bstc boost controller...

wes1124

just installed the controller. my first pass with it on min. was about 12# of boost. i then made a second pass and started to turn it up. got to 18# at almost all the way to max. i then made another pass with it on max and didnt get over about 15#. what am i doing wrong. i figured it would let me go to about 25# at least. can anyone give me some pointers?

The stock wastegate solenoid only has about 7# of dynamic range of control.

There's a couple ways to get more. "T" in a second solenoid in parallel, or shorten the rod to increase your max.(which will increase your minimum also).
Of course doubling up on the solenoids wont double the boost capabilities, but will get you into the mid 25 range, if you still need to go higher, you'll need to shorten the rod also.

Can't explain why you only got to 15 on that one run. The 18 sounds realistic though for a stock gate and one solenoid.

Got a pic Dave? I've never seen that before.

Sorry for the grainy picture, but it's all I have.

They face in opposite directions to mount to the same stud.

Attachments

• 2sol1.jpg
    2sol1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 2sol3.jpg
    2sol3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 264
The solenoid bleeds off boost air that would have went the actuator arm via the diaphragm in the wastegate, so the arm now exerts less pressure opening the swingarm to bleed boost so the boost pressure is RAISED.

When you bleed more air the boost level goes up, so 2 solenoids let more air back into the atmosphere that otherwise would have exerted pressure opening the puck and bleeding off boost.

The PWM voltage from the BSTC doesn't care if it is operating one or two solenoids at a time.

Therefore you get more range out of the stock stuff with the controller since it can let out more air via the 2 solenoids at the same time.

And just for clarification when you bleed more intake boost air via the solenoids the boost level goes up, when the wastegate puck opens in the exhaust housing and more exhaust air is bled off there the boost level goes down. Two different points in the turbo air flow scenario in case that wasn't clear.

That's a good explanation. So the same signal voltage to the first canoperate the second. How are the vacuum lines plumbed?

I didn't think the pictures were that bad. :eek:

Each solenoid is plumbed to one side of that white T. Then the third leg on the T is hooked to the stock Y plumbing.

Dave just curious as mine was like yours when it was on but could you run the Vac line to 1st solenoid & then out other exhaust foam filter nipple to next solenoid so there is no T used? Maybe not as effective?

If you hooked it up like that it would be in series and you'd be bleeding the already bled air through the second solenoid and there would be no difference in boost level. :eek:

It needs to be in parallel which a T connection in the original line gives you two solenoids able to bleed more air from the original source. :)

Since TurboDave is always quick to help others...

trying to pay it forward here. :)

These are from another member whose name I've forgotten. A slightly different approach. The electrical Y was from Caspers, IIRC. Don't know if they still make it.

Attachments

• dual solenoids.jpg
    dual solenoids.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 144
  • wg5a.JPG
    wg5a.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 147