Broward County Deputy shot and killed 3/6/03

WakkoSS

I work in Deerfield Beach, D/S Billings worked in unincorporated Pompano Beach, the town that borders ours to the south. After working his shift, he was working a special detail at a local Cadillac dealership...just sit in your car and watch the cars is all you gotta do. Apparantly he saw a suspicious person, made contact and ended up shot in the head. I do not know any more details than that. Billings and I shared the same radio channel and we'd met a few times, but I didn't know him very well. Young guy, with a family. Dead while making $16 an hour.

People say that they have no sympathy for police since we know what we're getting into when we agree to the 35k dollar paychecks. It's the same thing as when you climb into your 10 second race car...you know it's possible you'll roll it and maybe even die, but you never expect it to happen to you, so you take the chance. We never expect "it" to happen to us, so we agree to the job and take the chance every day...and sometimes grow complacent and stop thinking "safety first".

Please remember this next time you get pulled over and cop yells at you if you get out of the car. Remember this when two other units show up or if the cop seems jittery. He's just being safe. My prayers and heart are out with Billing's family...please pray for them as well.

Sorry to hear.

I second that condolences to the family and hope they catch the scum that did this and serve JUSTICE on who done it and help the family put closure to it.:(

Steve

That's a shame.I hope they catch the scumbag too.
The sad part is,it was probably a senseless killing.
By that I mean,no crime involved,just some a-clown with a bad attitude who didn't like being confronted by an officer of the law.

Man.. Anytime this happens and it unfortunately happens frequently with differing circumstances it is a tragedy.. Having been and going back to Law enforcement there is an additional blow when a fellow officer falls in the line of duty.. My heart goes out to the victim and his family for this situation.. I too have lost a friend in Pompano.. He was also doing off duty work and was killed with his own gun. To highlight what WakoSS is saying.. Cops are human too, and even though there are bad apples on the tree we as a society need to give the benefit of the doubt to them.. Thier actions, thier jobs are not easy and situations go from bad to worse in a matter of seconds. Everyone should try to understand that citizens have the luxury of not knowing and seeing what LEO's do. It is a thankless job, and we are the last ones that people want to see, but the first ones that get called when needed..

My thoughts and prayers go to his family, friends, and co-workers. I just printed the article and passed it out at work. We also work at a dealership and most guys just take it for granted that nothing will happen.:( Unfortunately, it takes something like this to happen to remind us to stay alert at all times.

TWO SUSPECTS COMMIT SUICIDE!!!

Meanwhile, two men wanted for questioning in connection with the murder were found shot in the head Thursday inside a sports utility vehicle, officials said.

Murder Suspects Found Dead

The men were identified as Kevin Chermark, 25, and Christopher Brad Spicer, 24, Palm Beach County sheriff's spokesman Paul Miller said.

Deputies found a handgun with the bodies and a flexible hose running from the exhaust pipe into the passenger compartment, Miller said.

Spicer was found dead in the back seat, Chermark in the front, he said.

Homicide detectives were investigating the deaths as a possible murder-suicide, and a medical examiner was to determine whether the gunshots or the exhaust caused their deaths, Miller said.

Investigators were searching the SUV for evidence.

Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne had announced Wednesday that detectives were seeking Chermark and Spicer for questioning, but refused to call them suspects in the slaying of Deputy Billings.

The 25-year-old deputy was gunned down early Sunday morning while working an off-duty security detail at a Pompano Beach car dealership.

Officers had searched the area where the bodies were found early Thursday after learning Chermark and Spicer might be nearby, but found nothing.

A deputy and his dog searched the area again later in the morning and found the bodies in an industrial complex.

Detectives questioned Chermark and Spicer on Monday but released them because there wasn't enough evidence to hold them, Jenne said.

He said new information had since been collected, leading to the manhunt .

What a waste of life!! The Deputy was an upstanding man and these 2 lowlifes take the cowards way out. God bless the deputy and his family.