Bubba techs

Mr. Michael

I recently bought a 1987 GN that looked pretty good right off the trailer. Now I have been working on a few things for about a month (sorting). What really amazes me is the quality of work that has been applied to this car before it got to me. One thing after another. Its nothing major, but mucho annoying.

Years ago I had a few pals with Corvettes. I wanted to go to a few Vette shows and see what all the chatter was about so I bought a C3 Corvette that I liked the look of. Once I got semi immersed into the Corvette groups I explored the forums. What I found was a common nick name for mechanics that seem to work on those cars. It was "Bubba's" - and that referred to the basic wrench turner that ended up working on old American iron like a C3 Vette. Stories of duct tape repairs & hanger wire were abundant.

So that is what i see with this 'ol Buick. The guy who sold this car of mine had it for 7-8 years. Reportedly (I bought it from a dealer while it was on consignment) he had tried to keep up with things on it - but could not find anyone that could make the car "right" again. It was painfully obvious that he was dealing with the wrong techs.

The car had a oil leak on my 1st day. I removed the valve cover (aftermarket) and find the gasket so out of whack that it had to be a concern the day that Bubba did it.

IMG_4942-2.jpg

Oh yes it LOOKS like they used gasket sealer to hold it in place... But then bolted that dude down while it slid way out of position. That causes all kinds of leaks. You figure Bubba would have checked the locater tab to see if it was still in place right? Not in this case I guess.

Then I looked at things like the seat mounts. Bubba had the seats out (for who knows why) and when they went back in did he reattach the plastic seat feet covers? Nah. Who needs 'em? Just bolt them steel feet t the carpet & let 'em be! Bubba felt the same way about the headliner trim cause when he reinstalled it he forgot to use two pieces.

Under hood? Well when he replaced the air filter and unbolted the MAF sensor he forgot where those pesky two bolts went that hold the MAF casing onto the filter housing. Thats okay right? Just let 'er float there.

The dealer told me that the car had a new turbo... I did not ask why (just wanted to get this car outta there) but I am thinking that since the wastegate puck was stuck they must have assumed it needed a turbo. Bubba adjusted the HD wastegate arm a bunch ~ but still could not get by that stuck puck. Not for lack of trying tho! Bolt on that new turbo Bubba! The customer is buying right?

Underbody. The previous owner must have pulled into a parking spot too far because Bubba had to use eleven zip ties (11) to hold the lower front apron in place once he got to it. Of course all you had to do was get the right hardware (it worked perfectly) but why do that when zip ties are so plentiful & cool to hear go ziiipppp?

How about headlight adjustment? Bubba was a mole hunter I guess cause all of the lights were pointed at the ground. About two feet in front of the bumper in fact. Why take the time to adjust those when they really look sorta just fine when they are off? You go Bubba.

There's more but I won't bore you.

Just let it be known that Bubba is out there, and he walks among us! Watch out for Bubba's.

That's what you get when you can't do simple stuff yourself and you are at the mercy of "mechanics" to do it for you. Some of the worst ones I know are all ASE certified...

That's what you get when you can't do simple stuff yourself and you are at the mercy of "mechanics" to do it for you. Some of the worst ones I know are all ASE certified...

Oh yes, this is true. While I know MANY excellent technicians - most work in very established long running places with great history & are locally thought of as the place to go. They generally cost a little more per hour but only in the short run. There are just SO MANY more hacks that are EVERYWHERE getting unknowing non-mechanical customers to allow them to "work their magic" as they whittle away at the cars bits.

It goes without saying that these cars need special attention. And non-mechanical owners need to find knowledgeable places they can have a relationship with to keep these cars up to speed.

That kind of valve cover gasket failure is quite common if not careful with the passenger side cover. Trying to slide the valve cover back over the rockers and under the HVAC box causes the gasket to catch the last rocker and pull its self loose like that.
Not all that uncommon.

Hey I get it Turbodave. I pulled that set off & put on a new factory set so I get it. BUT... Being thoughtful I then looked to see if my gasket locator was still in place. Not to mention allowing the gasket cinch time to secure the gasket so it would not slip. Quality only takes a bit longer. Bubba was in a hurry (I think a re-run of Duck Dynasty must have been on that he had yet to see). :flying duck icon here:

I use zip ties on my front air dams. Back when they were available I got tired of tearing them up if they ever hit the ground.

Freed up about 5 pounds of bolts too :)

In my case, my signature says it all...........I'm one lucky guy.:)

it is a 20+ yr old car, you should expect things to have been repaired, some correctly, some not.
I make mistakes, and the valve cover one is very common, 10 yrs ago, not as much after market parts were readily available, so some repairs were less than great. I'm glad you fix everything correctly, it will show when people look at your car.

HAHAHA! I thoroughly enjoyed this. One day I'll have to tell you all about my 70 mustang. When I pulled out the rotten plywood used to create a trunk floor replete with wood screws I found fucking rotted underwear amongst the rats dwellings in the quarter panels. It took me 2 years of work just getting that car clean. I'd venture to say that no car has been more bubba'd then vintage mustangs.

it is a 20+ yr old car, you should expect things to have been repaired, some correctly, some not.
I make mistakes, and the valve cover one is very common, 10 yrs ago, not as much after market parts were readily available, so some repairs were less than great. I'm glad you fix everything correctly, it will show when people look at your car.

Well I dunno but thank you. I have a 1967, and a 1973, 1979, 1980 & another 1987 car in my garage now. Multi makes. I have gone over each one of them over time. None of them have the Bubba fingerprint that the Corvette guys talk about (none of them are Vettes either). But my Buick sure did have Bubba marks!

Still I understand that my expectations are what they are. But if I had found underwear like M3x1c0 did ~ I may have thrown in the towel! :) :)

Id bet bubba didn't clean the valve covers before installing. Plenty of Chinese sand left in those from what I've seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk