broke the rear end pretty good last night

JDSfastGN

just curious what everybody thought of this. Last night on a 12-13 psi launch i broke the rear. It felt like my best 60 ft yet (probably mid to high 1.50) and i got about 20 ft out when i heard what felt like a shotgun blast in the backseat and couldn't really go anywhere. Heres the carnage. anybody ever seen this? I'm guessing something weakened it at some point in the recent past but who knows.
broken%20rear%201.JPG

broken%20rear%202.JPG
broken%20rear%203.JPG

broken%20rear%204.JPG

Never seen a diff come apart like that, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. It is an ugly mess though. Sorry to see it.

Jim

!!!!

Good job destroying that one. I busted spider gears once--didn't move 5 feet.
Just over 1 year old Eatons new 30 spline posi unit.
Next morning I was on the phone preaching like a Southern Diplomat. Had a new unit next day before noon. Later found out that the earlier units had weak spider gears. Did you ruin the ring and pinion? Mine did.

I was there last night, your car was looking good till this little problem. Good luck!

Jay (Silver car)

holy crap. Ive broke a ring gear before.. but never seen that. But the ring gear broke because the backspacing shims on the pinion shaft werent right... too much backlash... thats pretty impressive...

sweet

looking at the pic, it looks like the pinion gear may have slammed back into the carrier and caused it all. i'm not near the car and won't be able to take it apart for a couple weeks, but how can this happen? any ideas?