Broken housing bolts

jhef83

I've got a couple bolts broke off my hot air turbine housing. One of the ones you use to rock the housing off is broke. Is there a way to get this off now without destroying the wheel? :mad: :mad:

Here's a couple pics. I sprayed and prayed last night, but it won't budge. Disregard the ebay name on pics. It's not on ebay.

Attachments

• ebay pics 044.jpg
    ebay pics 044.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 127
  • ebay pics 045.jpg
    ebay pics 045.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 118
  • ebay pics 046.jpg
    ebay pics 046.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 103
Grind of the bolt holding the retaining clamp with a grinder if you cant get it with a wrench. Then you should be able to get the exhaust housing off since you already removed one half of it. You will need a bridgeport milling machine to mill out the broken threads. Then just tap them all while in the bridgeport. Use a brass hammer(Ford wrench) to hit the housing loose. There is no other clean way to do it. Threads are 8x1.25

jhef83 said:
I've got a couple bolts broke off my hot air turbine housing. One of the ones you use to rock the housing off is broke. Is there a way to get this off now without destroying the wheel? :mad: :mad:

1.Use a dremel & cut off tool[wheel] to remove head of offending bolt.
2.The unit will have to come apart to access the broken bolts.
3.Use a center punch to get as close to the center of the broken bolts as possible.Punch to give start point for your drill.
You can use a hand drill if a drill press or bridgeport is not avilable.
3.If you have a center drill,use it to start hole for[17/64"] drill,which is the correct size used in tapping a 8MM bolt.
4.Once you get the old bolt drilled out as much as possible,follow through with your 8MM tap.

Make sure you use lots of tapping fluid or light oil if tapping fluid is not available.
When reassembling turbo,use a copper antisieze on the bolts.This will prevent future problems.Also use grade[8] bolts if possible.