Buddy Wants To Run GN in '05 Legacy GT

i started a new job about a week ago unloading cars off of train cars. i've had my chance at driving pretty much anything new from japan you would want to know about. an sti is easly the fastest, but i would have to say another one to be worried about is a forester xt. i honestly think they will out run a legacy gt, and easly take a wrx. nearly every car they have out now is avaliable with the 2.5 turbo motor, and they all run amazingly well. AND most of them can be had for less than $30k thats $10k less than an sti and i would say all of them given a good enough driver could give an sti a decent run for its money. drop the lest over $10k into any other turbo 2.5 and watch out.

Doesn't a stock STI trap at just over 100 MPH? I would expect a little more speed out of 300 HP. I'm not sure what the modded ones are running, but It seems that once they are out of the hole the 4WD saps more power than you'd expect.

These guys that have 500 whp are putting out 650 plus at the motor right? I just don't see that on anything but high octane race gas. How are the axels and tranny's not going on these rides. I always hear these stories about the guy with the 900 whp car that is the fear of the streets, so what... look at the money invested to do that. Anyone can do it, and I'm not close minded either, just having a realistic view on things. You can make absolutely anything haul ass with the right amount of money. I just don't see why the discussions get so heated whenever an import vs a gn is brought up. I could care less if you have a 1000 hp sti, I still like my gn's. Everyone is entitled to like what they want. I don't like those cars at all, and I think they suck, but that's just my opinion, not words to live by. :D :eek:

ok, first off i had an 03 wrx and even the wrx will run 138 mph before the comp stops it. although it takes a whole lot of room to get to 138 from 120, it gets to 100 really fast, and tapers off to get to 120, and gets to 138 even slower. and second any awd turbo subie should have an auto for drag racing, you cant spool the turbo fast enough with the 5 speed, which kills the hole shot, you need to powerbrake with an auto to get out really fast. not to say that you cant get a good holeshot with a 5 spd. if a gn races a wrx considering both cars dont have any major mods that make them ridiculously fast, the wrx will whip off the line and part way down the track the gn should smoke by the rex. the 2.0 dont carry a whole lotta top end and it has to rev perdy damn tight at high speeds. th gn 3.8 is almost twice the size as the little 2.0 but i avgd 25 mpg in my car and thats including a few triple digit speeds(in short bursts), my gn gets 15-16 in the same daily drive with much less messin around(im still ironing out a knock issue). but this whole subie vs gn argument is dumb cause a subie is built for rally, UNBELIEVABLE HANDLING , and a gn is the drag car here. you wanna see a good race put a mild turn in that 1/4 mile and i dont care what control arms and springs you got, the subie will skunk the gn. dont get me wrong i love my gn, just in a diff way. what happened to my beloved subie you ask? Drunk driving kills...subarus... and fire hydrants. :eek:

havnt seen an sti run faster tahn 13.4 at the track i ran one taht had stickers on it saying cobb stage 2 talked to the guy and we ran he only went 13.6 at 102? there was an all stock sti out the same day that went 13.7 at 101 must be the drivers but i have never seen anyone get close to stock numbers wich i think are some were around13.4 to 13.2.

sti times

Yup you can mod them pretty good. I have seen few sti run 12s I am sure they have bigger intercooler and exhaust. Funny thing is thats about 2k right there. The bolt ons are $$. My neighbor spent 1k for his ss exhaust. Its all about the driver too, 2003 sc mustangs run 13s with sucky driver and have seen stock ones in the 12s. Good DD though. imop if I had the wad to drop on it.

New look to the forum...same 'ole lame, ignorant opinions and attitudes. Obviously, some of you are so biased towards one type of vehicle or another that you can't appreciate any other vehicle if it's performs as it was intended to do. For those of you who are unaware, the STi was NEVER intended as a quarter mile car. Funny thing is, it'll still outperform some of the top quarter mile cars produced today at a somewhat affordable price in nowadays economy. For the record, with little more than exhaust, on a 80 degree day in hot, humid Texas, I ran my STI to a best of 13.02 at just greater than 102 mph. This was the SAME track that a few weeks later I took my GN to for the Buick Brand X bash. Both of these cars sit in my garage. It's amazing that some people would say that Subarus(those cars) "suck"!...., especially since they were just ranked as THE most reliable cars on the roads. This was just recently...the same time frame that GM contemplated totally doing away with Buick all together (thankfully they haven't yet!). Another thing about my lame, AWD, most reliable, great resale value Subaru is that I can knock down 27 mpg, all while driving at 90+ mph with the A/C on! I believe I'll keep my POS for the time being....with the GN sitting right next to it!

whiplash306 said:
New look to the forum...same 'ole lame, ignorant opinions and attitudes. Obviously, some of you are so biased towards one type of vehicle or another that you can't appreciate any other vehicle if it's performs as it was intended to do. For those of you who are unaware, the STi was NEVER intended as a quarter mile car. Funny thing is, it'll still outperform some of the top quarter mile cars produced today at a somewhat affordable price in nowadays economy. For the record, with little more than exhaust, on a 80 degree day in hot, humid Texas, I ran my STI to a best of 13.02 at just greater than 102 mph. This was the SAME track that a few weeks later I took my GN to for the Buick Brand X bash. Both of these cars sit in my garage. It's amazing that some people would say that Subarus(those cars) "suck"!...., especially since they were just ranked as THE most reliable cars on the roads. This was just recently...the same time frame that GM contemplated totally doing away with Buick all together (thankfully they haven't yet!). Another thing about my lame, AWD, most reliable, great resale value Subaru is that I can knock down 27 mpg, all while driving at 90+ mph with the A/C on! I believe I'll keep my POS for the time being....with the GN sitting right next to it!

You put what I said in quotation but you won't won't quote me? I don't give a flying f#ck what your car's re-sale value is and I don't car what mileage it gets. If you're going to talk $hit, at least have the balls to do it right. You're the ignorant one here, I was merely expressing my opinion just like you did. I have absolutely no patience for internet tough guys...

Talk ****?...I don't remember talking any ****! What I do know is that what I stated was factual! Who cares how I decided to type it! No matter, you obviously got your feelings hurt...pride welling up perhaps?....all for just opinions as you stated above. Most of the time, people's pride wells up when they know they are wrong....Stock for stock guy, what's the better all round car?...and if Subarus suck, then leave the modern day, technology advantage out of this. Hard as it is for me to say it because I OWN BOTH, the STi takes that one. Can you honestly deny that with reasons? I'm not trying to be act tough. I have no reason to. This is a damn car forum. How is acting tough here gonna make ANY impact on my normal life. Did you fail to notice that I own both cars? I love them both...probably the GN moreso than the STi. But your statement of me talking **** is not true!

Where the hell are you guys seeing 40 thousand dollar STI's???
Sticker is 32k, and most ppl (including me) are getting them for just under 30K.
Is that still more than your 7k Gn? Obviously. Do you have a warranty? Nope. Does your car ride and drive just like a brand new car? Nope.

Could the 67 beetle I had 12 years ago, that I sunk 3500 bucks into have kicked the hell out of your 7k GN, I would bet my life on it. (it could also have kicked the isht out of 99% of STI's to be fair)

BTW to the original poster, I woudnt sweath your buddy's Legacy GT, even with a few bolt ons the legacy GT is a high 13 low 14 sec car if he drives it right. I am not a legacy guy so dont quote me on this, but I have yet to see a stock legacy anywhere near 13's.

Now a modded forester XT on the other hand.. I have seen quite a few 12 sec examples. But dont you guys run 12s with just a boost controller?? It shouldnt be much of a problem.

To what STI's run in the 1/4.
There have been a couple guys that have done 12.9 with them BONE STOCK, but thats REALLY rare and takes perfect conditions and driving. Most good drivers run 13.2. Bolt on a turboback exh, and run some sort of engine management and mid 12's are easily attainable, on the stock intercooler. I have seen 11's on the stock intercooler.
RE: trap speed
yes the AWD kills it. We run the times we run because of the incredible launch. Why do you think RWD 300chp cars dont run as fast? because of the traction. It works both for and against us. AT lower power levels AWD is a big advantage for the ET, but once you get to a certain level, RWD is the way to go, just too much loss through the AWD system

Not to call anyone out here, but dont put a theoretical 1/4 mile time in your signiture. That makes you no better than the honda douches. You claim 10's show me a slip. I have seen far to many "my car makes 500whp and is capable of 10's" running 14s to care.

give it a rest

New look to the forum...same 'ole lame, ignorant opinions and attitudes

Why is it that subaru owners seem to have an inferiority complex? If someone doesn't like your car, they don't like it and that's all there is to it. Getting all up at arms and bragging up what others view as a sh!tbox is a waste of time.

buickpower said:
Why is it that subaru owners seem to have an inferiority complex? If someone doesn't like your car, they don't like it and that's all there is to it. Getting all up at arms and bragging up what others view as a sh!tbox is a waste of time.

Another person who reads into posts rather than what the post is actually saying. I'll quote myself: "Did you fail to notice that I own both cars? I love them both...probably the GN moreso than the STi." So how is it then that I have an "inferiority complex"? A lot of thought goes into your word
"sh!tbox". Thanks for such creativity!

Davenow said:
Where the hell are you guys seeing 40 thousand dollar STI's???
Sticker is 32k, and most ppl (including me) are getting them for just under 30K.
Is that still more than your 7k Gn? Obviously. Do you have a warranty? Nope. Does your car ride and drive just like a brand new car? Nope.

Could the 67 beetle I had 12 years ago, that I sunk 3500 bucks into have kicked the hell out of your 7k GN, I would bet my life on it. (it could also have kicked the isht out of 99% of STI's to be fair)

BTW to the original poster, I woudnt sweath your buddy's Legacy GT, even with a few bolt ons the legacy GT is a high 13 low 14 sec car if he drives it right. I am not a legacy guy so dont quote me on this, but I have yet to see a stock legacy anywhere near 13's.

Now a modded forester XT on the other hand.. I have seen quite a few 12 sec examples. But dont you guys run 12s with just a boost controller?? It shouldnt be much of a problem.

To what STI's run in the 1/4.
There have been a couple guys that have done 12.9 with them BONE STOCK, but thats REALLY rare and takes perfect conditions and driving. Most good drivers run 13.2. Bolt on a turboback exh, and run some sort of engine management and mid 12's are easily attainable, on the stock intercooler. I have seen 11's on the stock intercooler.
RE: trap speed
yes the AWD kills it. We run the times we run because of the incredible launch. Why do you think RWD 300chp cars dont run as fast? because of the traction. It works both for and against us. AT lower power levels AWD is a big advantage for the ET, but once you get to a certain level, RWD is the way to go, just too much loss through the AWD system

Not to call anyone out here, but dont put a theoretical 1/4 mile time in your signiture. That makes you no better than the honda douches. You claim 10's show me a slip. I have seen far to many "my car makes 500whp and is capable of 10's" running 14s to care.

I ran 11.40@ 129 with 17" wheels and tires down in phoenix at firebird raceway. I spun half the time because of traction issues. My car will run tens with ease based on that run with 110 octane in the tank. I will show you no timeslips because I have nothing to prove to you or anybody else. Don't concern yourself with my sig and what I chose to put in it you punk. You are calling me out and I don't like it. I am more serious about my cars than most people out there. My struts probably cost half of what your car is worth. I am sorry to be a an ass but your statements are $hitty and so it your attitude. Last I checked this was a gn forum so you guys with YOUR inferiority complexes can take that $hit somewhere else. I welcome you're rebuttal....

Not sure who the above was directed at. I'm assuming it was towards Davenow because you quoted him instead of me. Let's get this straight. I am a "sports car enthusiast". If it (take your pick of whatever/whichever car) performs well for what it was designed to do, I will atleast appreciate it. That being said, I have no respect for those people who call themselves car enthusiasts (which you have not officially called yourself...I'm again assuming, so sorry if I'm incorrect) but degrade other makes of cars just because they are of a different brand, made in a different country, have a smaller/larger motor, etc. If you are one of those people, I feel terribly sorry for you. There are so many other cars out there that you would probably enjoy. Obviously, running 11's (10 sec capable), you can appreciate a fast car. I have never had a 10 sec car, but will probably attempt to achieve that within the next year or so using an '03/'04 Cobra, as I want to maintain my GN in it's current PRESTINE condt'n. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14078&highlight=grand+national+pics
Again, I'm not here to get into a pissing match. But it is offensive when members of a this board, which I believe has a slightly older, more mature population, resort to degrading other makes of cars in a way that would personally insult the owners of that particular make of car. I feel I have somewhat the right to defend Subaru on this forum. While you are correct in stating this is a gn forum, because I own both and participate here, I can say from EXPERIENCE with both makes of cars, what I feel about them....negative vs. positive. That's what a forum is for...learning from other's experiences while sharing your own. So no, I have no inferiority complex....but if I did, thank goodness I have a GN to even it all out! As for your 10 second capable GN, congrats...would love to have the same, but think I will enjoy it more as she sits....almost bare bone STOCK! Acceptable rebuttle?...ha

Sure, I'm not here to fight either. I have no quams with you or anybody else who is respectful. Someone who is older and mature such as myself and others wouldn't take stabs at my sig for no reason and make me act like a jerk to people. I won't tolerate that for one second. I have lots of friends here and am generally good natured, however, when people want to fight over stupid crap then by all means, we can fight over stupid crap. Don't take what I said to offensively, everybody has their bad days. :)

I just can't stand 4 door vehicles. All new car styling except for very few exceptions make me want to puke. I rode in an sti with huge downpipe and full exhuast along with a few other bolt-ons. I wasn't really impressed, but every import owner I talk to has a face like :eek: when they ride in it. My one friend that thought the STI was fast got a ride in a big block vega. Lets just say he needed a change of underware. Best way to scare an import owner (FWD) is to toss the back end a few feet to either side :D.
The STI will whip ass in the bendies no doubt, but a g-body with bilsteins, IROC springs (or coilovers) that is low with big swabars is no joke in corners. Main problem with making these cars handle is the tire sidewall is way to big in stock form.

All in all, I think imports are nasty looking, and the STI is a sedan which makes me puke. But I give respect where respect is due.

Joe

I can appreciate that reply Joe...I do agree with you when it comes to people reacting to the STi as a fast car. It's NOT!...it's quick! It's a little short range sprinter....although I have outrun two C5 Vettes on highway pulls in excess of 100 mph. Regardless, I have been in "fast cars" and the STi, in stock form, is not "fast"..quick is a better description! I have given several Honda boys a ride in the STi before only to have them absolutely losing their minds during and afterwards. They think it's the quickest thing on the Earth...truly sad. I feel sorry for them. All in all, the 4 door thing, I could do without, but it has been nice. I would love a 2 door, hatch STi to be introduced...but I don't forsee that happening anytime soon. So in the meantime, I'll keep the STi around until I find a suitable '03/'04 Cobra to mod or decide whether or not I want the '07 Shelby GT500. We'll see....G'night all......

I swear all of your people's arguing is pointless and vaguely pathetic. You can bitch back and forth all day about which one of your cars are better. Me, personally, think the gn's look like ass, no matter how fast they get. And I drive an STi, different strokes for different folks, some of you people need to learn and accept that.