.

I'll have to line up the Buick against it and let my wife drive the Legacy. If I beat her up at the track a few times maybe it'll remind me why I should even keep the Buick around :tongue:

Damn. You went in the Way Back Machine to dig this one up.

I'm on there under the same name. Just joined two months ago or so, when I started researching them and looking for one.

I'm not going to mod mine at all, other than putting my Sirius tuner in it and maybe a small sub. If I start thinking about blowing all kinds of money on another car my wife will kill me :D

Welby,

I put the Subaru factory sub in my Outback - sounds pretty good. You might want to check it out.

Rob

Blah...

STi's, Evo's,WRX's, awd DSM's, etc all fall into the cute awd dd car category for me. I just can't get into them. They're the type of car you would buy to drive through the winter because your real cars are put away, but they provide the fun factor for you during the off-season. I just can't get excitded over a 4 door econmy car, turbo or no turbo. Sorry..

Ok....My GN is 'only' a very high 11 second car. I've raced more STI's and EVO's probably more then any other car the last couple years. I've yet to be seriously challenged by any of them. Don't no if the ('get a good driver in the EVO or Sti) excuses are gonna fly. Yea, there quick but i'll put my money on any 11sec GN or T over either of them. Again, NOT trying to flame, and i'm sure there ARE some quick one's out there, but I haven't come across one yet. Just my 02...................KB

wow

Just finished reading all this... Im my opinion, I really dont understand how this can get so blown up. All the turbo 4 cars are pretty cool to me because they are pretty peppy' "STI, SRT4, EVO, WRX" Sure there will be freaks of nature with these cars---" able to trap over 115 or whatever".
I guess personally I will never consider these types of cars serious performers till I actually see them at the track putting down times that make you go ... WOW or If I Actually come across one that puts my GN in its place. "MY car is only a mid 12 110mph + or - .... I have never had a problem outgunning any of these cars...
Now Camaros or Fords spraying---ouch.... thats another story.... :mad:
So I guess all you STI guys out there better make sure your buddies cars are always in kill mode.... Cause when I read all this STI talk from the STI guys I just roll my eyes and move to the next Thread.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :) :) :D :D :tongue:

ps--- If you STI guys want to really have something to talk smack about .... sell the STI and get a TT supra yep now those cars I have serious respect for.

Ok Im done...... I'll just go back to reading and keep my mouth shut...

Here's a vid all of you would enjoy, lol. It's an STi (don't know the year, don't care) That has "500 HP" and runs.... wait for it... 12.1. However, the owner was expecting a 10.5, apparently.. :rolleyes:

YouTube - WRX STI 500+ HP

Now that there is funny. 12.1?!!!

Here's what this boils down to.

I have a 2006 Honda self propelled - side discharge lawnmower. It will do circles around a TR, STI, EVO, SRT whatever.......when it comes to mowing a lawn.

However, It will not fare well in a 1/4 mile drag race. It wasn't designed for that.

It won't turn very well cuz the wheels are hard abs plastic. It wasn't designed for that either.

It will cut grass.

Here's a vid all of you would enjoy, lol. It's an STi (don't know the year, don't care) That has "500 HP" and runs.... wait for it... 12.1. However, the owner was expecting a 10.5, apparently.. :rolleyes:

YouTube - WRX STI 500+ HP

12.1 is a far cry from 10s....I guess the hat sideways and "racing" gloves didn't help him go any quicker.:biggrin:

I think at one point or another we've all been down that road before, expecting the magic ET only to be disappointed.;)

well said....

Now that there is funny. 12.1?!!!

Here's what this boils down to.

I have a 2006 Honda self propelled - side discharge lawnmower. It will do circles around a TR, STI, EVO, SRT whatever.......when it comes to mowing a lawn.

However, It will not fare well in a 1/4 mile drag race. It wasn't designed for that.

It won't turn very well cuz the wheels are hard abs plastic. It wasn't designed for that either.

It will cut grass.

very true..... very funny.....:D :D :D :D :D